Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by clash 168cc View Post
Do you know where to get a valve cover gasket? I heard a little tapping. Adjusted the valves. Sounds great. The valve cover leaked. Wound up using gasket maker first on valve cover grove side only. The leak stopped. Wouldn't mind having a couple of these for later. Also heard the clutches and variators are different than the usual GY6. Not sure where to get those other than maybe the dealer I bought from. I want better quality. I feel slight chattering at different ranges of speed. Maybe normal. 700miles.
If I needed a valve cover gasket I'd Google pictures and find one that looks similar. Seems there are several different types. Failing that I'd buy some bulk O ring material and super glue the ends together to make one.

As for the slight chattering at different speeds the first suspect would be the belt flapping around. I suppose you could run it with the cover off and observe what's going on. Hard to imagine any clutch or variator parts being worn at such low mileage. A different brand of belt might vibrate at a different frequency or not at all.

My scoot turned over 800 miles (indicated) yesterday and is running fine. The more I ride it the more I like it. Wish it had a bigger gas tank. I keep an aluminum fuel bottle with about 20 oz of gas under the seat for emergency use.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
If I needed a valve cover gasket I'd Google pictures and find one that looks similar. Seems there are several different types. Failing that I'd buy some bulk O ring material and super glue the ends together to make one.

As for the slight chattering at different speeds the first suspect would be the belt flapping around. I suppose you could run it with the cover off and observe what's going on. Hard to imagine any clutch or variator parts being worn at such low mileage. A different brand of belt might vibrate at a different frequency or not at all.

My scoot turned over 800 miles (indicated) yesterday and is running fine. The more I ride it the more I like it. Wish it had a bigger gas tank. I keep an aluminum fuel bottle with about 20 oz of gas under the seat for emergency use.
I found one but only over seas. Part#152MI-A-2-104. DataParts in Germany. Would be a wide o-ring strip. That idea might work.

I'll take off the cover after it cools down from 90+ deg. I have a better kevlar belt that might fix the chattering. Noticed black residue inside the cover last time I looked. Fuel bottle is good but I don't go super far anyway.

I found a tactical kit bag and put together a few basic tools that I hope I don't need including flat tire plugs that screw in with Philips head to fix a flat and a battery operated air pump.

Didn't realize how much gas I was burning till I started running most of my errands with this scooter.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedInfo200 View Post
I just replaced my belt (Gates China) with a Bando kevlar size 842/20/30.
I bought2 and I'll sell the extra for $20 including shipping if you are in the USA. Don't buy the cheap $10 or $15 Chinese shredder belts.
Let me know. Don

1100 miles on the odometer now and I pulled the cover to check the belt. Original belt is a Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 not 842-20-30. Belt is in good shape but I'll carry a spare and the tools to change it.

To get the cover off I cut off the heavy wire backing piece of the left footpeg then removed the lower shock bolt and pulled the wheel up with a ratchet strap. It would not clear without cutting the part of the foot peg mount that holds your shoe away from the plastic body panel.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #79

I got tired of calculating actual speed on the inaccurate speedometer so I ordered a GPS speedometer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22516427098...mis&media=COPY

Using my phone as a speedo works fine but it's a hassle taking it off everytime I leave the scoot.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #80

My scooter broke!

The plastic guard on the muffler broke where the attachment screws go through. Don't think I ever hit it on anything so it's just from vibration. Thought it looked pretty flimsy. I'll remove it and cut off the mounting points because it's not needed.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #81

I did another check of MPG yesterday after an 83 mile ride mostly at 55 to 60 MPH (actual speed) and got 76 MPG. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs riding at 4000' elevation. It reached 76 MPH top speed according to the speedometer which is about 62 actual MPH. Rural roads, without windshield.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #82

Quote:
1100 miles on the odometer now and I pulled the cover to check the belt. Original belt is a Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 not 842-20-30. Belt is in good shape but I'll carry a spare and the tools to change it.

To get the cover off I cut off the heavy wire backing piece of the left footpeg then removed the lower shock bolt and pulled the wheel up with a ratchet strap. It would not clear without cutting the part of the foot peg mount that holds your shoe away from the plastic body panel.

