Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yeah, pet peeves. Folks who don't read enough posts on this site before buying (in the case I'm thinking of) a Hawk. Not doing due dillegence, in other words. There are oceans of words on this site about "sorting out the Hawk" for the last couple of YEARS for pity's sake! Actually three years, believe it or not. Three years of accumulated experience, and too lazy to read it! My sympathy for self-inflicted wounds is even skimpier than it used to be. Even Hawk Talk has pages of information on the problems Hawks have from the factory. Almost all of them easily solved. IF you know how to use a wrench - - or want to learn. If you want to learn, we'll be happy to help you. The Hawk is a 1200.00 dollar motor cycle. It is basically a good motor cycle - but you'll have to put some sweat equity, banged knuckles, and maybe blood and tears to get it there. And the other peeve? Stuff like Gee, I'm like totally upset, (Dude) because I'm having tire trouble all the time. They won't hold air! AND YOU BOUGHT A DUAL PURPOSE MOTOR CYCLE? You've never heard that with a dual-sport, you have to be on a first name basis with your tool box? Jeez, give me a break!!!!ARH
Between Google, YouTube and this site there ain't nothing that you can't fix on these bikes weather your an expert mechanic or a newbie. I've seen a few members on this site in the passed year I've been on here that never touch a motorcycle that are now helping other with what they have learn.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Between Google, YouTube and this site there ain't nothing that you can't fix on these bikes weather your an expert mechanic or a newbie. I've seen a few members on this site in the passed year I've been on here that never touch a motorcycle that are now helping other with what they have learn.
Absolutley right! But they gotta look!!!ARH

Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #1023

Pretty sure if you are within 50 mile of a fellow hawk owner on this site we will drive down and actually help you learn. In fact, I bet if you decided to go coast to coast you would have support the entire route, and prob free 🍺

Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Pretty sure if you are within 50 mile of a fellow hawk owner on this site we will drive down and actually help you learn. In fact, I bet if you decided to go coast to coast you would have support the entire route, and prob free ��
I would be that guy.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I would be that guy.
YES! That's the kind of network we need to go along with this forum!...ARH

Old 11-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #1026

If anyone needs help or a place to crash around the Phoenix area, look me up. I'm happy to host or help out.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #1027

I guess that makes me the middle of nowhere support? Unlikely anybody will pass through the middle of the great plains.... but here I am lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Pretty sure if you are within 50 mile of a fellow hawk owner on this site we will drive down and actually help you learn. In fact, I bet if you decided to go coast to coast you would have support the entire route, and prob free 🍺
Don't own a Hawk, but if you are in my 'neighborhood' stranded on any China bike, I will always be happy to help the forum family out if I can

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #1029

On another forum I’m on, xs650.com, we separated the us contnent into sections. A directory, if you will. Nw, ne, sw, se etc. that way instead of pushing your bike for miles and miles, you might be pleased to find out the house you just past has a well setup garage, and someone that knows these bikes, and can get you motoring back on your way.
1972 Honda xl250
2x early 90's Honda rf600 parts bikes
more mc junk laying around.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus67 View Post
On another forum I’m on, xs650.com, we separated the us contnent into sections. A directory, if you will. Nw, ne, sw, se etc. that way instead of pushing your bike for miles and miles, you might be pleased to find out the house you just past has a well setup garage, and someone that knows these bikes, and can get you motoring back on your way.
This makes a lot of sense. Anyone want to try to start tackling this? I know we have some members that only pop in every few months (or in the case of some distributors, right after they get a negative review ) but it seems like we have pretty decent coverage with the members who check in pretty regularly. Thoughts?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #1031

