Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #61

Got the cover on. Bored out the holes a little bit. Charging the battery now. I'll probably need to adjust the throttle cable but I'm hoping it goes right up.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #62

is there a way to adjust the tension on the timing with these bikes? I had to use the old cam sprocket because the one that came with the head with skip a tooth when rotated. the tension is super high and very difficult to get the sprocket on.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
is there a way to adjust the tension on the timing with these bikes? I had to use the old cam sprocket because the one that came with the head with skip a tooth when rotated. the tension is super high and very difficult to get the sprocket on.
The timing chain inside the cylinder head can be loosened by removing the other bolt on the bottom of the engine that is NOT the Oil plug.

It will drop a little bit of oil, a spring, and this longish metal piece with holes through it. This is the timing chain tensioner

I don't know exactly if there is a way to loose or adjust it but thats what I had to remove just to be able to put the cam sprocket back on.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #64

Quote:
Got the cover on. Bored out the holes a little bit. Charging the battery now. I'll probably need to adjust the throttle cable but I'm hoping it goes right up.
glad that worked out, strange that cover wouldn't go back on.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMantia View Post
The timing chain inside the cylinder head can be loosened by removing the other bolt on the bottom of the engine that is NOT the Oil plug.

It will drop a little bit of oil, a spring, and this longish metal piece with holes through it. This is the timing chain tensioner

I don't know exactly if there is a way to loose or adjust it but thats what I had to remove just to be able to put the cam sprocket back on.
Ditto. remover chain tensioner,. will give you the slack to put the chain on.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Ditto. remover chain tensioner,. will give you the slack to put the chain on.
Will I need to drain the oil first? I did when I changed the head. With setting the timing, top dead center is when the two lines line up through the viewing hole correct? Sorry for all the questions, I just am tired of making mistakes ha ha.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Will I need to drain the oil first? I did when I changed the head. With setting the timing, top dead center is when the two lines line up through the viewing hole correct? Sorry for all the questions, I just am tired of making mistakes ha ha.
This whole forum is a hub for everything Hellcat/Like-model related, ask away friend! I'm sure one of us will do our best to help out.

It shouldn't drop all its oil through the tensioner hole, it has its own channel that it sits in kinda like a tube. It collects a small amount of oil in there though and will fall out when you open it. Just have a little container below to catch anything.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #68

Quote:
You don't have to but better to drian oil...these might help you or other.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #69

Shock help.

thinking about getting one of these.
I don't know the differences of these shocks or is there any others that will work will with the Hellcat? in the $75-$250 range
thinking about the first one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GROM-...rom+shock.TRS2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Grom-...rom+shock.TRS2

Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #70

Here is a 3rd option, going by the mounting eye hole distance from center to center of a Grom ,this should fit ,it is about 1/4" to 3/8" inch longer overall .the Chart shows it fits and works with several Honda Models that are the same weight as Groms / Clones. The only question is if the mounting eye hole bushing is the same , the Seller should know or be able to check.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-260mm-1...sid=m570.l1313

The shock definitely has adjustable preload, whether or not the dampening dial actually does anything I can not say ,anyways it aint very expensive . I wanted the YSS myself but $210 , yipes lol!

I ordered a Ohlins knockoff from 402 Innovations it came in, it looks good and hopefully it will do me for now ,it has a goofy looking yellow spring tho hah.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #71

I saw that one but when i did the Compatibility thing on the ebay page
"To confirm that this part fits your vehicle, please choose a vehicle from the "My Garage" list OR enter your vehicle’s details below."

It said not compatible? well not for a 2015 grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Here is a 3rd option, going by the mounting eye hole distance from center to center of a Grom ,this should fit ,it is about 1/4" to 3/8" inch longer overall .the Chart shows it fits and works with several Honda Models that are the same weight as Groms / Clones. The only question is if the mounting eye hole bushing is the same , the Seller should know or be able to check.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-260mm-1...sid=m570.l1313

The shock definitely has adjustable preload, whether or not the dampening dial actually does anything I can not say ,anyways it aint very expensive . I wanted the YSS myself but $210 , yipes lol!

I ordered a Ohlins knockoff from 402 Innovations it came in, it looks good and hopefully it will do me for now ,it has a goofy looking yellow spring tho hah.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #72

Got everything back together. Tried to start it once before I realized the valves were not adjusted at all. Adjusted them and tried again. When I was setting the timing it was hard to get to top dead center. I had to force it another revolution. Did I break something?
http://https://youtu.be/8MifABaKUmw

Last edited by PhildoScaggins; 08-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #73

Here's the cleaned up link :

It sounded like the timing is possibly off to me, it seemed to be real tight but it was turning over and i didn't hear any loud clanks saying " sum ting wong".,as in broken.
If the timing was so far off the piston was contacting a valve , i doubt the starter motor has enough "oomph" to bend a valve and it would just stick there, but I cant swear to that. Make sure the valve lash is good on intake and exhaust, if they are too tight it can make it hard to turn over like that ,after that I'd recheck the timing. Take the plug out and see if that makes it turn over more easily ,by eliminating the compression you should be able to better identify where the "drag" or interference is originating. I wish I was closer to you ,it's so hard to diagnose something like this over the internet ,and I'm not real adept at explaining how to check what ,maybe Chinabike
or someone will pop in soon and give a hand.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Got everything back together. Tried to start it once before I realized the valves were not adjusted at all. Adjusted them and tried again. When I was setting the timing it was hard to get to top dead center. I had to force it another revolution. Did I break something?
Did you work this out?
you sure kill switch isn't on? it has gas, you check all the basic stuff first?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #75

Think i'm going to remove my oil cooler. Don't know if does anything.
And it started leaking oil from the cover that goes on the head (at that gasket). I see like a drop of oil every night. I could try a new gasket but do I really need the cooler?