Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Question As the TT250 is on the way...

I've got the documentation and the manual, I've got a couple of questions about break-in and oil that I couldn't see clear answers for.
  1. Can I use the oil the bike ships with for the first 200 miles, or should I immediately change it?
  2. The manual suggests standard break-in stuff; gentle acceleration, vary rpm's etc. However I also have a separate letter with the docs that mentions a limit of 5k rpm. I know there's no tach - do I have to worry about this too much? I didn't on my previous new bike, I was just sensible and didn't thrash it, indeed Kawasaki's break in rules would have you being passed by a tortoise, however the engineer in me tends to err on the side of caution when something's in print.

I'm planning to ride the bike as much as I can, weather permitting. Probably about 30 miles a day.

What were people's break-in experiences?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I've got the documentation and the manual, I've got a couple of questions about break-in and oil that I couldn't see clear answers for.
  1. Can I use the oil the bike ships with for the first 200 miles, or should I immediately change it?
  2. The manual suggests standard break-in stuff; gentle acceleration, vary rpm's etc. However I also have a separate letter with the docs that mentions a limit of 5k rpm. I know there's no tach - do I have to worry about this too much? I didn't on my previous new bike, I was just sensible and didn't thrash it, indeed Kawasaki's break in rules would have you being passed by a tortoise, however the engineer in me tends to err on the side of caution when something's in print.

I'm planning to ride the bike as much as I can, weather permitting. Probably about 30 miles a day.

What were people's break-in experiences?
Vary the r's and take it easy for the first 500 miles. After the first 200 miles do some high rpm's for a few seconds. Do some hard stop's using the engine to slow the bike. This is a good write up:
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...our-motorcycle

Last edited by Merlin; 12-17-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
[LIST=1][*]Can I use the oil the bike ships with for the first 200 miles, or should I immediately change it?
I am quite positive that CSC changes out the vegetable oil that these bikes ship with from China. You won't have to change it immediately but 200 miles is probably stretching it. I believe that most people (who DO have to change out the shipping oil which is done immediately) probably go 50 to 100 miles with their first oil change. I don't want to use conjecture, so I will let those who have bought a new Chinabike in a box recently give you their recommendations, but I am most certain that CSC has saved you the VERY first oil change as they state you can literally open the crate and ride it from day one. After that, let's see what people recommend...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

The bikes shift horribly with the oil that they come with. Once you change to some quality (I used Motul) oil you will feel the shifting ease up and it will be easier to find neutral. I changed mine almost immediately.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Shifting on my TT was very smooth from the start on whatever oil they come with. Nothing I've read or heard from the CSC guys or saw at their place would indicate that they change the oil. Maybe the bikes come with better oil than the cheaper CBs.

My take on break-in, don't flog it and don't baby it. Start off somewhat gently but increase power and RPM use long before the 500-1000 miles many manufacturers call for. Dictating the break in period by miles is like determining brake lining life in miles, can't be done. I've seen good evidence from high end builders indicating that a harder break in is better than one that's too mild. The reality is that it's nearly impossible for the average person to know what the engine really wants. If one doesn't go extreme in either direction it'll probably work pretty well.

My friend babied a rebuilt CB550 and the rings never seated, burned oil for the 8+ years he had it; visible smoke level of burn. It's partly my fault because based on what I'd seen of his driving I thought he would abuse it so I stressed that he go easy on it. He took my recommendation of taking it easy to an extreme.

Break-in methods are about as clear as which oil is best.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Thanks all, very helpful. I am wary of babying the rings, but because it's a small engine I want to get it as right as I can.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Change the oil. 15W-40 diesel stuff is fine. Supposedly CSC changes the oil but both Mrs. 2LZ TT and my neighbors new TT had some pretty funky smelling and looking stuff in them. One quart is very cheap insurance.

Break-in. Like everyone says here, vary the R's, no sustained high R's. Just be cool to it, especially for the first 2-300 miles. You'll notice the motor will change its personality greatly in the first 500 miles. My neighbor has noticed it just in the first 200.

You'll need to reset the valves and change the oil again after break-in. Intake - .05MM and exhaust -.08MM, ice cold, overnight.

Enjoy the new TT250! Great bikes!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

X2 on 2LZ' comments. Not only is 15W40 cheap, but you'll also have an opportunity to examine the oil screen before you ride it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

My TT250 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Photos to follow.

Peter Y.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

That's great pyoungbl! I guess all they have is the fastest color white left for the year end sale?
My neighbor bought a TT250 after riding Mrs. 2LZ for the year end special. Now....it's hidden in my garage since his boy's in town for Christmas! LOL! He doesn't want his boy to tear it up........... Can't blame him!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
My TT250 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Photos to follow.

Peter Y.
Let us know if the shark fin is backwards and if any of the other issues that were had have been corrected now.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

I guess I need to read up a bit....I don't know what issues have been identified. Shark fin??? My little puppy fired right up (once I found the choke lever). I think the clutch is engaging too far out so I might play with that once I have a few miles on the bike. BTW, mine came with only 1 mile on the odo whereas my RX3 had about 20 miles. That tells me that the TT did not get a serious test ride before it was crated up.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I guess I need to read up a bit....I don't know what issues have been identified. Shark fin??? My little puppy fired right up (once I found the choke lever). I think the clutch is engaging too far out so I might play with that once I have a few miles on the bike. BTW, mine came with only 1 mile on the odo whereas my RX3 had about 20 miles. That tells me that the TT did not get a serious test ride before it was crated up.
Shark fin. The little plastic thing under the swing arm on the chain side that's pointing forward to collect stuff up into the chain instead of pointing backwards to push things away from the chain. My neighbors new one just came in backwards so he changed it around.

Yah...the choke takes a proctologist exam to find. Nice to hear it came in unscathed!

I'm sure this is obvious but my neighbors levers were moved inward to make room for the tie downs. He was wondering why his clutch felt weird. I then pointed out that he needed to move the lever mounts out toward the grips to make room so the lever could be pulled all the way in.

I'm going to set the whole thing up for him when we have time after the holidays.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #14

Off the box truck and onto the street. I peeled off some of the cardboard just to make sure everything was OK...and it was:

Once I found the choke lever the bike fired right up. The only hiccup was that my license plate would not line up with the holes in the TT plate bracket. No sweat, I just made a new bracket out of some aluminum scrap. Now the plate won't crack from vibration and I made sure there was blue locktite on all the threads. Overall, as I look at the fasteners I'm impressed. Tomorrow I'll do an oil change and generally get a feel for the bike. We have a two day warm snap so I should get a few miles on the bike before temps fall again.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #15

I like the white. Looks great!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Tags
break-in, oil, rpm, tt250