Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #631

i remember the post you are referring to. some states have a "list" of approved motorcycles and the hawk wasnt on the "list". there was some banter back and forth and blacklist was mentioned yada yada yada. and folks thats how rumors get started.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Noodles View Post
Don't entirely know the motive but I thought I saw someone say something along those lines in the forum. Maybe someone doesn't want a ton of dirt bikes on the rode? I dunno.

I can see where you come from Arh, people want your money and want it to seem like they have all the answers and can set you on the right path sorta thing.

I've been mulling over the banshan models vs hawk which to get and I had some questions. How long has the hawk been around for?, I'm new to this lol. And do all of these have the same suspension? Someone had posted how they feared a felled log ridden over with an enforcer would possibly hit the brakes.
the rear brake master cylinder is right behind the peg and hangs down a little so it could get hit. also a rock or limb sticking out could rip your exhaust off too!
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #633

Quote:
Don't entirely know the motive but I thought I saw someone say something along those lines in the forum. Maybe someone doesn't want a ton of dirt bikes on the rode? I dunno.

I can see where you come from Arh, people want your money and want it to seem like they have all the answers and can set you on the right path sorta thing.

I've been mulling over the banshan models vs hawk which to get and I had some questions. How long has the hawk been around for?, I'm new to this lol. And do all of these have the same suspension? Someone had posted how they feared a felled log ridden over with an enforcer would possibly hit the brakes.
I don't know how long the Hawk has been around, but it is several years. The Enforcer is very similar to a Hawk, but made by a different manufacturer. We will get a better perspective on the Enforcer this coming summer. Is Bashan, who makes the Enforcer a better manufacturer than Haosan, who makes the Hawk? I do know that the frame on the Hawk is incredibly strong. The forks are very robust, the front brake is very good, the rear brake cylinder on both the Hawk and the Enforcer hangs down too much for total peace of mind. The lubricants that come in both of them are primarily rust preventive oil, and should be changed to a quality American brand right away. That goes for the front forks as well. WalMart ATF works really well in the Hawk's front forks. I'd change the brake fluid, fore and aft to a DOT 3 or 4 within the first week of ownership. I would not ride either one of them off road with those rubber foot peg pads on them. Too slippery. Which ever one you buy, be very careful and patient with the battery. It needs a little love to perform to your expectations. It is not just a dry battery, it is drier than Death Valley in August. Add battery acid the night you get the bike, and don't try charging it until the next day. It takes time for the battery acid to soak into the plates, and start the chemical reaction that produces electricity. The next day, you can hook up a 1 amp or less battery charger and top it off. That's all I can think of right now....ARH

Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
the rear brake master cylinder is right behind the peg and hangs down a little so it could get hit. also a rock or limb sticking out could rip your exhaust off too!
Are you saying that for the enforcer or the hawk or both? And there could be a government organization hellbent on eradicating the hawk but seriously I don't know that's why I asked I'm a newbie.

I have read all about the pre initial run setup you should do some others going further than others. Another quick question, would there be any way if applying some kind of rust preventative or something to the frame and key parts? I know there's undercoating which looks ugly ( I had my car under coated to protect from the salt ). Obviously I would have a limited run in the salty roads but I would rather protect first then having to fix rust issues. Plasti dip would work well for the gas tank and the other plastics from gravel or a small drop.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #635

The only overlords at the dock level from overseas import is the department of transportation requirements for the actual vehicle and the environmental protection agency requirements associated with internal comb engines. Get it past those and it falls to the 50 state roulette wheel of plate registration requirements. So to say that hawks will be banned? Take your pick as to who's banning what.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #636

Quote:
Off topic, but I thought I heard that the Hawks vin were going to be black listed from being plated. Not sure if any of you have heard that or not. I tried looking for the post but I can't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjew View Post
Why would they do that? They are dirtbikes really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Point is, a dealer will tell you anything to make a sale...ARH
All of the above! Think of it from a sales guy's perspective who had sold some Hawks to customers who could not plate their bike, when a state had plated another customer's before (this is when said dealer had a good reputation ). He has to eat the costs of shipping, in theory. Heck, one of our members is going through that right now with Powersportsmax who, via email, and phone, insisted the member could plate his Hawk in NEW JERSEY (of all states!!) and seemed like they processed the order and shipped the bike in record time.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
All of the above! Think of it from a sales guy's perspective who had sold some Hawks to customers who could not plate their bike, when a state had plated another customer's before (this is when said dealer had a good reputation ). He has to eat the costs of shipping, in theory. Heck, one of our members is going through that right now with Powersportsmax who, via email, and phone, insisted the member could plate his Hawk in NEW JERSEY (of all states!!) and seemed like they processed the order and shipped the bike in record time.
Mine was registered in N.J last year.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #638

I'm gonna need a carb for my hawk I'm wondering if I should change the jets in my stock carb I seen vids on how to open it up or buy the mikuni vm26 ..does it need jets changed or is it what I'm looking for as is without rejetting it . I live in Ohio and don't ride when it's below 60

Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer89 View Post
I'm gonna need a carb for my hawk I'm wondering if I should change the jets in my stock carb I seen vids on how to open it up or buy the mikuni vm26 ..does it need jets changed or is it what I'm looking for as is without rejetting it . I live in Ohio and don't ride when it's below 60
You can run the Mikuni with the jets it comes with, it will be better than what came with the bike. But it will run much better with a 115 main jet and a 20 or bigger pilot jet. The biggest advantage of a Mikuni is how easy it is to get jets that actually work. The carb that comes stock is hard to get pilot jets for...ARH

Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Exactly, the dmv is so finicky. Jarwolf was having issues seeing if Ohio would plate his hawk saying he had to have a windshield and some other nonsense which is completely false. It's basically person to person basis in that regard.

