Just so other members know, the prices of the parts are VERY reasonable! :P

Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
THANK YOU!!!!!

I am grateful.

PM sent.

Just so other members know, the prices of the parts are VERY reasonable! :P
Thank you for your business, and your patience, Brother Bill. As with everyone else, I want to see this bike running as quickly as possible! I am also eager to hear your impressions of the bike's performance, handling, et cetera.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #108

UPDATE:

SpudParts arrived today.

Still not running.

I replaced the CDI. No improvement.

I replaced the coil, same result.

I have the old stator and pickup units out and the new ones installed. I don't have time to button it up yet but lets pray this was the problem!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #109

Quote:
UPDATE:

SpudParts arrived today.

Still not running.

I replaced the CDI. No improvement.

I replaced the coil, same result.

I have the old stator and pickup units out and the new ones installed. I don't have time to button it up yet but lets pray this was the problem!
I'm hoping the new stator and pickup coil will fix the problem; getting the 250GS running would be a very nice Christmas present!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #110

I just got back form church. I may try to put the cover on before visiting friends.

Once they got started, The Zong Cube People shipped the parts very fast. The quality and price of the parts was amazing, and the books are useful too, although a bit difficult to follow being in 'Chinglish' :P

Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #111

Quote:
I just got back form church. I may try to put the cover on before visiting friends.

Once they got started, The Zong Cube People shipped the parts very fast. The quality and price of the parts was amazing, and the books are useful too, although a bit difficult to follow being in 'Chinglish' :P
Your experience with the Zongshen Cube (Zongshen America) was very typical in all respects, Doc. The Zongshen parts customer must frequently exercise patience and persistence to verify the availability, and the prices of his parts. However, once the prices are quoted, shipping usually occurs pretty quickly. Also, as you have discovered, Zongshen parts are high quality, and very reasonably priced.

Anyone contemplating buying a Chinese motorcycle should be aware that getting Chinese parts is going to be more difficult than obtaining Japanese parts. The Japanese motorcycle manufacturers have an extensive, global support network unrivaled by even the European manufacturers, let alone the Chinese. However, if you are willing to exercise patience, and persistence, you can get high quality, reasonably priced parts from Zongshen America. Qlink seems to offer faster service than Zongshen America, but QLink also appears to charge much higher, Japanese prices for their parts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #112

Another update.

The Zong continues to defy me.

New stator, coil, CDI, plug, cleaned and checked the carb, changed the oil, set the valves and still no joy. No sign of life at all.

Comparing the spark to Q it is still not as strong but I don't know if that's the problem.

I didn't check it's compression but I can't imagine a bike with so few miles could not have compression.

I just don't know.

Anyone got $200 for a project?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #113

Dont give up. We just need to troubleshoot.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #114

My first thought before the coffee kicks in is to check each wire from the stator for continuity.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #115

Don't give up, Doc; I'm sure we can figure things out. For starters, I would certainly check the compression to eliminate it as one of the potential problems. For the engine to work we need spark, fuel, and air (along with compression, proper timing, et cetera). After replacing all the components in the electrical system it appears the spark is fine; perhaps it is time to look for problems elsewhere.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Don't give up, Doc; I'm sure we can figure things out. For starters, I would certainly check the compression to eliminate it as one of the potential problems. For the engine to work we need spark, fuel, and air (along with compression, proper timing, et cetera). After replacing all the components in the electrical system it appears the spark is fine; perhaps it is time to look for problems elsewhere.
Spud
My thought is to check that you are pumping air. Good suction at the carb? Pull the header and see if you can feel air moving when it spins over?
Many moons ago at a part-time job:
I had a customer bring in a lawnmower that would not start. We tried everything you've done, so far. We had spark. Good compression, Gas and starting fluid...no luck.
Finally pulled the muffler it was built around the shaft and found a dirt dobber nest clogging the exhaust port??? 8O
Bill R

Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #117

Doc,

I believe you have replaced the stator, pickup coil, CDI unit, ignition coil, and spark plug. If weak spark is indeed the problem, it might be caused by the following items.

Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted: Try another new, NGK spark plug, and make sure the gap is correct.
Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble: I believe your new ignition coil included a new spark plug cap and high tension wire.
Spark plug cap shorted or not in good contact: Perhaps you have a bad electrical ground in your wiring system?

If you don't have a bad electrical ground, Zongshen might have sent you a bad CDI unit. If your electrical ground is good, and your problem is indeed caused by a weak spark, I suspect you got a defective CDI unit from Zongshen. :roll: Have you had a chance to check the cylinder compression?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
Spud
My thought is to check that you are pumping air. Good suction at the carb? Pull the header and see if you can feel air moving when it spins over?
Many moons ago at a part-time job:
I had a customer bring in a lawnmower that would not start. We tried everything you've done, so far. We had spark. Good compression, Gas and starting fluid...no luck.
Finally pulled the muffler it was built around the shaft and found a dirt dobber nest clogging the exhaust port??? 8O
Bill R
Good ideas, Bill.

This bike sat in an orchard under an awning, covered for a year. Who knows what nested where in it. BUT it was parked because it dies when the prior owner was riding it, so whatever is wrong also must include some mechanical failure.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #119

Quote:
Doc,

I believe you have replaced the stator, pickup coil, CDI unit, ignition coil, and spark plug. If weak spark is indeed the problem, it might be caused by the following items.

Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted: Try another new, NGK spark plug, and make sure the gap is correct.
Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble: I believe your new ignition coil included a new spark plug cap and high tension wire.
Spark plug cap shorted or not in good contact: Perhaps you have a bad electrical ground in your wiring system?

If you don't have a bad electrical ground, Zongshen might have sent you a bad CDI unit. If your electrical ground is good, and your problem is indeed caused by a weak spark, I suspect you got a defective CDI unit from Zongshen. :roll: Have you had a chance to check the cylinder compression?

Spud
New NGK. Indeed I've tried two.

The new coil had a wire and cap. I also tried a Hondoid/Lifan new coil/wire/cap. Same weak spark. Switching between the new and old CDI makes no perceptable change, weak spark.

I removed the coils ground wire and used a grinding stone on a drill to expose bare metal, no paint, and reinstalled the ground wire. No joy.

I've not checked compression. I don't have an adapter that will fit but I can do the old tumb test Brother Dan talks about in his online motorcycle course.

I've not worked on the bike for a couple of days since my last post. Im on Frustration Vacation. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #120

Quote:
Quote:
Doc,

Spud
New NGK. Indeed I've tried two.

The new coil had a wire and cap. I also tried a Hondoid/Lifan new coil/wire/cap. Same weak spark. Switching between the new and old CDI makes no perceptable change, weak spark.

I removed the coils ground wire and used a grinding stone on a drill to expose bare metal, no paint, and reinstalled the ground wire. No joy.

I've not checked compression. I don't have an adapter that will fit but I can do the old tumb test Brother Dan talks about in his online motorcycle course.

I've not worked on the bike for a couple of days since my last post. Im on Frustration Vacation. Maybe tomorrow.
It seems you have replaced, or improved the entire electrical system, Doc. Have you tried jump starting the bike from one of your automobiles? Perhaps you have a problem with either engine compression, or the carburetor. :?: Enjoy your Frustration Vacation; it is well earned.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220