Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #61

As stated earlier, I'd love to have the solid rims just to go tubeless and be able to fix flats on the fly. I experienced this first hand 150 miles out in the middle of nowhere on my Victory. Huge gash. Stuck in two tire plugs in the same hole, pumped it up with my mini-compressor and finished the trip, no problem. I was also fully loaded for tour. Didn't even have to take the wheel off the bike. That's "peace of mind".
I don't ride hard enough anymore to worry about shattering a wheel off road. As Mrs. 2LZ jokes, "You'd be lapped by a trials bike."

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #62

I think a lot of things in theory almost never play out in reality regarding things which are better or worse etc.
I only had 1 flat on my old RX3 back country China (gravelish road mud + a nail)) back wheel later afternoon and shit patches wouldn't work.
Abandoned bike forced a truck to stop take us to town slept n fixed the wheel the next day and went back looking for my bike lol.
I now have cast alloy wheel no issue but no heavy off road etc.
My upgraded spoke wheels will be made tubeless as well.

Is it most RX3 riders are a bit older wiser and not as "bull at a gate"?
Or is it all more a 0.01% chance and never happens nearly?

A lot of what is said online I feel is theory and yes it is true but it nearly never happens to most all riders worldwide - so is it a direct or reasonable threat/hazard?

Like unsprung weight - really no affect to 99% or more of people yet keyboards get bashed over all the theory, I mean we are not racing Isle of Mann etc and if it really matters then dont fit stuff on the bike or bars (Hell take off as much as you can and loose some weight that will improve unsprung weight and the likes too!)

Sometimes I feel the things said online matter none to a hair in real life for most people/riders etc.

My big front brake ONCE WE GET IT DONE will be about a 1Kg disc but better brakes versus unsprung weight increase I know which has more value in daily life and riding.

Above said is my own opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree or add their own thought for educational purposes.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #63

Well, I had 7 flats at once when I hit a cactus. Glad I had a couple new tubes.

Watched a dude rip a 2-inch hole in a tubeless sidewall, partially inflated a tube, wrapped duct tape around the tube inside the hole, put it back together, folded duct tape long ways to fit between the rows of knobs and taped up the tire, rode with him about 30 miles home.

Tubeless tires make simple repairs a bit easier. However, if a repair isn't quite simple enough, it can be a long walk out. Both technologies have advantages. I prefer tubes on bikes that ride nasty surfaces, tubeless on highways.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #64

Last June I had a sudden flat tire on a tube type tire. This was on an Interstate road @ about 75 mph in the left lane. Luckily I got the bike safely off the road. It turned out that the shop had pinched the tube when they installed my new tire about 15 minutes earlier. It took a few miles for the tube to start to actually leak. The tube was shredded so roadside repair was out of the question. I mention this to demonstrate that tube type tires are not a perfect solution. Both tube type and tubeless have their advantages. Personally, I'd rather be riding tubeless.

Peter Y.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #65

Some people recommend carrying an "in between" sized tube in order to be able to fit either the front or rear. What do you guys carry?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #66

Optional cast alloy rims so you must buy both sets?
Optional Tourfella cases? But you get the cheap plastic set keyed to ignition key?

Did I get that right? Why despec the factory offering bike?
I might be wrong and let’s hope do!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Optional cast alloy rims so you must buy both sets?
Optional Tourfella cases? But you get the cheap plastic set keyed to ignition key?

Did I get that right? Why despec the factory offering bike?
I might be wrong and let’s hope do!

Kind of looks like CSC despeced the bike. Sure, the RX3 has a bunch of extras, but they are typical Chinese quality. I was hoping for a better level of parts quality. Most folks will be perfectly happy with what is included, but I ride places a driveline fire would be a disaster. No, wait, that's BMW. Ooops. If the included accessories aren't quality, I don't want to pay for them, then pay to replace them.

Really, the only reason I bought an RX3 is to avoid putting boring miles on my 276 cc TWs and wearing them out before having chances to ride where they are intended to go. The qualities of the stock RX3 are surprisingly good, but not perfect, it's just the RX3 is so much more potential than typical Chinese cheap. If you want the best, buy the stripped version and add the good stuff. Won't save much, but just a little helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
Some people recommend carrying an "in between" sized tube in order to be able to fit either the front or rear. What do you guys carry?

Over the years I've seen too many riders with "in between" tubes end up stranded. Very easy to do so carry the correct tubes, one of each.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #68

RX3 Stock has alloy wheels and tourfella case here (special order and complex to get spoke wheels no cases as the USA version)

RX3S has 2 models plain( alloy mags no boxes RX3 headlamp areastuff) and ADV speced with alloy wheels, tourfella boxes and the RX4 type headlamp screen area parts as well as volt meter on the dash.

RX4 has alloy mags and cases no volt meter on the dash, old version RX4 had spoke wheels or maybe special order.

