Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Which replacement headlight!? pic or link ??
JFG RACING Dirt Bike Headlight,H4 12V 35W Universal Motorcycle Headlights Head Lamp For Dirt Pit Bike ATV Scooters - White

Old 09-03-2022, 06:41 AM   #617

Nutcracker, 1300 miles, good on you. I’m at 740 so far. How many miles did you get out of the factory rubber? Thought I saw you mention a tire swap.

On the oil cooler, I’m going to try this little doohickey first - https://www.amazon.com/JRL-Dipstick-...ure-Motorcycle

I try to change the oil before 10 hours, figuring I average 30mph I try to swap oil at 200-300 miles. It’s usually darkened after 5-6 hours.

I did stumble on this neat kit for a CB- https://www.amazon.com/KIMISS-Motorc...07JP7BCJ4?th=1

I’m not sure that kit will work. I’ve seen some of the CRF230 guys modifying/tapping the clutch cover but it required epoxy between taps, and that bothers me.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...oler-question/

When the probe arrives assuming it fits, I’ll update on the temps.

Went thru the valves again, tightened them up to .05mm and it’s a bit quieter. I never had any running or starting issues.

I’m still hunting a replacement air filter, checked on the KTM and RMz and neither is a perfect match. The KTM was the closest. The stock filter is decent, just cleaned it and it looks new. Didn’t disintegrate or flake during cleaning and it works well.

Its always fun when the kid behind the counter looks disappointed when I mention it’s for a “China bike”. As I’m broken down and dirty, dressed in rags to keep the salesmen away…

I’m still in the newlywed phase with this bike but damn is it stupid fun. I’m trying to talk a coworker into jumping on the back and heading to a secure job site with me, like dumb & dumber with hand tools…

Good times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03935631-B90E-49C1-91DE-744F5C04C80C.jpeg (33.0 KB, 258 views)

Old 09-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #618

Does the Templar X come with torque specs? Are they printed on the bolts?

Old 09-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
JFG RACING Dirt Bike Headlight,H4 12V 35W Universal Motorcycle Headlights Head Lamp For Dirt Pit Bike ATV Scooters - White
H4 35W should provide much better road view. Does this give you more room for wiring? the original headlamp just doesn't have enough room !

Old 09-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
H4 35W should provide much better road view. Does this give you more room for wiring? the original headlamp just doesn't have enough room !
No, is the exact same headlight assembly.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
Nutcracker, 1300 miles, good on you. I’m at 740 so far. How many miles did you get out of the factory rubber? Thought I saw you mention a tire swap.

On the oil cooler, I’m going to try this little doohickey first - https://www.amazon.com/JRL-Dipstick-...ure-Motorcycle

I try to change the oil before 10 hours, figuring I average 30mph I try to swap oil at 200-300 miles. It’s usually darkened after 5-6 hours.

I did stumble on this neat kit for a CB- https://www.amazon.com/KIMISS-Motorc...07JP7BCJ4?th=1

I’m not sure that kit will work. I’ve seen some of the CRF230 guys modifying/tapping the clutch cover but it required epoxy between taps, and that bothers me.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...oler-question/

When the probe arrives assuming it fits, I’ll update on the temps.

Went thru the valves again, tightened them up to .05mm and it’s a bit quieter. I never had any running or starting issues.

I’m still hunting a replacement air filter, checked on the KTM and RMz and neither is a perfect match. The KTM was the closest. The stock filter is decent, just cleaned it and it looks new. Didn’t disintegrate or flake during cleaning and it works well.

Its always fun when the kid behind the counter looks disappointed when I mention it’s for a “China bike”. As I’m broken down and dirty, dressed in rags to keep the salesmen away…

I’m still in the newlywed phase with this bike but damn is it stupid fun. I’m trying to talk a coworker into jumping on the back and heading to a secure job site with me, like dumb & dumber with hand tools…

Good times.
I got my spare air filter from PSM. Emailed zora and he put in a po for me. Also got spare brake pads, rotors, and a graphics kit. Very reasonably priced.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #622

Thumbs Up Amazing bike. Just amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRust View Post
Thanks for all the great input. I live in Arkansas, so I don't foresee any issues registering it. I will be using it a lot off road, but also plan to commute to work on it a few times a week when the weather is good. The KPX 250 looks nice, but is much more expensive. Is it worth it over the Templar X? Is the new Templar X really that uncomfortable? As far as the carburetor, is it really that much of a hassle? Or is it a set it and forget it kind of thing, once you get it tuned?
I took the old 5speed TempX out this morning. My son was on his Bashan Storm. We had a blast!
The carb? I went from 40 to 45 on the pilot, 120 to 125 on the main, ~1mm shim on the needle. Yup, set it and forget it! I might get a new exhaust system at some point, and it might need some adjustment.