I cracked it open at 1000 miles to check the clutch and the variator and put on the new kevlar belt. Everything was good but the clutch pads and the bell was lined with grease. Had to clean and sand. Not coming from the engine.They must have greased the moving parts and the centrifugal force pushed it out to the pads. I'll check it again after another 1000 miles. Accelerates much smoother now. I used an impact to remove the Clutch and Variator and the end nuts were dented. I'm going to try removing with a breaker bar next time. Changing my oil at 500 miles with synthetic. Is that too often? Doesn't seem to burn a drop.
al

Old 10-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #83

Quote:
I got tired of calculating actual speed on the inaccurate speedometer so I ordered a GPS speedometer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22516427098...mis&media=COPY

Using my phone as a speedo works fine but it's a hassle taking it off everytime I leave the scoot.
Hope you give a review, where you installed it and how accurate it is. Was thinking about the same thing.Tried a couple of phone Apps. They were very slow to react. Google is good but too much trouble to use. Need something you can install and leave on there.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #84

Quote:
I cracked it open at 1000 miles to check the clutch and the variator and put on the new kevlar belt. Everything was good but the clutch pads and the bell was lined with grease. Had to clean and sand. Not coming from the engine.They must have greased the moving parts and the centrifugal force pushed it out to the pads. I'll check it again after another 1000 miles. Accelerates much smoother now. I used an impact to remove the Clutch and Variator and the end nuts were dented. I'm going to try removing with a breaker bar next time. Changing my oil at 500 miles with synthetic. Is that too often? Doesn't seem to burn a drop.
al

Grease on çlutch pads isn't good. Didn't see any on mine when I opened it up. There was some oil in the air filter box from being upside down or who knows what orientation during shipping.

The owners manual recommends an oil change every 600 miles which seems excessive so I'll see if it looks dirty then probably go with every 1000 miles.

Old 10-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #85

I rode the same 83 mile route today, same weather conditions, same speeds, etc., but with the windshield installed. This time it got 82 MPG. I'm checking it by weight with an accurate scale. So the verdict is that a windshield helps with MPG at least at high speed. 76 MPG vs 82 MPG.

Old 10-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #86

Quote:
Hope you give a review, where you installed it and how accurate it is. Was thinking about the same thing.Tried a couple of phone Apps. They were very slow to react. Google is good but too much trouble to use. Need something you can install and leave on there.
Shipping delay so it won't be here until the end of next week. Should be very accurate since it uses GPS signals. Not sure yet where I'll mount it.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #87

Quote:
Shipping delay so it won't be here until the end of next week. Should be very accurate since it uses GPS signals. Not sure yet where I'll mount it.

Thought about standing it up against the windshield. I would have to put in a USB. My clutch had no wear, so I am hoping it was just too much grease.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #88

If anyone figures out how to remove the handlebar plastic parts without breaking them, let me know. I found a video of someone doing it on the Click in the Philippines but I pulled on the plastic tabs as hard as I dared but no luck. I'd like to tighten the right hand mirror mount but can't reach the bottom bolt with the plastic in the way.

Passed 1500 miles yesterday.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #89

Quote:
If anyone figures out how to remove the handlebar plastic parts without breaking them, let me know. I found a video of someone doing it on the Click in the Philippines but I pulled on the plastic tabs as hard as I dared but no luck. I'd like to tighten the right hand mirror mount but can't reach the bottom bolt with the plastic in the way.

Passed 1500 miles yesterday.
There's a hidden screw under the front nose. You have to take off the black top cover piece between the headlights to gain access to the screw under the nose of the part to take off the plastics around the display. Hope that makes sense.

Old 10-12-2022, 05:42 AM   #90

Quote:
There's a hidden screw under the front nose. You have to take off the black top cover piece between the headlights to gain access to the screw under the nose of the part to take off the plastics around the display. Hope that makes sense.
Yes I did remove that screw which is kind of fiddly with a stubby screwdriver. I can lift up the front of that piece and pop out the 2 tabs that are out to the sides. I assume there are 2 more tabs at the sides of the speedometer but didn't want to force it too much. Did you successfully remove it without breaking anything?