Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Can lifters be replaced with the motor in the truck and the heads on?

It's low mileage. 107,000 miles in 22 years.
V6 can be one of 3 engines / 2.9L ,3.0L or 4.0L in a 1992 ranger 4.0 requires head removal

Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #107

Took all the seats out. The carpet by the rear door is damp. The door must leak back there. It is really stained too. Removed the rear seat brackets and pulled the carpet up. The brackets for the rear seat are different and the mounts are not there to move it forward one row. I was hoping to use it there. No big deal. 11 seats is enough. Going to put the bolts back in, but leave the brackets out. That will make it easier to load and unload items. Used my harbor freight corded impact. Makes quick work of those large body bolts. I like I will pick up a horse stall mat for the rear area.

I fix the passenger entry door with some zipties. (Chinarider style). Cable was stretched. I used two zipties to take up the slack. Works now. So far I have not spent anything on this van other than time.

Next is to repair the seats. Driver seat the armrest is broken. I think I need to weld a stop in place. Two of the bench have broken seat backs where everyone used the to pull themselves out. I think I can remove fabric and repair.

Oh. Its Buford approved. He spent the night in there.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
V6 can be one of 3 engines / 2.9L ,3.0L or 4.0L in a 1992 ranger 4.0 requires head removal
That's mine.

4.0 OHV 'Cologne' engine.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Took all the seats out. The carpet by the rear door is damp. The door must leak back there. It is really stained too. Removed the rear seat brackets and pulled the carpet up. The brackets for the rear seat are different and the mounts are not there to move it forward one row. I was hoping to use it there. No big deal. 11 seats is enough. Going to put the bolts back in, but leave the brackets out. That will make it easier to load and unload items. Used my harbor freight corded impact. Makes quick work of those large body bolts. I like I will pick up a horse stall mat for the rear area.

I fix the passenger entry door with some zipties. (Chinarider style). Cable was stretched. I used two zipties to take up the slack. Works now. So far I have not spent anything on this van other than time.

Next is to repair the seats. Driver seat the armrest is broken. I think I need to weld a stop in place. Two of the bench have broken seat backs where everyone used the to pull themselves out. I think I can remove fabric and repair.

Oh. Its Buford approved. He spent the night in there.
If your work passes the Cat Scan you're in good shape.

Good work on the door latch repair. I'd have done the same thing, it works and no one will ever know.

I would imagine 11 seats would be enough. What is the maximum number of seats?

I told you a Mormon Van was the way to go!

LOL!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #110

Big Gulp is turning out to be the perfect vehicle.

I had a 2009 Caravan that produced a wet carpet at the rear of the van. After considerable dismantling, I found the cause to be a failed plug weld (or rosette weld) at the top of the rear door opening. At the factory, they welded two pieces of sheetmetal together by drilling a hole in the top sheet, laying it over the second sheet and filling the hole with molten metal.

That worked fine for all of the other holes, but this particular weld burned right through, causing a hole. The hole was sealed with paint, but over time the paint cracked and fell out, allowing water from outside of the rear door seal to migrate inside.

I filled the hole with a rivet, smeared RTV on both sides and reassembled it. Problem solved.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #111

Doc, It has 15 seatbelts. I am taking out the 4 passenger rear bench permanently and then next 3 passenger bench will be removed, but the mounts left in place in case we need more than 8 seats or we are going someplace and give them space to spread out. So far I have over 300 miles on this tank of gas. Not sure how many gallons that is. I think its a 37 gallon tank and I have over a 1/4 tank left.

We took it to the little park down the road to play soccer and swing. Found two pallets and a chunk of aluminum awning material. Plenty of space for that stuff in there. Plus that V10 sounds so cool.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #112

Few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2150115.jpg (82.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P2150107.jpg (93.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P2150111.jpg (83.3 KB, 15 views)

Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #113

Your girl and the puppy are so cute it's not reasonable.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #114

:-)

Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #115

Its officially referred to a the "Big Gulp". The girls approve.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #116

Big Gulp was treated to a new reese tri ball and a 7 pin rv connector to flat 4 wiring adapter. I think tomorrow we will get insurance and then later this week get the tag so we can be legal.

Also thinking about one of these. Chinarider budget stereo. The factory stereo does not turn off. This unit has backup camera input and DVD output for the rear screen later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Boss-Bv9...item5afb027e80

Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #117

When you say the factory stereo does not turn off, do you mean that it continues to play after you shut the engine off? If so, just open the door, and it should shut off.

Apologies if you already knew that.

Cool head unit. A second monitor is a great idea.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #118

No. If you press the off button it does not turn off. It flashes and then comes back on. You can turn the volume down. Its not a super big deal. It turns off with the ignition.

The plan is for some backseat monitors. We don't need high end stuff so this cheaper unit should do the trick. I also plan to install a back up camera so I can see the trailer hitch.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #119

We took the broken seat out and repair it today. The guys on the Ford forum said that it couldn't be done. They don't realize that I am Dutch. Stubborn and cheap.

I cut a piece of 1x1 tubing and welded it into place after straightening and tacking the sheet metal back into place.

The rear most seat is the one we fixed. It looked like the one ahead of it before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2170133.jpg (95.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P2170149.jpg (80.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P2170151.jpg (77.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P2170158.jpg (88.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #120

'We took the broken seat out and repair it today. The guys on the Ford forum said that it couldn't be done. They don't realize that I am Dutch. Stubborn and cheap.'

I love it!

Nice work on the seat, looks good.

That 3-way ball will come in handy.