ALL versions have the SAME dash with USB and car charger (since mid 2014)
RX3 all had tourfella cases since mid 2014

Why not just allow customer to choose the wheels they want? the price difference retail here is pennies and could be in the USA say $100 or little more extra
spoke wheels to alloy wheels retail in China is peanut not accounting for the tyres.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #69

"Why not just allow customer to choose the wheels they want? the price difference retail here is pennies and could be in the USA say $100 or little more extra"

Would CSC change out the wheels here and be stuck with the extras? Or would CSC have to guesstimate the ratio of one type of wheel versus the other when they order a container or two of bikes and hope they guessed right? Now it's easier, the bikes are a specced the same except for color choice and anything else is a self installed option.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #70

I think the RX4 is special ordered even in China as there are not many around.
Hey I could be wrong but it looks as if CSC is taking deposit per bike per order so you order the color etc as you want? They seem to be charging sea shipping with the bike? Actually I can't see the price landed ready to register in the USA - is it $5895 plus the $345 or so sea shipping plus $50 documentation plus internal USA delivery? then plus cast alloy wheels and plus Tourfella boxes as an extra option?
I'm confused but really it doesn't affect me as I don't live in the USA but I am saying/questioning some of the tactics.

I might be very wrong and willing to admit it.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #71

Head Scratching When do the RX4’s Containers arrive from China?

Anyone know when the first container of shipped RX4’s will be arriving at CSC’s dealership in Azusa? I wonder how many containers are on their way to Azusa?
And I wonder how many RX4’s are within each container?
And as KenL stated, this should be easier for CSC since only TWO colors will be available. So the first orders should go pretty smoothly since it’s only a choice between Halloween metallic Orange and Gunmetal Silver Metallic!
Things will change big time when more color choices become available, and when and if, choices for spoke or aluminum alloy wheels and standard or deluxe hard luggage becomes a choice. That way buyers will not have to purchase and pay for an extra set of wheels and/or luggage. Since the retail sales price of the RX4’s is quite a bit higher than CSC’s other bikes, most buyers will not want to purchase extra wheels and luggage. Besides what would most buyers do with all the extra parts they would have to transport and store?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #72

I have been told by CSC that I should expect the containers to arrive around March. Of course It could be earlier or later.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 AM   #73

All seems very complex and very long winded, and why take so long?

All the options are standard here and the only thing I see as an option is getting the spoke wheels as opposed to the cast alloy wheels

Old 11-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #74

Wink Chill Out Folks

For those of you wondering why it is taking so long for the RX4 to get here, stop and recall that it has not even passed EPA/CARB emissions testing yet. Until it does, CSC & Zongshen do not even know what the final manufacturing configuration will need to be as it relates to the engine. Sure, some of the stuff that is not emissions related has been decided, but until it passes the testing and gets certification, they can't actually build or ship anything. Any delivery date they give is obviously provisional, for that reason. Since I already have an RX3 and a TT250, I really do not care when it gets here. I'll just keep riding the wheels off of them until it arrives. CSC has proven, repeatedly, their ability to import and support their bikes; therefore I'm not worried. It gets here when it gets here.

As to the current specifications, I don't believe that there is any actual "standard" RX4 configuration. Zongshen builds it however its import partners want it for any given market. CSC chose what it feels will sell best here in the US. Since it is an ADV bike, they went with spoked wheels. For the luggage, I think they made their decision based on the number of RX3 owners who actually upgraded to the TourFella cases. I'm one of them, but I see online that a lot of folks stuck with the plastic bags. Despite that, they've upgraded the top case. From the pictures that I've seen of it, it is as large as the aluminum one in the TourFella set, able to fit a full face helmet and then some. For the colors, I believe that the price dictated the curtailed choices, since CSC probably doesn't want to get stuck with leftovers in what turned out to be an unpopular color at $6300 a pop. I suspect that there will always be only two choices in any given model year, which is pretty much the same way that all the European and Japanese manufacturers do it. This is the reason that I went ahead and put in my order, to ensure that I get the color that I want, instead of settling for whatever is left in stock. Being that this is a more expensive bike than their previous offerings, I don't think that they will carry as many RX4's in stock as they do their other bikes. So if you want one, or think that you might, you should really consider putting a deposit down so that you know that you are in line for one. Otherwise, you might find yourself out of luck if you wait until they are actually here to order.

For those worried about paying for extra parts, many folks like to have an extra set of wheels. I do. It makes tire changes way quicker, since I can have a set mounted and balanced ahead of time. It also allows one to have separate dirt and road configurations (one running tubes and the other tubeless), if the alloy set is chosen instead of a second set of spoked wheels. And this assumes that people even buy the alloy wheels; folks talk a good game, but when it comes time to part with the money, they often do something else entirely different. As to leftover luggage, that's just about the best excuse one could ever need to buy another bike to install it on. There is no way that your significant other, if you have one, could possibly find fault with that argument.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Really, the only reason I bought an RX3 is to avoid putting boring miles on my 276 cc TWs and wearing them out before having chances to ride where they are intended to go.
sqwert...Do your TW's have modified TTR225 or TW225 engines? I'm thinking of going that route.