Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #616

So I got my hawk off Craigslist today . Rode it all day then opened the gas cap .it released a lot of pressure when I opened it like it had a vacuum on it . Later maybe 2-3 hours I took it for a short ride it started acting weird like I wasn't getting any fuel . Pushed it all the way home battery went dead from cranking and it wouldn't kick over . I could smell fuel also . Once I got home I jumped it no luck . I opened the gas cap again and closed it back and it fired right up . I didn't try and ride it again but it acted normal. Any ideas ? It's bone stock only thing I've done is changed oil and took off the spark arrester

Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #617

Sounds like it either has no vent hole, or the one that's already in the cap is plugged.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #618

That's what I was thinking too it's not venting I looked at cap I don't see a vent hole anywhere on it . Can someone check there gas cap and lmk if you have a vent hole . It's a hawk 1 . I gotta disable that beeping it does when turn signals on too lol

Old 04-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #619

just put a couple strips of duct tape over the opening of the beeper and it deadens it pretty good.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-30-2017, 02:13 AM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer89 View Post
That's what I was thinking too it's not venting I looked at cap I don't see a vent hole anywhere on it . Can someone check there gas cap and lmk if you have a vent hole . It's a hawk 1 . I gotta disable that beeping it does when turn signals on too lol
I think the vent is to allow air to push gasoline down when the tank is emptying yes? Check out motocheez on YouTube, he has tutorials for the hawk 1 and how to remove the beeping. I think it's a cable under the seat but I don't exactly remember

Old 04-30-2017, 02:23 AM   #621

breather..so the tank dosn't build a vacume as the fuel is used...
thats why when you opened the cap it worked... broke the vacume..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2017, 03:44 AM   #622

Known as a vented gas cap. Commonly found on fuel systems that do not feature an EVAP system, and as mentioned by Pete, designed to allow air to flow into the tank as the level drops to prevent vacuum locking the fuel flow. It sounds to me like the valve is seized or stuck. Depending on the style used, it may be possible to check the operation by hand. If you have a parts warranty for the bike still, I would say contact the store you bought it from so they can send you a new one.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Known as a vented gas cap. Commonly found on fuel systems that do not feature an EVAP system, and as mentioned by Pete, designed to allow air to flow into the tank as the level drops to prevent vacuum locking the fuel flow. It sounds to me like the valve is seized or stuck. Depending on the style used, it may be possible to check the operation by hand. If you have a parts warranty for the bike still, I would say contact the store you bought it from so they can send you a new one.
I would try spraying carb cleaner into the inside area of the cap. Could be dirt or old ethanol gas plugging the vent up...ARH

Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #624

Update . Thanks for everyone's help ! I found that the throttle cable wasn't tight enough and I removed a cap at the bottom of the air box water came out . I dried it all up and put dielectricle grease on every connection and it's been running great all day ! Taped up that beeper box too !! So much better now . I will post back if the gas cap issue comes back i haven't opened it today lol

Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #625

Quote:
Update . Thanks for everyone's help ! I found that the throttle cable wasn't tight enough and I removed a cap at the bottom of the air box water came out . I dried it all up and put dielectricle grease on every connection and it's been running great all day ! Taped up that beeper box too !! So much better now . I will post back if the gas cap issue comes back i haven't opened it today lol
Great news!!! Keep in mind that air has to get into the gas tank to replace the gas being used by the engine, so if the trouble recurs, clean the gas cap...ARH

Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #626

Quote:
hmmmmm better check your oil and see if water made it into engine if it has a crankcase breather hose going to airbox.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #627

Off topic, but I thought I heard that the Hawks vin were going to be black listed from being plated. Not sure if any of you have heard that or not. I tried looking for the post but I can't find it.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #628

Why would they do that? They are dirtbikes really.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Noodles View Post
Off topic, but I thought I heard that the Hawks vin were going to be black listed from being plated. Not sure if any of you have heard that or not. I tried looking for the post but I can't find it.
I don't know if it is true or not, but let me present this scenario. A distributor orders a container full of Enforcers, for one reason, or another. One of his dealers, who has been receiving calls and orders for Hawks, but can only get Enforcers from his Dist., comes up with Hawks are going to be blacklisted before the end of January. Switches guys to the Enforcer, which he can get. Now, maybe this is a fairy tale, except that I've seen this movie before. My wife's uncle had been buying Buicks since 1929. I had just bought a Dodge, with a 318. He said to watch that Dodge real close because they had soft crank shafts, and needed bearings replaced every year. Now I had owned 3 Dodges, 1 Chrysler and a De Soto, all six cylinder flatheads and never had a crankshaft problem with any of them. "How so?" I asked him, and he told me the the Buick dealer had told him that Dodges (the car he was comparing the Buick to) had bearing trouble because of soft crankshafts, and that's just the way they were. Point is, a dealer will tell you anything to make a sale...ARH

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjew View Post
Why would they do that? They are dirtbikes really.
Don't entirely know the motive but I thought I saw someone say something along those lines in the forum. Maybe someone doesn't want a ton of dirt bikes on the rode? I dunno.

I can see where you come from Arh, people want your money and want it to seem like they have all the answers and can set you on the right path sorta thing.

I've been mulling over the banshan models vs hawk which to get and I had some questions. How long has the hawk been around for?, I'm new to this lol. And do all of these have the same suspension? Someone had posted how they feared a felled log ridden over with an enforcer would possibly hit the brakes.