I don't know if I would cut my riding at 60 degrees or not. I like the fuel effiency aspect, maybe I'm just cheap..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #641

60 is perfect riding temps. At least for those of us who are all about ATGATT. Those layers are pretty warm... I usually stop riding in the mid 40's, because at that point the wind chill factor starts dipping into the sub zero point at highway speeds. That, and my bikes tires start to get a bit less grippy.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:10 AM   #642

So my son and I just got back from MOAB riding two new Hawks. First off, we were both impressed. MOAB rates the trails from 1 easiest to 5 difficult. We did 2 and 3 which were a handful with deep sand and steep hills with rocks.
The good, engines worked great we ran valvoleen 15-40 motorcycle oil,did air box mod, ran 180ml of Mercon ATF in forks came with 170,(some said to run 200 but we both thought to stiff dampening) ran NGK plugs and locktite on everything. Kept the stock gearing and worked good the 50 tooth sprocket on rear really helped on some of those hills. Also aired down a little on tires.

Only problems were the stock carbs, could not keep a constant idle which got a little annoying during slow rock crawling. Did bottom the rear shock a couple times. Had to adjust chains twice, one needed clutch adjustment at engine mounting which came loose. Spokes were fine after initial check. And one broken foot shift lever which was on the last ride of the trip. We were able to get him started in 2nd and nurse it home.
Was fun reaching the top of trails and seeing all the orange bikes saying hi then finding out we were on CM and watch them question us in disbelief. Anyway great trip would take Hawks back anytime.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo01 View Post
So my son and I just got back from MOAB riding two new Hawks. First off, we were both impressed. MOAB rates the trails from 1 easiest to 5 difficult. We did 2 and 3 which were a handful with deep sand and steep hills with rocks.
The good, engines worked great we ran valvoleen 15-40 motorcycle oil,did air box mod, ran 180ml of Mercon ATF in forks came with 170,(some said to run 200 but we both thought to stiff dampening) ran NGK plugs and locktite on everything. Kept the stock gearing and worked good the 50 tooth sprocket on rear really helped on some of those hills. Also aired down a little on tires.

Only problems were the stock carbs, could not keep a constant idle which got a little annoying during slow rock crawling. Did bottom the rear shock a couple times. Had to adjust chains twice, one needed clutch adjustment at engine mounting which came loose. Spokes were fine after initial check. And one broken foot shift lever which was on the last ride of the trip. We were able to get him started in 2nd and nurse it home.
Was fun reaching the top of trails and seeing all the orange bikes saying hi then finding out we were on CM and watch them question us in disbelief. Anyway great trip would take Hawks back anytime.
Glad you guys had a successful trip. Sounds like fun. Your chain problem will be solved by replacing the chain with a UniBear or equilevent chain. If you read back through this column, I have gone on and on about how important it is to have perfect carburation right from idle, on up. And how to get it. Shift lever fell off or broke?...ARH

Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #644

Basic easily installing upgrades for the Hawk 250

Hello everyone! It is official! I have just paid the $319.00 USD down payment to Affirm, and Affirm went a head and sent Killermotorsports the other $1,000 USD. So here at the end of May, or early June, it should be shipped to my house for assembly. Now, I am to poor to have it assembled and tested, which is a bummer. Though, if the glass is half full, I will have to assemble it myself meaning I would know how to dis assemble it and install new upgrades, or fix a tire, e.t.c. This also brings up upgrades for the Hawk 250. I have been looking for just cheap upgrades or protection. I have the front and rear sprocket bookmarked for purchase. I am now looking for better side view mirrors(pref round shaped), hand guard, and a wind screen. Also, anything else that would maximize the speed of this beast. I drive a highway that is 60 for the most part, but 70 in some. I don't want to be the grandpa in the right lane letting everyone fly by me. Also, handle bar LED lights that are cheap would be nice too!

Overall, I am really stoked on getting the first bike ever! Well...I've been on a bicycle, that's just about it haha. So, any links to any accessories and upgrades would be appreciated! I'd love to see all of your pictures and video's of you riding on and off road!

Last edited by Jarwolf; 05-03-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #645

just remember to ride like everyone out there is out to kill you! expect every car that is fixing to pull out will pull out right as you get there. you have to stay on offense when on a bike its much diff than a car.
2009 johnny pag bar hog