Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #106

Much to report today.

The TW tank leaks, so I'm committed to the terrific Zong tank. The pucks fit perfectly, but the mounting hole was too small and too far aft. I drilled out the hole, then I elongated it forward to accept the rubber TW mount.

The tanks are very similar in size, but the Zong tank has some nice detail in the upper portion that breaks up the shape. I really like it.

This shot shows how the rear of the TW tank is squared off, and that's the only way the top clamp will fit. I scribed a few lines and trimmed the end square.

The tank doesn't quite meet the seat, but I'll eventually make some filler panels. Once I recover the seat in black, I doubt that it will draw the eye. The seat precludes me from moving the tank up or back. No big deal.

I really like how the seat meets the tank from the rear view.

I repacked the steering bearings the other day, and wanted to show this pic. The steering was very notchy, and my buddy said that's caused from wheelies; when you land, the bottom cone nails the bearings at the front, and the top cone hits the bearings at the rear. You might be able to see from this pic that the steel tube is actually bent out, right below the steering lock. I was able to clean and repack the bearings and eliminate the notchy feel.

The new Acerbis headlight fits nicely with the ABS tubes; Son of Weldangrind laughed his head off.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #107

The Acerbis headlight looks great! You're making excellent progress, Weld. I'm glad my Zongshen fuel tank found a good home.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #108

It gets better. Click on the pic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #109

That's wonderful! The Zongshen fuel tank looks great on your TW200!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #110

Thanks! The bike literally fired right up, after sitting for who knows how many years. It's my guess that it was laying on its left side in a field for a long time; the air box was full of oil, and I presume that it came from the vent hose. The filter was saturated with oil, so it hadn't disintegrated. I just cleaned it and oiled it with Maxima Fab1.

I sure hope my new parts arrive soon. I really want to take it for a spin.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #111

Son of Weldangrind and I let the engine warm up thoroughly, then we shut it off and drained the oil. It looked awful. I'm not going to change the filter yet, but I did clean the screen behind the drain plug. There was no schrapnel.

I hope to get the signals sorted out tomorrow, and perhaps the tail light and indicator lights.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #112

Congrats! You got yourself a runner! 8)

I was kind of thinking with the new tank and cleaned up carb we would see a running vid pretty soon, good stuff!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Son of Weldangrind and I let the engine warm up thoroughly, then we shut it off and drained the oil. It looked awful. I'm not going top change the filter yet, but I did clean the screen behind the drain plug. There was no schrapnel.

The Yamaha/Zong oil filter, located under the right crankcase cover, is constructed of a metal screen, and is reusable. The metal mesh of the oil filter is finer than the screen behind the oil drain plug. Therefore, the oil filter always picks up more gunk than the screen behind the drain plug. :roll: I encourage you to remove the oil filter cover, and clean the oil filter with solvent. Don't be surprised if you find a lot of crud on this oil filter; that's normal. I clean my Zong's oil filter at every oil change. These metal oil filters are very well manufactured. It not abused, the oil filter will probably outlast the motorcycle itself.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #114

I have a washable Yamaha filter on the bench that came out of the bike, but I installed a disposable Yamaha filter when I was prepping the bike. Therefore, I don't want to discard the disposable filter until I've ridden it for an hour or so. Upon changing the oil next time, I'll install the washable filter.

I didn't realize that there was a washable filter in the bike when I got it. I purchased the replacement before ever working on the bike.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Congrats! You got yourself a runner! 8)

I was kind of thinking with the new tank and cleaned up carb we would see a running vid pretty soon, good stuff!
Thanks.

I wasn't sure about the carb, because fuel continued to spill out of the overflow hose every time we moved the bike. The needle seems to have seated itslef, because it's not leaking anymore.

I forgot to mention that I also changed all the wheel bearings and cleaned and lubricated the brake mechanisms. Both brakes have plenty of material on them.

The battery was bone dry, but I filled it with distilled water this morning and stuck it on a trickle charger. You never know. The bike needs a little power even to kick start, and it's possible that this battery will come back to life.

Son of Wldangrind and I discovered something that we've never seen on a bike before, and I'm sure it's old news to you fellas. You can use the electric start when the kickstand is down, but it will shut off the instant you kick it into gear. I think that's clever. :idea:

Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #116

Love it, I always liked the TW's but never saw many (maybe 1 in a dealer once?) around here. I might have missed it, but did you replace the back tire on it? It looks like brand new! Are those big tires easy to find and reasonably priced? Headlight looks super on it as well, she'll be on the road in no time!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #117

It came with a new back tire. Replacements are priced fairly at online bike shops; Bridgestones are OE, but you can get aftermarket stuff that fits.

The Acerbis headlight was the result of a sweet trade; I'm very grateful to have it.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #118

I noticed on the pic of the engine that the carb has what looks more like a enricher plunger than a choke lever, does the TW use a CV type carb?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #119

I don't know what model year it began, but the latest TW200 bikes have Teikei MV28 carburetors, the same as my Zong. The TK MV28 is a constant velocity carburetor, with a fuel enricher. The Teikei carbs for the TW200 have a dual throttle cable, while the Zong has a single throttle cable. Other than that, the two carburetors are virtutally identical.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I don't know what model year it began, but the latest TW200 bikes have Teikei MV28 carburetors, the same as my Zong. The TK MV28 is a constant velocity carburetor, with a fuel enricher. The Teikei carbs for the TW200 have a dual throttle cable, while the Zong has a single throttle cable. Other than that, the two carburetors are virtutally identical.

Spud
Ahh, good stuff! I like the CV carbs, they automatically compensate for altitude changes. Plus, they don't have that bog when you wing it wide open like a typical slide carb. Lol, I'm really going to keep an eye on Kijiji for one of these now... Mebbe set up an alert...

Edit: Lol, mebbe not... These bikes are scarcer than hens teeth in these parts, I'll just have to ride vicariously through Welds