Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #76

Tank Vision Motorcycles

How's it going, gang? Anyone doing any riding? I got the bike out on Tuesday for a little "messy" (because of the melted snow) ride. Just had to get some miles on it. Just did 20 miles total....got tired of cleaning my visor off all the time! Well, more snow is coming...as usual. We'll have some 50 degrees-plus days after next week, so I'll try to get some more miles on the ol' bike then. Later!

Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #77

I did a lot of riding since the final miles on the break in. My wife decided to go visit the family in Florida for a few days and I had some vacation time available so I said why not. The night before I departed I went through a very through inspection, changing fluids adjusting this greasing that until I found everything to my likings. I packed a travel bag and strapped it to my seat, installed a dual power sockets to the battery so I could charge my cell and use my GPS. I went through my road box to make sure I had everything for road side repairs including spare tubes, tire repair kit, plugs, tool kit (and not the one supplied) ect...oh BTW, I seen some pics of Lifans and other bikes with a luggage trunk attached to the luggage rack, I opted for a medium size Pelican Case that is super tough and is totally water proof plus it came in the same color to match the scheme of my bike. Ok back to the trip...I left at 04:00 in the morning to get a jump on traffic, I live 150 miles to the first interstate on ramp so I thought if I made it that far the trip is on. 150 miles later I find myself exiting to the New Orleans exit for a pit stop and some coffee, the bike performed flawlessly. I got back on and proceeded to Mississippi, as I crossed the state line I passed up one of Mississippi's finest men in blue. I had a gut feeling he was going to pull me over and sure enough he did, I pulled off to the shoulder and as I was fetching my credentials I was thinking....hmmm I wasnt speeding, every thing was legit with the bike, IM GOING TO JAIL!...lol. But that wasnt the case, he approached me and said, wow man you really trust this bike? Came to find out he bought one a few months back and was hesitant on the durability and performance of the bike, but after seeing me on the interstate and keeping up with traffic it changed his mind, he told me that the only riding he been doing was on back roads and trails around his house. A hand shake and a 20 minute conversation I got back on and started looking for a rest area, the coffee had to leave. As I was inspecting the bike before continuing the journey I was getting a strange feeling of being watched and sure enough there was a couple of old school bikers getting off of their hogs coming my way. here we go again. To my suprise they were more interested in the bike and less concerned about it being chinese made...nice guys...I started her up and looked down at the GPS, I traveled 465 miles and had almost another 398 to go. A brief moment later I enter Alabama, fueled up and changed the oil and plug, I was averaging 200 miles to a fill up which I thought was outstanding but the ride was starting to wear on me, my GY-5 doesnt have the comfort of a cruiser and my back and as$ was starting to feel it. I called the wife and told here where I was and would see here in a few hours. Well I arrived in Jacksonville after being on the road for 14 hours, my average speed was 75 mph and did it at a comfortable pace, my rpms were between 8500-9000 and was well away from the red line, the engine ran strong and easy but than again Im only 5'7" and 180lbs. So for any of you guys who think that your bike isnt interstate worthy...think again. Please remember before you take a trip like this, know your limitation and your bikes limitation.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #78

Maybe the cop was Deputygene, LOL ! great story. I knew the GY-5 is the bike to do some serious miles. My Jetmoto is in need of a new engine (long, sad, story from months ago :( ) and am glad I never found out too much the hard way if it would last doing distance.

Your story is going to influence more of us to ride some distance. A few guys are planning a portion of the Trans-AM Trail, or TAT this spring. If I move to Vegas as planned, once I settle in, around October or so, I plan on riding back to Yuma down the Colorado River on Highway 95. I will think long and hard doing it on my Jetmoto, even with a brand new Lifan motor; just superstitious, I guess, so a brand new Lifan GY-5 will most likely be my new ride, and the Jetmoto for back-up.

I never did get across the border by bike, so if I remain in Yuma, I will risk life and limb crossing into Mexico sometime, maybe this Spring. I do want to try a Phoenix run, and if RPM does make it to Tucson, that will also be a consideration. You da man :!:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #79

Well, the plastics on my Tank Trail 200 are hard and brittle. The tank covers have both cracked. Tank is going to replace them, they sent me new red covers for the other trail 200 they sold, but they do not mount up right. They did look cool though. They were sent back and I am waiting for new tank covers. Last week I broke the black plastic inner fender that holds the taillight. Once again, Tank only had fenders for the "other" 200. They are going to get me new ones. The dealer has been great, keeping in touch with me almost daily on parts progress. No mechanical problems at all with the bike. It had been cold here but warmed up today. Said to heck with it and got out a roll of duct tape! Several wraps later, the back fender was taped in place. Me and my son then went trail riding for the afternoon. The fender stayed in place. Went for a few short street rides, no problems. I am now at 240 Kms, will change oil at 300. Plan to take both bikes to Ind next weekend for some trail riding. I wonder if, when we return, my bike will pass inspection with the back fender held in place with duct tape?. I hope the replacement fender is a little less brittle.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #80

Tank Vision Motorcycles

Man! That is one cool ride! I'm jealous...hahahhah! Sounds like you had a great trip. My wife always takes a vacation each year with her girlfriends. This year, I was just planning on riding the bike into work each day while she was gone. I think I'm gonna have to take some days off and have my own adventure instead! Glad you had fun out there on the open road, dude.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #81

