Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #61

http://scootermanusa.com/product-cat...-bikes/enduro/

Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The depreciation on one of the $5k bikes will be the cost of a Hawk. People are paying half or more for the price of a new Hawk for used ones, according to new members, so they aren't depreciating to $0 like the old GY-200 bikes from 10 years ago. However, the beauty of the Hawk is you pay cash, and it is a throw-away bike, if worse comes to worse (you crash and it's your fault and you don't have comp and collision insurance. If you mess up a $5k bike, and you are financing, you messed up your 'investment' unless you were required to carry expensive comp and collision insurance. If you decide to keep it clean and not ride it in rough conditions, then you defeated the purpose of buying a top of the line name-brand dual sport in the first place. Several people have posted photos and videos of them on their Hawk in some fairly rough terrain, so I am of the opinion that if these Hawks are getting through rough stuff, and not being their stereotype which is to fall apart, then those members, and the proof is, that these are worth the $1400 to $1500 they cost. I am not saying I wouldn't want a nice new dual sport if I had the luxury of cash like that sitting around, but if I was to buy one, I would have to finance it since that is my reality--including used ones since I never see couple year old bikes in the $1000 range, let alone the $2k range. For my intended purposes, commuting, a Chinese dual sport fits the bill nicely. To each their own, but I won't be convinced that a brand new $5k bike is a good investment.
I totally agree with you. The Hawk is a great buy and a good (dirt bike) if your not to hard on them. The original question was how to improve the Hawk and the only way too do that is to make parts and the buying experience a little less stressful. My own hawk sat for 7 weeks waiting for parts that where under warranty. Its these little things like no parts numbers. Dealers who do not care and do not stock parts. That will be the end of the Hawk. The Hawk is a good bike. Its the people who sell the Hawk that need improvement. With out good customer support you are right it's a disposable bike.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
That is a hawk you linked and it is over $2000.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #64

The Brozz is the one one the left in that link. But that pic is an OLD photo my bike don't even look like that. I paid 1500 bucks for my bike. I wouldn't have paid any more than that and def. not what is on his site. Good guys to deal with though. I drove down to pick it up. Powersportsmax.com has them too. If you want to trust them, I didn't like their reviews. Here is my bike.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
That is a hawk you linked and it is over $2000.
Look again
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 AM   #66

The link I posted was only for reference of two bikes because they sell both.

http://www.lowestpriceatv.com/hawk-d...bike-250cc.htm

That is where I bought my bike from, I didn't want post it and get Azhule on a rant again. He is kind of touchy about the Manny's and what he received.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn66 View Post
I totally agree with you. The Hawk is a great buy and a good (dirt bike) if your not to hard on them. The original question was how to improve the Hawk and the only way too do that is to make parts and the buying experience a little less stressful. My own hawk sat for 7 weeks waiting for parts that where under warranty. Its these little things like no parts numbers. Dealers who do not care and do not stock parts. That will be the end of the Hawk. The Hawk is a good bike. Its the people who sell the Hawk that need improvement. With out good customer support you are right it's a disposable bike.
In theory, all these importers/distributors are trying to set up brick and mortar dealer networks to sell their products. That is what RPS is trying to do. Places like Letsride's dealer, scootermanusa, and even 'Manny's' few places in Texas, such as Txpowersports, are brick and mortar dealers who will sell you fully assembled bikes, but most of us opt for the dice roll and the thrill of getting a bike in a box for a low price. I think someone's going to have to call a bluff and stop selling them directly to customers, ala CSC. Then we will see how low the prices can be AND convincing people not to look into used Hondas.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #68

How much more would you pay if all the common MODS where already done? Crab, valves set properly, speedometer, chain guide and certification. Just to name a few of the thing all of us Hawk owners do just to make it some what dependable. I know there are more add what you have done to yours. Also consider your time researching, shopping for parts, and the work itself.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #69

Some people are not meant for these bikes and I will just leave it at that.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #70

[QUOTE=hertz9753;238406]Some people are not meant for these bikes and I will just leave it at that.[/QUOTE

What would you change about the Hawk? ,was the question. With this mind set the Hawk will never get any better because the manufacturer looks for customer feedback in order to improve its product. If we continue to do all the work for them the Hawk will never evolve into a better bike.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #71

For me the only improvement I would like to see on the hawk is the NHTSA tag. Everything else to me is preference or specific use dependent. I don't want to pay for spiffy motard tires because I don't want a motard. I don't want to pay for a sprocket change because I like the gearing. The carb mod from the factory is never going to happen, it is that way to pass EPA. Even the Honda CFR 250 is lean from the factory so many buy an EJK to fix it.

What I don't want is the factory trying to be a Honda or KTM and making the cost of the Hawk be $2,500+.

I am willing to pay $100-200 more for an NHTSA tag, but once the bike gets near CSC TT250 pricing, then I'm out.

I'm into mine for under $1,500, Tax and Reg included. (brand new)

Nice to haves but don't increase the price:
Better rear suspension geometry
Inverted forks
Acme rocket booster (like the one Wild E Coyote had)
Bigger stator (300W)

Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #72

If memory serves, the ACME company let Wile E. Coyote down on quite a few occasions. Not sure that I would want one of their rocket boosters on my bike. As for a list of things I would upgrade from the factory:

1 - Two power leads; one up near the headlight switched with the ignition, and one under the seat that's always hot.
2 - Rear suspension that actually travels and doesn't just beat the hell out of you.
3 - Assembly manual, and separate Owner's Manual.
4 - Different handlebar geometry/stronger handlebars.
5 - NHTSA Label - This is a big one.
6 - O-ring chain and properly aligned chain guide/slider.
7 - Cam-type chain adjusters to ensure correct rear wheel alignment.
8 - At least LED turn and indicator lights, LED lights all around if I'm getting greedy.

That's all I can think of for now.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #73

[QUOTE=shawn66;238412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
Some people are not meant for these bikes and I will just leave it at that.[/QUOTE

What would you change about the Hawk? ,was the question. With this mind set the Hawk will never get any better because the manufacturer looks for customer feedback in order to improve its product. If we continue to do all the work for them the Hawk will never evolve into a better bike.
My Hawk is up to around $800 in upgrades and that's the best part about the Hawk.A simple machine that you can upgrade to your liking and having fun in the process.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
If memory serves, the ACME company let Wile E. Coyote down on quite a few occasions. Not sure that I would want one of their rocket boosters on my bike.
ACME worked well--Wile couldn't handle the power...

I don't think that Haosen has even bothered trying to get EPA/DOT for the Hawk or Magician; they keep showing up on the EPA 'Off-road' certification list. There will always be Californians who cannot buy these bikes at all, but also, several other states who can buy them for off-road, but cannot street register them.

This is the link to the lists. Sorry, but I have no idea how to screenshot these to here. You will have to link on them and play around with them. They are excel spreadsheets, so you do have to stretch them out to find the rows' titles at the top to see what you are looking for. The RPS bikes are not on either of the 2017 lists, so there might be hope (being excel sheets, the government keeps adding and adding) for street legal status...

https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-f...es-and-engines

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #75

What is the difference between the Hawk and CSC tt250 that makes the tt250 50 state certified?