Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #106

Been thinking. Hard. Not gonna sell the quad, but most likely gonna shalf this project for a while and getting a bike next month. Hopefully a Honda. They might not be the most exhilarating things but dammit they work.
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 07-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #107

Dang it this dirty commie dog isn't gonna best the Finnish sisu. Moped for a day, got hammered, slept on it, checked nettimoto to see nothing available for any reasonable price mid-season so not a whole lot other choices but to trudge through this. I'll tell ya even a tire that small puts up a surprising amount of fight because of that wide lip. Got it off eventually and sanded the whole thing bare metal as it was pretty badly rusted. Got an acid etch primer doing it's thing on it as I write this, gonna go paint when I get the baboons to bed. Painting a bowl like object presents it's own challenges as the spray wash from the can collides with the rim and blows the incoming paint off the rim so gotta paint it in small bursts or else most of the can will just float out the door.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #108

Not sure if it`s the 13 years as a private contractor or what but I just cannot sit on my hands when there`s stuff to be done. Also might have helped to have spent three years studying as an electronics tech so I might have a certain edge over an average forum user on this but just broke my own record of fully wiring up a gauge cluster. For the heck of it happened to clock the attempt, without counting in the time spent for mapping out the wiring on the quad as normally I`d have a wiring diagram, took me an hour and a half to fully wire this thing in. Ok ok speed sensor needs fitted, a mount made to the handlebar clamps and it needs programming but all wired up functions do work. Apart from a parking light indicator as this cluster does not have one, and that s required to pass inspection so an external light needs to be fitted for that.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #109

A small thing but still a thing... Made this mount plate off a piece of scrap so it's not particularily clean. Meant to be a temporary thing but if I know myself at all it'll turn into a permanent one, and I have to live with myself every day so...

Could have made the groove more shallow since I decided to bend the bracket back. Oh well I'll make the permanent one better (as if...)

I managed to trace down a 14mm hose block for the coolant temp sensor but to get that means a trip to the city so gonna wait til sth more comes up to make it more worthwhile.

I also fiddled with different options on how to mount the new speed sensor to the rear, proply gonna drill a hole through the sprocket to fit the magnet bolt onto it and mount the sensor under the swingarm. I was thinking whether or not to make a bracket then bolt it onto one of the underswing mudguard bolt holes since I won't be fitting it back on but swiftly solved that problem by promptly snapping a tap into the thread when cleaning it up. Yea, thanks, guess I'll just weld the bracket on then...

Right side rear rim has been painted with the first color but the paint seems to dry reeeeally slowly so gonna let it cure for a week to make sure the masking tape won't lift the paint off.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #110

Wheel #1/4 ready to receive the tire back on. Next I need to figure out a way to jack the quad up on the table so that I can take both front wheels off. And get some other brand silver paint, the silver needs a WEEK to fully cure, the black was touch dry enough to remove the masking tapes in 15 MINUTES!

Old 07-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #111

Question for the quad guys here: how doe you feel about flipping the front wheels around? I understand it should make it more stable to ride at higher speeds but the tradeoff is faster wear on bearings and balljoints, stiffer turning at lower speeds and possible bar jerking when braking at uneven grip.

Worth it or no? Only gonna checkerboard one side.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:19 AM   #112

If you've got quality components, bearing-wise, the difference should be negligible, as long as it isn't egregiously bad.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #113

Egregious... Learnt a new word today yay Guess the only way to know is to try. It's not that big of a difference but I've had some cars in the past where the PO had put aftermarket wheels on that had the ET too in making the wheels sit too far out and the parking lot steering characteristics resembled drawing a compound bow. First you go hnnnnnng on the steering wheel then the tires go plop to the stop.

Got an another carb related question for you guys. I think I've gotten the carb tuned about as good as it gets. I have good steady idle, I have good throttle response at WOT but I STILL have some spitting/popping/rev fluctuations at mid throttle. I'm finding some references to a needle jet from the internet but cannot determine whether or not that is sth you can buy and swap for a Keihin PZ30 as I can find nowhere that would sell me such a jet. Now what? Can I shim the needle even higher than bottom clip or will it do anything more? Am I SOL with this carb? Can't imagine that being the case as I'm hardly the first one to put a PZ30 carb on a CG200 engine.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #114

heres a silly question for you... when you rev it up, does it burble off idle? it is possible that the needle is almost too rich when you go tot he bottom slot... i would try it in the middle slot just for the heck of it, or even a the slot above middle just to rule out a lean condition.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #115

Gets off idle just fine. I tried the slot dance all the way from top to bottom, it got a wee bit better every time but I ran out of slots before fully curing the issue. I'd suppose I could try a main jet one or two clicks bigger, only problem is I haven't got a clue what the current one is as there's no markings on it.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #116

and now you see why 90% of us swap out for a mikuni....LOL if you have a precision numbered drill bit set you could try opening it up to the next size, but most people dont have that....LOL

Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #117

When I bought the Keihin PZ30 Pumpy I kinda thought I'd have the real mccoy since I got it from a reputable company here in Finland instead of ordering from ebay but since it has no jet markings etc I'm getting inclined towards it being a pirated copy after all despite the castings on the side.

I'd surmise a 110 and one-two sizes up and down should hit the mark. Just TBH I'd rather stop shoveling cash on this and finally get in a ride or two before the winter sets in.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #118

That`s 3/4 rims done, the fourth one needs to be sent for straightening as it`s had a bit of a ding at some point. The tape I used to do the borders left a bit of glue behind on the black but that can easily be wiped off with a squirt of label remover spray, that is after the silver paint has fully cured first.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #119

Not entirely sure what happened here... I debated a long time with myself whether or not to paint the ammo can/battery box but as it was the only green and/or army thing in the whole build I decided it doesn`t fit and gave it a squirt. Etch primer first then wrinkle black on top. What you`re looking at is me putting a third coat of gloss black on top as the wrinkle black paint decided for reasons unknown to me cure light grey. At first I was accusing the etch primer reacting with the wrinkle paint but then remembered these were the exact same paints that were left over from painting the valve cover of my old Benelli Tornado and that came out black as the night. All fixed now but got me way more pissed than it should have.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #120

Well who would have thought this project could ever suffer a setback!

Dropped the front wheels off to a local tire shop for a remount this morning, at about 5pm the guy called me... One of the rims actually collapsed the lip during the process as it was rusted so thin it couldn`t take the pressure, and with the other pair the bead of the tire ruptured. So now with three bum rims (left rear is bent) I`m looking at buying a complete set of BOTH new rims AND tires, another 500 down the gutter feck yea!!!

On a brighter note I found a local metal shop willing to have a go at truing the rear axel for me so need to disassemble the back end next.