Im glad you guys are getting inspired to take your bikes out and do some miles. This may or may not be the reason why we bought them...right? Our bikes are only as good as we treat them, I know before I get out to do any riding I check everything twice. If theres any doubt in something you could always pospone the trip until you feel that the problems are corrected. This is a do or die situation gentlemen...are we going to be limited to the riding we do cause we own a bike that the general public thinks is cheap garbage? Set out and go forth and blaze your own trail into this new era of chinese bikes, screw the general publics thoughts about our "red" machines, prove to friends and family that your bike has what it takes to compete against the american and jap bikes. Show them that your proud to own a chinese made bike and ride it with pride...but be sure to do one thing....Dont forget to go back and pick up all the parts that fell off during your trip...j/k lol. Get out there and put some miles on your rides, the bike can handle as much as you can dish out. Trust me after 14 hours and frequents stops, I was ready to quit before my GY-5 was. Maintenance is the key and will unlock all the doors to the journeys you will plan. Make sure you have a back up plan in case you run into any road side problems, pack a road box. I have a road box that contains all the tools to strip and rebuild the entire bike and it fits in a case 11"x10"...as big as my luggage rack. It contains a small LED flashlight, 10 in 1 screwdriver, 2 pliers(needle nose and standard), knife, 3/8 ratchet and sockets 10mm-18mm, wrenches 8mm-15mm,4" 3/8 extension and plug socket, 12pc allen wrench and plenty more. The whole kit weighs maybe 8 pounds and is mounted to my rear rack. I also have a 3"x10"L piece of PVC pipe that is capped at one end and has a clean out trap on the other which holds 2 tubes, various electrical terminals and tape, tire repair kit as well as the irons, plugs, spare chain, and tons of other things. I painted this tube to match the color of my bike and zip tied it to the back side of my forks, it looks completely factory and is my guarantee that I'll never be left on the side of the road, well only if the engine blows. Preparing yourself with gear like this is time consuming and has to be well thought out but it gives you the piece of mind to get on the road and explore.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #82

Went out again today, beutiful weather. Went out on a mixed ride, about 60/40 street/dirt. Just went cruising on the street, 70Kph mostly, which equals out to about 45mph. Short ride, maybe about 35 kilometers. Got back decided to go trail riding with my son. Made one lap on the trail and lost my speedo cable. Figure I am up to around 300 kilometers now, and time for an oil change.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #83

Wow your really having problems with your Tank, is the dealer you purchased it from going to be able to supply you with parts? Im glad you were able to get out and ride today, the forcast for today in louisiana is 50 for the high and sunny but we have wind gusts to 30 MPH, I dont think im going to try and brave the wind being that most of the area I ride is all highway, I could take it through the marsh but salt water isnt real healthy for our bikes. The nearest place to dirt ride is about 100 miles north of here so I would have to be really motivated to go there. It sucks living on the southern coast of louisiana but the fishing is great....lol. Im glad that you and your son are enjoying some quality trail time. My wife and I dont have any kids nor plan on any, but my neighbor is a single mom and her son is 13, I bought him a Lifan 110 and take him riding on some local gravel farm roads around here, just seeing the look on his face makes the trip worth all the while.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #84

Well, so far no big problems. The plastics are kinda cheap on a lot of the bikes, I think mine was a 2005 model and some of the newer ones are getting better. My dealer has been good, he is getting the parts replaced under warranty. They sent new tank covers, just sent the wrong ones. The rear fender shouldn't have broke, but I did hit kinda hard that day. Maybe I will be able to get all of these replaced at one time. The bike runs well and starts easy. If it will keep running, I'll be happy.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #85

Tank Vision Motorcycles

Well, I still haven't gotten around to fixing the 2 cracks in the fairing, yet. It's just been too cold. Next week we should have some warm days, so I'll make some repairs and hopefully get in some decent riding.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #86

Changed oil today, figured it was around 300kms. Oil was dirty with nothing but a few shiny shavings. Checked the filter screen for the first time. I had driven it about 20 kms with the oil that came in it before changing. I am going to change again at 500 Kms. My dealer continues to do great, he called me again today saying that a fender had been found. I checked the speedo cable, and sure enough it had broken near the speedometer. maybe that was the buzz I had heard ealier. He ordered a new cable also. I will be sure to lube this one real good. I am leaving for Crawford County Ind. Thurs night, planning to take the bike along with me, hope I luck out and get a little good weather. Still happy with the bike, the problems so far have been more like annoyances.
Got to ride for a litte while after changing the oil, about 30 minutes of trail time. Cold, but fun.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 AM   #87

Thursday in IND and you'll get to ride in the snow!! What route are you taking to get up this way? If you are coming thru or near Frankfort, KY at a reasonable hour I'll buy ya a cup of coffee.

I'll be in Owensboro, KY today

Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #88

We will be going by Frankfurt, don't know when now, with the weather looking like it is. Going up 75 through Ky, then 64 to Ind. We are going to the Marengo area of south Ind. I wanted to take the bike, but don't want to haul it if I can't ride it. My aunt has some nice areas to ride though. Guess i'll wait till the last moment and see what it is gonna be looking like. I'll pm ya my cell number in case we can come close.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #89

Tanks

It's finally warming up! I'll fix my fairing cracks tomorrow and hopefully get on the road by Tuesday. We have some 50+ degrees days coming up this week, so I may even ride to work if it's not gonna be too cold when I leave work at 0200. There's supposed to be more snow coming, next week I think, so now's the time!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #90

Tanks

Well, I didn't fix the cracks in the fairings, but I did ride! I went to the local bike shop and got bar end mirrors. Man, what a difference! I can actually see behind me now. It was 50+ degrees and tomorrow should be even warmer. I plan to fix the fairing tomorrow morning then ride Wednesday!