Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #61

Wait! I see it! # 64218 Dorman

Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #62

3 more Hawks invade South Carolina

I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce three new hawks in SC.
We ordered these as a family. Two for mine and one for my brother-in-law. I assembled a blue and a black, brother-in-law assembled a blue. It took about 6 hours to put the two together. Brother-in-law took a few days.
In all fairness I used to work at Honda of Rantoul (in Illinois) and Honda of Tampa. Both part time jobs back in the early 70's when I was in the military. I assembled many a CRM250 (Elsinore) before they were made in Marysville Ohio. So this task was kinda remedial sandpile.

Here are a few tips echoed elsewhere in this forum.
1) Change the oil. I use Rotella T synthetic. Great for these air cooled engines that go from ambient to close to 200F on hot days. Change again at 50K. Rotella is cheap. $12-$13 at Walmart for 2+ oil changes.

2) Change the spark plug. Picked up NGK DPRE8EA-9 's for a few bucks.

3) Set the valve lash. Both bikes were DRASTICALLY wrong. Daylight shown through the blue bike intake. About the width of a screwdriver tip. Blue bike exhaust had NO lash. Black bike had both valves with no lash either. Remember tappy is happy. RPS manual says 0.05 MM. Not inches.

4) Locktite (blue) everything. And I mean everything except the key slot. Be sure to tighten all nuts and bolts. Don't forget the triple tree. Very important.

5) Lube the cables. Don't use WD-40. I used good chain lube.

6) Inflate the tires. China has a bad air. Blue bike had 10lbs on front, 12lbs on back. Black bike had nearly no pressure on either tire. Front 32psi, Back 40psi. This is not a trials bike. Check your tire pressure daily for a while. Black bike had two bad schrader valves. I stole them from brother-in-laws truck. It will be weeks before he figures it out. (not really)

7) Tweak or replace the carb. Brother-in-law's bike has the original whatisit carb and the bike will not run unless it is half choke. I replaced the carbs with the Mikuni/Keihin PZ30 clones. After re-jetting to 110/30 and a bit of tweaking the black hawk stands on it's tail with throttle only. My wife is a beginner so her's is detuned a bit (until she finds out).
Both bikes start with no choke and after a minute or two for warm up, they are ready to roll. Warm up is really necessary for these CG clone pushrod engines. Circulate that oil!

8) Adjust that rear brake pedal. Straight in-line with the foot peg. Adjust the clutch cable (after lube).

These bikes come with the Honda CG clone engine. It is a durable, long lasting, tame and easy to maintain engine that will last for years. I found a Haosen 250 clone powering a quad runner that had 30k miles on it. The owner uses it at construction sites every day. Told me that one day he may even change the oil. I believe if you take care of these fine bikes they was last for years.

Here are a couple pics of the two bikes assembled ready for title and tags. Brother-in-law's bike will probably make it's debut on Craigslist soon. If it runs.

Blue is wife's bike, Black is mine.. All mine..

Notice the black rims. I kinda like them.

Take care! Have fun!
~ E. Roosevelt
So let's start a reality TV show about science, discussing
global warming, staring Justin Bieber.
NOT!

Old 04-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwalker View Post
Went through the same stuff you did until I found this.

Split intake gasket (o-ring). Couldn't find the missing section. Got a close replacement at the auto parts store. Runs great with Mikuni PZ30 replacement with 115 main 30 pilot. Black Hawk now stands on it's tail with throttle only. Blue hawk is jealous.
Thanks for letting us know about this manufacturing defect. I suggest every Hawk owner should examine the carburetor intake manifold for this problem. If the O-ring is not intact, you will draw dust into the cylinder, which will eventually damage the intake valve and its valve seat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwalker View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce three new hawks in SC.
We ordered these as a family. Two for mine and one for my brother-in-law. I assembled a blue and a black, brother-in-law assembled a blue. It took about 6 hours to put the two together. Brother-in-law took a few days.
In all fairness I used to work at Honda of Rantoul (in Illinois) and Honda of Tampa. Both part time jobs back in the early 70's when I was in the military. I assembled many a CRM250 (Elsinore) before they were made in Marysville Ohio. So this task was kinda remedial sandpile.

Here are a few tips echoed elsewhere in this forum.
1) Change the oil. I use Rotella T synthetic. Great for these air cooled engines that go from ambient to close to 200F on hot days. Change again at 50K. Rotella is cheap. $12-$13 at Walmart for 2+ oil changes.

2) Change the spark plug. Picked up NGK DPRE8EA-9 's for a few bucks.

3) Set the valve lash. Both bikes were DRASTICALLY wrong. Daylight shown through the blue bike intake. About the width of a screwdriver tip. Blue bike exhaust had NO lash. Black bike had both valves with no lash either. Remember tappy is happy. RPS manual says 0.05 MM. Not inches.

4) Locktite (blue) everything. And I mean everything except the key slot. Be sure to tighten all nuts and bolts. Don't forget the triple tree. Very important.

