Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #61

"A handmade high end lugged steel Campy equipped custom abandoned and dropped in your lap! That has not happened to me yet, that's for sure!"
-That is the only time I had that type of fantastic fortune, Fastdoc. When somebody gives me an old bike, it usually came from a discount store. However, parts from discount store bikes are fine for building cruiser bikes and pub bikes. Cheap bikes are great, but I really appreciate the nicer, name brand bikes and components.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
"There have been several single fixed gears in the past but I like the 2 and 3 speed better. Somewhere in my garage is a brand new S3X waiting for a decent frame and some Velocity rims".
-I think I would have enjoyed riding the newer fixed gear hubs with three speeds. I just had to unload most of my bikes due to space restrictions.
I've heard mixed reviews on the S3X, but I always reserve judgement until I see for myself. If I don't get a wheel built around it, I'll never know. One aspect of it I do like is that it accepts Freehub and threaded cogs. A lot of choice for gear range and the ability to swap out to an SS freewheel if need be.

I know the feeling regarding space. I sold off a bunch of stuff at a swap meet last year. What didn't sell was donated to a bike co-op.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #63

Here is the first bike that I motorized. It's a two stroke China girl engine, designed to be mounted in a bicycle frame. Bike is a Univega Alpina. I made some 50 mile round trip commutes on this buzzy little motorbike.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #64

I like the front drum brakes, especially on the motorbike. Nice job.

Those 50-80cc Chinese engines really do buzz. I built one with an old Trek MTB years ago and sold it because it put my hands to sleep. It was fun though. I heard that there is a two speed transmission that can be fitted which I thought would be a nice idea.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #65

In preparation for my upcoming Century I rode my carbon fiber Motobecane 65 miles yesterday, on the Century route. My longest ride in a while without stopping. I felt great, but if there is anyone who knows how to get the seat out of my arse please let me know lol.

Conditions were unusually good and may not represent race day. About 80 and calm winds, lovely riding weather.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I felt great, but if there is anyone who knows how to get the seat out of my arse please let me know lol.
These three things will help, Doc. (Trust me on this, I used to do training rides with 'Marathon Lon' Haldeman)

1. A saddle that fits. Brooks B17 is my choice. Flites are okay for middle length rides, but(t) when you are going to be up close and personal with the saddle for hours on end, leather has no substitute.

2. Bag Balm in the little green can for the nether regions. Your tukus will thank you. Udder balm works, too, but(t) Bag Balm is a thicker consistency and sticks around longer.

3. Last, but(t) not least, butt callouses. You can only get those from saddle time.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #67

I ride a fair amount, 100+ miles a week. One mistake is that I have several bikes I enjoy and each one has a different seat. Until the event maybe I should only ride the Motobecane I plan to use?

Where do I get this magic sauce? Bike shops?

I think it is too late in the game to break in a leather seat but I've considered that too. A lot of experienced riders swear by them.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #68

Look at farm stores for the Bag Balm. http://www.bagbalm.com/
Agway, Big R, and Tractor Supply come to mind.

Yeah, just ride the Motobecane for the time being.

I'm one of those guys. I'm still riding a Wrights W3M (Brooks B17 clone) that I got new in 1970.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #69

"I felt great, but if there is anyone who knows how to get the seat out of my arse please let me know lol."
I just moved forward or aft on the seat a lot FastDoc. I would slide my butt a little forward at the end of a straight, and then slide aft a bit at the end of the next straight to keep circulation down there. I have to do the same while riding my mountain bike on the trails, too.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #70

"Those 50-80cc Chinese engines really do buzz. I built one with an old Trek MTB years ago and sold it because it put my hands to sleep."
Cool. Didn't realize that you had built a motorized bike, 'Doc. I can only ride a motorized bike for about an hour before I need to dismount due to engine vibration. I really enjoyed the motorized bike when I lived in an area where speed limits on local roads were around 35mph. Speed limits near my current home are much faster.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #71

The vibration was significant.

I think it was worse because a bicycle saddle is ill suited for just sitting. To work it requires much of the body weight to be lifted by peddling.

Also the forward leaning position puts more weight on the hands and the windblast does not help at the low speeds compared to a motorcycle.

I wondered if the motor could be rubber isolated but it would take some engineering as movement would harm chain alignment which is critical on these contraptions.

I know there are (more expensive) 4 stroke motors now and they may be better but I've not tried one.

Mine only did about 25-28 MPH.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #72

I haven't ridden in a while due to a cough that just will not go away. However, I made a donation to an MS-150 rider today and that helped my mood. The Houston to Austin MS-150 kicks off this Saturday morning.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #73

Since we are talking bikes. I gave my Raleigh to my Dad, I didn't like it and never rode it. He rides it every day when the weather is nice.

Later this summer I am going to be working in Tulsa close to bike trails. (paved) I want to get another bike the is decent, but cheap. $300 or less cheap. I need comfort and the ability to pull my daughter's burly trailer.

Any recommendations?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #74

Look for a used Trek or Specialized hybrid or a mountain bike with road tires. Just stay away from used wallyworld BSOs.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #75

Alan, with a little bit of looking, some creativity, and a little patience, you could probably find a wonderful bicycle for less than half of your budget. If you like, we might have some fun going through your local craigslist ads and coming up with some suggestions.

Would you be using it primarily or exclusively on paper roads? On and off pavement? Gravel?