Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
The main isn't really going to help much with the idle. The main is for 1/2 throttle to WOT. I constantly refer to this illustration:
It's running fine now. I don't know if I just didn't have enough fuel in the carb or the line yet, because I had just put it back together. It seems to be running and idling great now. I'll put some more miles on her in the next couple days and go from there. Thanks for all the input fellas

Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #77

yeah I cheated on mine with not changing the pilot.... yet. I have it sitting right here on my computer desk. It's too cold and I dont have enough time. So instead I have my needle set to the fattest setting and my screw out 2 turns. I know I should fix it but it runs great and starts easy. Spring project......maybe

Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #78

Specific carb settings

Hey JMM,
I'm in Marlborough, MA. You upgraded to the Mikuni VM26 carb, purchased a 115 main jet, and then added shims to your pilot jet? Did I get that correct? Where do you buy those shims? How many do you add?

Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #79

I think they are called washers.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmania View Post
Hey JMM,
I'm in Marlborough, MA. You upgraded to the Mikuni VM26 carb, purchased a 115 main jet, and then added shims to your pilot jet? Did I get that correct? Where do you buy those shims? How many do you add?
"Motocheese" has a great tutorial on YouTube on tuning the stock carb. I threw in a 110 jet, from a kit I bought on eBay. Came with 10 different jets, from like 90 to 125. And the shims are just two washers, which he says allows it to run a little more rich. It made a huge difference at idle on a cold start up. I did the airbox mod as well, changed the factory oil, and threw a NGK spark plug right off the rip, before I started it.

The stock setup has some tough idling issues and I couldn't keep it idling by itself on a cold start, without giving it partial throttle. And it took a few tries to get it to start. Now it starts first shot and idles fine. I have some minor tweaking left to do, but already a world of a difference.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #81

shims/washers go on the needle
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
"Motocheese" has a great tutorial on YouTube on tuning the stock carb. I threw in a 110 jet, from a kit I bought on eBay. Came with 10 different jets, from like 90 to 125. And the shims are just two washers, which he says allows it to run a little more rich. It made a huge difference at idle on a cold start up. I did the airbox mod as well, changed the factory oil, and threw a NGK spark plug right off the rip, before I started it.

The stock setup has some tough idling issues and I couldn't keep it idling by itself on a cold start, without giving it partial throttle. And it took a few tries to get it to start. Now it starts first shot and idles fine. I have some minor tweaking left to do, but already a world of a difference.
Are you using the stock carb, or the Mikuni VM26?

Old 03-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #83

Quote:
Hey JMM,
No, you don't have to shim up the needle on a Mikuni. The Mikuni has 5 slots in the needle. Shimming up the needle is what you do with the stock carb...ARH

Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #84

I'm on a stock carb for now

Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #85

Anyone else having a problem with their stock/factory battery? Mine needs to be put on the tender amlost after every time I start it once or twice.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #86

Quote:
Anyone else having a problem with their stock/factory battery? Mine needs to be put on the tender amlost after every time I start it once or twice.
I have heard other complaints about the battery. It seems that if, after you add the acid, you charge it at a higher rate then 1 amp, the battery never is reliable.....ARH

Old 03-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Battery has to be properly activated before charging. After adding the acid you should let it set for about an hour to activate before charging and should be charged at a slow rate.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #88

Quote:
Hey JMM,
My one sister lives in Marlborough, and the other lives a few miles away in Oxford!!

Welcome to the forum from another newbie!!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #89

My battery isn't all I would wish for. I filled it and put it on the battery tender. Charged up in a couple hours. Put it in the bike. It would vent fluid when I bounced the bike any. On the tender while on the bike, it will vent fluid. Since it sits off level, maybe it shouldn't be filled much over the plates. I did use all the acid. Now the sealed Chrome battery from Wal Mart is on the charger to replace it.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooter View Post
My battery isn't all I would wish for. I filled it and put it on the battery tender. Charged up in a couple hours. Put it in the bike. It would vent fluid when I bounced the bike any. On the tender while on the bike, it will vent fluid. Since it sits off level, maybe it shouldn't be filled much over the plates. I did use all the acid. Now the sealed Chrome battery from Wal Mart is on the charger to replace it.
You should have about an inch of acid left in the bottle,you over filled it.