5) Lube the cables. Don't use WD-40. I used good chain lube.

6) Inflate the tires. China has a bad air. Blue bike had 10lbs on front, 12lbs on back. Black bike had nearly no pressure on either tire. Front 32psi, Back 40psi. This is not a trials bike. Check your tire pressure daily for a while. Black bike had two bad schrader valves. I stole them from brother-in-laws truck. It will be weeks before he figures it out. (not really)

7) Tweak or replace the carb. Brother-in-law's bike has the original whatisit carb and the bike will not run unless it is half choke. I replaced the carbs with the Mikuni/Keihin PZ30 clones. After re-jetting to 110/30 and a bit of tweaking the black hawk stands on it's tail with throttle only. My wife is a beginner so her's is detuned a bit (until she finds out).
Both bikes start with no choke and after a minute or two for warm up, they are ready to roll. Warm up is really necessary for these CG clone pushrod engines. Circulate that oil!

8) Adjust that rear brake pedal. Straight in-line with the foot peg. Adjust the clutch cable (after lube).

These bikes come with the Honda CG clone engine. It is a durable, long lasting, tame and easy to maintain engine that will last for years. I found a Haosen 250 clone powering a quad runner that had 30k miles on it. The owner uses it at construction sites every day. Told me that one day he may even change the oil. I believe if you take care of these fine bikes they was last for years.
Your bikes look great. Thanks for posting the comprehensive list of items to check after receiving a Hawk motorcycle, especially the valve lash. Tight valves will quickly become burnt valves.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #65

Hawk engine stumble...

I will put this out there.....I tried several attempts to make the 30mm mikuni(Chinese) work. I replaced the jets 115/30. The engine will idle very rough. Any acceleration is just awful....stumbling. Within 2 minutes the plug is loaded with black soot. Checked for air leaks, no leaks. Needle valve adjusted to second notch from the top. Floats adjusted. I have had the carb off a dozen times. I reinstalled the stock carb and it does what it does...at a low load throttle position it stumbles. Full throttle fine. Idles fine. Acceleration fine. Did I buy a bad Carburator? WM suggested the O ring on the manifold, that was in good shape. Help

Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #66

did you adjust the mixture to 1 and a half turns out?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #67

I did set the mixture. I am stumped on what it could be. Maybe their is a problem with the carb. I'm thinking the mikuni was running too rich to cause the soot on the spark plug. Maybe the jets are wrong that I ordered. Hey, maybe someone could sell me a working carb...lol. Thanks Ron, keep digging

Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79elco View Post
I did set the mixture. I am stumped on what it could be. Maybe their is a problem with the carb. I'm thinking the mikuni was running too rich to cause the soot on the spark plug. Maybe the jets are wrong that I ordered. Hey, maybe someone could sell me a working carb...lol. Thanks Ron, keep digging
I have one. $500 and it's yours!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #69

OUCH. I feel as if I have been kicked in the stomach

Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #70

Thumbs Up 30mm mikuni installed!

I ordered a second carb for the green bike. Installed today. Followed usual recommendations: Jets 115/30. Mixture screw turned out 1 1/2 turns. Needle set 3 notch from the top. Black bike will get carb installed tonight. My 2 sons bought Hawks. One of those bikes registered, no problem...out the door with a plate. I hate it for Ron B. Now looking for an air filter replacement

Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79elco View Post
One of those bikes registered, no problem...out the door with a plate. I hate it for Ron B. Now looking for an air filter replacement
ouch!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #72

New Carb...all better.

I ordered a second carb. changed jets. all adjustments as reccomended. It runs perfect! I think the first mikuni clone had an issue. Running strong now.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #73

300 kilometer report.

Yes, Odometer reads in kilometers. It seems 62% of actual mileage is a good number to use. Bike runs good. The 17t/45t sprocket set seems just a little tall. Not much difference between 4th and 5 the gear. Just an rpm drop. I may try a 47t on rear. I got my motorcycle license last week....easy Peasy. Changed oil 3 times. All seems good. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #74

sounds like you're making good progress. I had mine up in the mountains last weekend. I got a chance to ride it on some dirt and gravel roads. I was in the 25 to 45 range for speeds. it was terrific in those conditions. exactly what I wanted from it. I am going to give up the idea of trying to get 55 to 65 out of this bike. I'm going back to a 50 on the rear and ride it some more with the 17 front. perhaps it will make 5th gear more useful.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #75

dunno bout the mountain elevation , but we running two hawks w 16/45 and seems to me (ymmv) about optimal at around1k elevation, start right up with a touch of choke depending on temp, run strong, 5th pulls fine. our median main road speed is a tad over 60, secondary road easy 45- 55. one bike's chain turned to silly string at about 650 km. the other, (mine is holding up like a champ. (the walmart dupont chain spray before any substantial travel returning its usual benefits.) most riding is a 20-30 minute secondary road sprint then some hours of trail grinding at low speed.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking