Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
Yep, its me haha. I'm all over the place

Going to look at a couple on saturday. I do have another question though. If I were to buy a bike that is already tagged, and when transferring the title to my name I decide to unregister it (is that the term?), what would I need in order to register it later on down the road?
A valid title is all you will need.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #62

Quote:

Going to look at a couple on saturday. I do have another question though. If I were to buy a bike that is already tagged, and when transferring the title to my name I decide to unregister it (is that the term?), what would I need in order to register it later on down the road?
I am fairly certain that title and registration are two different things. I know that in California when I lived there years ago (I am sure it is the same) you could register a vehicle as 'non-operational' or 'non-op' and it would keep a vehicle in state DMV bureaucracy forever and ever. Arizona, too, I believe, but like my TMEC 200, I have the title, and simply let the registration lapse last May since the bike is not rideable and from April/May to around now-ish, it is so hot, I had NO desire to physically do anything to get the bike on the road (not sure what can be done at this point?). But I can sell the bike and transfer the title to another person.

So, cannot remember your state, but check to see if non-op (or whatever they call it) is even an option, which I am quite sure it should be, but check either way. Title should be a separate item, regardless, if you decided to sell it while it was non-op.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am fairly certain that title and registration are two different things. I know that in California when I lived there years ago (I am sure it is the same) you could register a vehicle as 'non-operational' or 'non-op' and it would keep a vehicle in state DMV bureaucracy forever and ever. Arizona, too, I believe, but like my TMEC 200, I have the title, and simply let the registration lapse last May since the bike is not rideable and from April/May to around now-ish, it is so hot, I had NO desire to physically do anything to get the bike on the road (not sure what can be done at this point?). But I can sell the bike and transfer the title to another person.

So, cannot remember your state, but check to see if non-op (or whatever they call it) is even an option, which I am quite sure it should be, but check either way. Title should be a separate item, regardless, if you decided to sell it while it was non-op.
Yes they are seperate things. A title is proof of ownership, and it's hard to sell a bike without one. You need registration, plate and insurance in order to legally ride it on the roads of your state. You need a title in order to register the device.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

I want to have the bike street legal, parents won't allow it though. So unfotunately until I have the ability to move out in a couple months, I can't ride it. I would leave it registered just uninsured but you gt fined for that. I don't want to pay insurance on something I can;t even ride. I know there is a title only transfer form, I just want to know if the MSO or anything like that is needed if it's used and already been registered before. Most people I've talked to about these bikes have misplaced the MSO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yes they are seperate things. A title is proof of ownership, and it's hard to sell a bike without one. You need registration, plate and insurance in order to legally ride it on the roads of your state. You need a title in order to register the device.
MSO and bill of sale are for registering the bike for the first time?

Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #65

That is what you need the get the bike registered and a title. The bill of sale if used for taxing in your state because it provides proof of what you paid for the bike.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #66

Quote:
I guess I sounded confused myself, but I don't know if all 50 states are the same when it comes to titling. Some people have stated when they were turned down by their state for street registration they didn't need a title, either, and simply road their Hawk or other brand around as an off-road bike. I always thought that they are two separate things, and since the Hawks are certified 49 state off-road, one should at least obtain a title to prove ownership.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Most people I've talked to about these bikes have misplaced the MSO.

Yes, the MSO is the paper people have to wait varying amount of time depending on who they bought their bike from, and is used to title for the first time. Bill of sale, however, is the 'receipt' you get any time a bike is sold either retail or private. Each time it is sold (commercial business or private sale), the seller should give the buyer a bill of sale.

To me, it seems like you should be able to obtain the title to the bike (assuming you are buying from a private seller), and transfer it to youself officially through the state, and not have to register the bike for the road, even if it was registered prior. These are certified as off-road bikes to begin with, so it should be simply treated as such (via paperwork) until you decide to put her on the road. No worries about insurance and such.

Here in Arizona, if I buy a vehicle through a private party, I get a title transfer, and the street registration stays with the buyer until he or she officially shows they sold it in-person at the MVD office or simply do the sold process online (usually minutes after selling to reduce liability), meaning the vehicle is in 'limbo' (but legally owned with proof being the title) until I do the extra steps of registering it in my name. In Arizona, the seller gets to physically take the license plate off and keep it as the buyer has to get a new one. The buyer can print out a temporary tag online until they bother to get it fully registered and then a plate is issued. Until then, the bike is titled and can sit indefinitely. Just because a bike was already registered and street ridden, shouldn't mean you HAVE to keep it that was as the subsequent owner. What if you planned to rip off all the lights and keep it as an off-road bike? Cars get turned into racecars, for instance...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #68

Mso? Like a birth certificate (with a VIN #) with a named legal guardian.

Then a title..(citizenship) like turning 18 and becoming a independent entity that can be owned, or bought and sold by a Republican or democratic party.

Then a "registration" in a state (50 varieties to choose, all with different rules and regulations ) to operate it on public roads. (Licence plate)

And yes, it all takes money. Sorry kiddos.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #69

Quote:
I want to have the bike street legal, parents won't allow it though. So unfotunately until I have the ability to move out in a couple months, I can't ride it. I would leave it registered just uninsured but you gt fined for that. I don't want to pay insurance on something I can;t even ride. I know there is a title only transfer form, I just want to know if the MSO or anything like that is needed if it's used and already been registered before. Most people I've talked to about these bikes have misplaced the MSO.

MSO is only used one time, and that is when the original owner went to get his title. You don't need it, because the bike is used. The previous owner signed the title over to you when you bought the bike. You always should get a bill of sale for any serious article that you buy.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #70

Quote:
MSO is only used one time, and that is when the original owner went to get his title. You don't need it, because the bike is used. The previous owner signed the title over to you when you bought the bike. You always should get a bill of sale for any serious article that you buy.
Bill of sale...good point. Referencing the Identification number or VIN.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #71

Okay I was just wondering. The last dirt bike I bought didn't have a title (91 KDX-not sreet legal so I didn't worry about it) so I had a bill of sale. With this bike, I'll mess with the title and get a bill of sale. That is if I buy it. His price is steep and I won't budge on what I'm willing to spend for a used hawk.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Okay I was just wondering. The last dirt bike I bought didn't have a title (91 KDX-not sreet legal so I didn't worry about it) so I had a bill of sale. With this bike, I'll mess with the title and get a bill of sale. That is if I buy it. His price is steep and I won't budge on what I'm willing to spend for a used hawk.
I agree with you. How much value can be left in a $1300 dollar motorcycle. 75% or $975 is the absolute most I would pay for a pristine low mileage Hawk.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #73

I think $1000 is reasonable. I've been considering selling mine in order to get an RX3, and though mine is only a few months old I'd take $1000.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #74

The grey one has 3100 miles, wants $1100. IT may or may not need work. He's one of those guys who can't text legibly. The black was wrecked. It's the same one from the first post with the bent wheel. Said he had it fixed and I think it needs a CDI, stator, kickstart or something. Only 44 miles. But.. it has been wrecked. Again, can't really understand his texts. Wants $1000.

I'm thinking $800 on the grey one, maybe $900. OR $600 for the black one. Thats if the black one seems to run/ride okay. If he won't budge, I might as well buy a brand new one and assemble it myself (upgrading as I go).

Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #75

I think you are on the right track. My $1000 is reasonable comment is considering a great condition Chinese bike. I wouldn't even consider one that was damaged or needed work for anything more than maybe $600.

Mine is in perfect shape with aftermarket sprockets and soon to have carb and jets. When I sell it, I'll probably list it at $1300 (advertising the mods) with the expectation of going to $1000.