Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #76

Seems to be a crunchy bearing sound starting from around the front sprocket. Funny cause everything has been dialed in nicely. Was thinking to get some new tires and this noise starts creeping in. I haven't taken off the cover to look at it yet so we'll see what I find later. 'where's that z190 link,....'

(finds it)
https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=79

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
took off cover and ssprocket looked ok. On the stand in first and second it doesn't make the noise at all. I think it might be front wheel bearing. I'll check later this evening.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
spun front wheel around but seems tight and quiet. I'm not sure wth this sound is. I'll try making a recording and post it.

Last edited by cbrfxr67; 11-29-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #77

Had this creaky, plastic, hollow strange sound from the front for awhile and went ahead and did the wheel bearings, thinking there isn't any other moving part it could be. I ordered Grom bearings on the fly, hoping they'd fit. Luckily the bearings fit. Seal on one side fit but on the speed pickup side, not so much. My old one was in good shape so I reused it.

Never used this style front stand before though I've had it for years. Worked ok but I like the understem stand better.

Craptastic bearings out

All balls replacements. So this kit works but again, you'll need a bigger seal on the speedpickup side and end up with two extra seals, but the bearings are smooth and bring a smile to my face, not hearing that weird sound anymore.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #78

I would check the rear wheel bearings too. They may be fine, but in my experience if one set of wheel bearings is starting to go out, the other set are often not too far behind. Better safe than sorry.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #79

I see you have got it all sorted out , but just as a footnote-

Keep a sharp eye on chain tension, especially on a Vader ,doubled down if you are running the stock chain. The stock chain just stretches faster than anything I've ever seen ,and for whatever reasons the Vader seems sensitive to almost any slop in the chain and you will get strange noises from the front sprocket cover area, which will be even more sensitive if you have gone up to the 17 toof front cog.

I actually installed a dirt bike style spring loaded tensioner to help with the issue in between actual chain adjustments which helped tremendously on cutting down chain slap and noise.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #80

Thanks for tips redcrow! I did have my chain loosening up on me and making me . Solved my problem with extra lockwashers on the adjusters. So far been ok.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #81

Quick update,...still going well for the most part. I think I'm at 1250 miles now, or right around there.

Did have my throttle lock up in the rain. The rain drips down the cable into the rubber grommet and into the top of the carb. Gritty dirt rides with the water and coats the slide. When enough builds up, the slide ain't sliding no mo' and mine got stuck around 5000 rpm. I clutched it home and opened it up, cleaned and lubed it and back to normal.

I used 6" heat shrink on the cable and over the grommet. Hopefully next time I get stuck in the rain it'll be ok.

Still happy with my Vader.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #82

Any more updates? I have really been thinking about getting a mini bike for the hell of it for a while now. Would love to stuff a ZS190 in one as well. How many parts for a grom fit on these?

Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #83

Most Grom bodywork and chassis parts will fit right on, however engine parts or parts that bolt onto the engine ( some engine stunt crash guards bolt to the engine sides for example) will NOT fit because while the frames and bodywork are virtually identical , the engines are two different designs and the holes will not match up .This is not really a problem tho because there are parts for chinese scooters / pit bikes for almost all the applications of that type where Grom stuff won't fit. For example, i run a blue anodized skid plate on my Vader ,a Grom one wouldnt fit but i easily found one on Ebay for "chinese pit bike" that fit right on there.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Most Grom bodywork and chassis parts will fit right on, however engine parts or parts that bolt onto the engine ( some engine stunt crash guards bolt to the engine sides for example) will NOT fit because while the frames and bodywork are virtually identical , the engines are two different designs and the holes will not match up .This is not really a problem tho because there are parts for chinese scooters / pit bikes for almost all the applications of that type where Grom stuff won't fit. For example, i run a blue anodized skid plate on my Vader ,a Grom one wouldnt fit but i easily found one on Ebay for "chinese pit bike" that fit right on there.
I don't give a shit about the engine. I want to slap on a ZS190, i was talking more about parts like swing arms and wheels.

http://www.msx125accessories.com/hon...earch=swingarm

http://www.msx125accessories.com/hon...s#!prettyPhoto

I would like a slightly longer wheel base and tires for stability if i slap in a big bored ZS190.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #85

It is good to hear most body work fits, i would love to give it a new tail end.

http://www.msx125accessories.com/bod...m#!prettyPhoto

Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #86

Nothing new on updates but 190 would be sweeeet. Just having another gear past 4th would be fantastic.

Going home today felt some slop in the rear and found the lower shock mount loose, like the bushing disintegrated. Wish I had an upgrade handy to swap in. Anyone know of shock that works and decent quality? Of course maybe I'll open it up and replace whatever fell apart in there. ��

Last edited by cbrfxr67; 03-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
Nothing new on updates but 190 would be sweeeet. Just having another gear past 4th would be fantastic.

Going home today felt some slop in the rear and found the lower shock mount loose, like the bushing disintegrated. Wish I had an upgrade handy to swap in. Anyone know of shock that works and decent quality? Of course maybe I'll open it up and replace whatever fell apart in there. ��
Get a rear Ohlins Shock Clone. Mine came in a while back. Haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
The grom bolts were bigger than the crappy little one Jiangsu used. So, I drilled out the hole to accept the bigger bolt. Yes it was a pita.
I got some Grom engine bolts and haven't put them on yet. How did you drill out the holes in the engine case? What type of drill bit etc.. etc..

Do you think it is something a newb could do?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #89

If you don't want to drill out the casing... pretty sure it's M8 bolts (check my other posts. been a LONG time). Just get some that are Class 10.9 or better yet Class 12.9.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
If you don't want to drill out the casing... pretty sure it's M8 bolts (check my other posts. been a LONG time). Just get some that are Class 10.9 or better yet Class 12.9.
Thanks. I got a set of the 8mm too. I am still not sure which way I'll go.