We went to the home construction site. They are finally working on levelling the far area behind the pond they built. The clay they exposed a couple of years ago was getting eroded badly with treacherous ruts, some of them now 3-4 feet deep! It was getting a little challenging!

That ZS172-FMM-3A engine is more powerful than ever. It must be getting broken in! Soooo responsive, easy wheelies, takes any hill.
Templar X is a VERY impressive bike. It's more dirt bike than I have ever owned, and I had a new ~1982 Honda XR 500 years ago!!

This Templar has better suspension, a bigger and stiffer frame, better handlebars (Pro taper clone), better controls. The engine even feels more powerful. It is just plain amazing! FUN!!

I am going to put the 49 tooth rear wheel from the new 6 speed Temp X onto that 5 speed TempX and make the old bike the full enduro off road bike. All I have to do is swap wheels-they are identical!

I did switch 13T to 14T on that 5speed, so it won't be quite as geared down. but the 39T rear sprocket should be on the new 6 speed (which still has the 13T front sprocket). That should be fine for a 50:50 onroad:offroad bike. I will get Tusk DSports for it (front and rear). They are smoother on the road, but still excellent offroad.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #623

Let us know what you think of the 39T.. i know you're still in break-in as i am, but with the 42T rear mated to stock 13T, i saw 60 on the speedo at 6k rpm. The only thing i took note of, and it may be a result of me staying below 7k rpm and not full throttling is that in 6th gear up a hill it started to lose speed and i had to downshift to 5th.. this may be a non-issue after break-in as i wont be as cautious on the throttle

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 09-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #624

Maaaaaaaaaan - I want one! I'd do an even trade for my Titan DLX on one of the Templars. I am up to around 70-73MPH on my Titan now, but it's like riding a weed eater already lost a mirror to the vibrations.. and a clutch lever lol But, with the quality of the Titan, I can already kinda guess what I'd get with the Templar. IDK about durability, but I did have an oopsie-poopsie in some muddy slate rock and came out with minimal damage - cosmetic.

Definitely jealous though - I really want that 6th gear

Old 09-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #625

Thumbs Up Luggage Rack

I noticed this soon after opening the crate, but just finally documented this.

The new 2022-1/2, 6 speed version of the TempX gets a beefier luggage rack.
I didn't bust out the micrometer, but just used open end wrenches- 15mm wrench fits over the steel tubing on the old rack (5 speed model), and 17mm wrench fits over the new rack.

And there is a SIDE MOUNT PLATE (with a hole for a bolt) on the new rack as well. I haven't come up with a way to use this yet, but a soft luggage side support system, maybe a trunk mount on top. There is also passenger footpegs to use for luggage mounting. Those footpegs are absent on the 5 speed version, but the mounting post are there, so footpegs can be added on the 5sp version of TempX.
Name:  Rack1.JPG
Views: 758
Size:  196.5 KB
Name:  Rack2.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  199.4 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 09-05-2022 at 05:33 AM.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #626

hello everyone.
I am concerned with the muffler sound of these

templar M claims to have an improved quieter muffler. That is what i want.
Does the X have the same exhaust?

Is there a quieter china rider? Hawk or tbr7...

Old 09-05-2022, 02:44 AM   #627

I think I am sold on the X.

If I cant find something nearby (looking unlikely), then I will I buy brand new vehicle and go through that hassle.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:32 AM   #628

Also, I am looking at powersportsmax. It is difficult to find information there without committing to sale ....Save by using a money order? Okay I will do that Is there no paypal? Do they take credit card other than Visa?

I will read the site some more, but I must hurry.... labor day sale is ending

Old 09-05-2022, 07:09 AM   #629

Thumper, sounds like you had a great day riding with your son, super cool.

The little engine can kick some torque at lower speeds. Had a 3rd gear, no clutch wheelie coming of a wooden bridge the other day, shocked me. I gave her the old bob and snatch and she stood right up. After 500 miles it feels a bit more enchanted.

So far I’m really impressed with the new model. Feeling the need to pick one up before the fuel injection is ubiquitous. At the moment I’m smitten with the super light weight of the base model.

AjjAxx84, that’s exactly what I wanted to do. Pads, rotors and air cleaner, I went thru Amazon message to contact them and they wanted part numbers. Would you please PM me the contact info? I have the part numbers of the pads, the rotor I’m assuming would need to be mic’d. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F9E81AEA-2A2C-41FC-9C15-D1265BAC4000.jpeg (27.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpeg 16F7BFEF-5C54-403C-BBC0-A56F779D0786.jpeg (20.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpeg 22B921FF-D3F2-4CA5-B48C-68604795C379.jpeg (50.5 KB, 224 views)

Old 09-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #630

Dslfrk, on the plug replacement, I used a NGK 7162/DR8EA.