Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
That must have been the stock head pipe? On the performance one that ships with the beast performance muffler I didnt see anything near that bad, but maybe I got lucky for once.
What did I miss here?? :?
The porting of the stock head pipe. The collar that is attached to the head pipe was welded on internally, so the weld bead impedes flow. Or, it used to.

Yes Pete, that was the stock pipe that I attached the Pit Bike exhaust to. Funny that the Beast performance pipe didn't need porting, because the Monster performance pipe sure did.
Well, I'm going to wait for an exhaust leak before I pull it off to check again, but now I'm second guessing myself. Its also quite possible the performance piece and the stock piece are made in two different factories, etc, but I just cant imagine me seeing that and not whipping out my fav tool...Mr. Dremel.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #62

Mr. Die Grinder (of the 120 volt family) is much more agressive.

Pete, did you have an exhaust gasket? If not, I can point you to an eBay vendor that sells a pack of four for cheap.

Also, do you think you might have a vaccuum leak where the intake meets the head? Just curious. In T's case, it sure explains why the PO couldn't make it run.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #63

Negative on the leaks. I puffed quite a bit of smoke near all suspect areas and it wafted away. Nothing got sucked in that I could see. I have some copper crush washers at work, no gaskets for between pipe and can although I do have material to cut from, but the exhaust on the mini can wait until gio sends me my missing box of hardware. Thanks though!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #64

Wow! That thing with the intake o-ring is wild! I will have to get mine out for a rip and see how it is now... Seems to be running really well, but have to ride it to tell for sure. If mine is still acting up, I will definitely check that o-ring... Might explain why fiddling with the stock carb made no difference at all in the way it ran. (though I still suspect a float issue on that one) Thanks for letting us know what to look for, would be an elusive thing to find otherwise.

Regards,
Stew

Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #65

You're welcome Stew.

Pete, I didn't ask my question properly. Does your Beast have an exhaust gasket where the pipe meets the head? T's was missing (maybe from the PO).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #66

Quote:
You're welcome Stew.

Pete, I didn't ask my question properly. Does your Beast have an exhaust gasket where the pipe meets the head? T's was missing (maybe from the PO).
Does your Beast have a gasket there, D?

I know my Mini Beast didn't have one there either. The pipe just slides into the port and is clamped in by a hard metal bracket shaped like a gasket.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #67

Quote:
You're welcome Stew.

Yes. I got 1 new one when i recieved the beast performance anchor, er, pipe.

Since the bike had zero hours on it (from me) when I changed head pipes, I reused the existing gasket although once crushed I shouldnt have, but it worked.

So I have 1 new, unused one stashed....wouldnt mind 4 though

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #68

Here's the exhaust gaskets I bought: http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-GL1500-GL18...item19b75b5380

Search for item #110450398080 if the link is dead, or search for siriusconincnosparts on eBay.

TurboT, yes, our Beast came with an exhaust gasket. It blew out the day you and I were riding and burned a hole in my riding pants. I secured the bolts on yours with red Loctite when I replaced your gasket.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #69

Stew reminded me about the float level in the PZ30 carbs. I remove the bowl, invert the carb and check to see that the parting line on the float is parallel with the bowl mounting surface. If the parting line isn't parallel, carefully bend the float arm until it is. I also remove the floats and submerge them in water to be sure that they don't leak.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #70

This fuzzy photo (I took it in the dark) shows the socket head cap screw I installed to replace the too-short bolt, the NGK plug wire, the NGK plug boot and the heat paint on the exhaust pipe.

After welding an extension on the exhaust pipe, I decided it was time to try and preserve the pipe. Brush-on Tremclad flat black heat paint is my preference. I also cleaned the rust off of the heat shields with some 000 steel wool and then shot 'em with a clear spray bomb. Hopefully they stay rust free for awhile. They kinda look like stainless now. Sorta.

I found a loose plug boot on T's quad when I was chasing the vacuum leak, so I swapped it for this NGK I had in stock (I know I could've tightened it, but this was an upgrade opportunity ). The NGK wire is much more supple in cold weather than the stocker and this particular boot doesn't have a resistor. Since the plug is a resistor type, I figured we could get away with this boot and not affect the CDI. We'll find out on test and tune day.

That's as close as you're getting to a polished exhaust, T.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #71

When did you do all this now??

If I knew you'd be wrenching on my unit today I would've come out. Thought you were tied up today..

Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #72

Leftover stuff from Friday. I was replacing drywall and light fixtures on Saturday and Sunday.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #73

Quote:
Leftover stuff from Friday. I was replacing drywall and light fixtures on Saturday and Sunday.
Alright just making sure... don't want you working on my quad when the wife has other plans for you.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #74

Quote:
here r u running the performance cdi on that atv too???? i just got mine but still did not put it on

Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfa18
Quote:
here r u running the performance cdi on that atv too???? i just got mine but still did not put it on
I don't think it's on yet. Our plan I *THINK* was to see how the carb and exhaust mods made on the power, then install the CDI for an additional check.

I do have one for it though, and it'll be on soon.

I liked how it made my 110cc Mini Beast run though.