Quote:
Yeah, pet peeves. Folks who don't read enough posts on this site before buying (in the case I'm thinking of) a Hawk. Not doing due dillegence, in other words. There are oceans of words on this site about "sorting out the Hawk" for the last couple of YEARS for pity's sake! Actually three years, believe it or not. Three years of accumulated experience, and too lazy to read it! My sympathy for self-inflicted wounds is even skimpier than it used to be. Even Hawk Talk has pages of information on the problems Hawks have from the factory. Almost all of them easily solved. IF you know how to use a wrench - - or want to learn. If you want to learn, we'll be happy to help you. The Hawk is a 1200.00 dollar motor cycle. It is basically a good motor cycle - but you'll have to put some sweat equity, banged knuckles, and maybe blood and tears to get it there. And the other peeve? Stuff like Gee, I'm like totally upset, (Dude) because I'm having tire trouble all the time. They won't hold air! AND YOU BOUGHT A DUAL PURPOSE MOTOR CYCLE? You've never heard that with a dual-sport, you have to be on a first name basis with your tool box? Jeez, give me a break!!!!ARH
I made sure to stress much of this in the couple of videos I made for Youtube, but alas people wont listen sometimes, or don't bother.

That said, while there is definitely a lot of info out there, it does tend to get buried and much harder to find. I have, for a while now, contemplated making a resource guide that could hopefully turn into a sticky. Either listing a lot of well known information, page guides, or links to other members write ups and information. I have just been too busy to sit down and do it.

That said, if anybody wants to PM me with a link to their own write ups or other useful tech information. Thread link and page numbers/post numbers. etc. I can start said thread right now with some of my own information and update it as I go.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I made sure to stress much of this in the couple of videos I made for Youtube, but alas people wont listen sometimes, or don't bother.

That said, while there is definitely a lot of info out there, it does tend to get buried and much harder to find. I have, for a while now, contemplated making a resource guide that could hopefully turn into a sticky. Either listing a lot of well known information, page guides, or links to other members write ups and information. I have just been too busy to sit down and do it.

That said, if anybody wants to PM me with a link to their own write ups or other useful tech information. Thread link and page numbers/post numbers. etc. I can start said thread right now with some of my own information and update it as I go.
How do I find those videos? Is Megadan in the title? I'd sure like to see them...ARH

Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #1033

Quote:
How do I find those videos? Is Megadan in the title? I'd sure like to see them...ARH
I havent made a video in a while, but the channel on Youtube is oddballperformance. I do plan on making some tech/how-to's eventually. At the moment most of my videos are "hey, here is my bike" and one opinion piece on my Hawk vs. what many naysayers bring up.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #1034

So I have my thread going with most of the stuff I can do off the top of my head. If you guys find anything to add, especially from this thread, link me to a particular post or at least a page and post number where said information starts that might be helpful in answering many questions in more detail.

This is true of things like Carb Tuning etc. I will try to update it as I find it, but more eyes out there, the easier it will be to make a complete guide.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #1035

Shop Time

Yes, in most places in the country, riding time is rare, but shop time is plentiful. Hopefully, you have a pile of wood, or a half ton of coal for the shop stove, so that you can work in some semblance of comfort. One of the more important winter jobs is greasing the steering head bearings. The Chinese must think that grease is gold, considering how little of it they use. Now, in more than 65 years of riding, I've never seen a set of worn out bearings, but I have seen plenty of ruined bearings from neglect, and in-adaquete grease. And rain. Most greases sold in the US are soap based, and will go away and emulsify from running water. Result? The ball bearings will rust where they contact the races. And the races too. So now you have round balls that are no longer round, running in races that have little pits in them from the rust. Tapered roller bearings are, if anything, even worse than ball bearings in surviving this kind of abuse. When I worked for Mother Harvestor, you'd be amazed at the number of bearings in the transmission and rear ends of equipment stored in metal sheds over the winter, then put into the field in the spring, and then failed just when needed the most. Metal buildings "sweat" in side everytime the sun comes out in the winter. Condensation in the engine, transmission and rear end was the result. If nothing ever got moved before the oil was changed (EVERYWHERE!!) all was well. But most people don't do it that way. They cange engine oil spring and fall, and think our recommendation on changing rear end/transmission/hydraulic oil once a year was just a way to get them to spend more of their money. That is, until I borrowed a 1 1/8th inch wrench and let all of the water out of ther transmission and rear end housings into a one gallon can that I carried with me, because a one quart mason jar wasn't big enough to hold it all. So clen the old grease out of those steering head bearings, and re-grease with the highest quality marine grade grease you can find. Outboard Motor dealers all sell the best marine grease there is. Don't pinch pennies on this - buy only name brands...ARH