Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Exclamation GIO 150 Monster Gearbox

I recently came into posession of an older GIO 150 Monster. I believe this is what it is from some image searching. It has the lever shift on the right side, near the tank, that has a cable to the gear box on the axel. This block has a lever on the top that moves the bike into reverse, neutral, and forward based on position.

The bike, when running, feels like it is trying to move forward but unable to (like the brakes are on).

Are there any resources for reassembing these (or cleaning) these boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Sounds like the clutch

Old 09-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosajEwad View Post
I recently came into posession of an older GIO 150 Monster. I believe this is what it is from some image searching. It has the lever shift on the right side, near the tank, that has a cable to the gear box on the axel. This block has a lever on the top that moves the bike into reverse, neutral, and forward based on position.

The bike, when running, feels like it is trying to move forward but unable to (like the brakes are on).

Are there any resources for reassembing these (or cleaning) these boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Sounds like the clutch
Agree with Al.

What you're describing sounds like the clutch is beginning to engage and trying to move the vehicle forward (what it's supposed to do).

My 150cc gy6 atv does this on startup when the cold idle is too high... it somewhat lurches a bit forwards.. surges a bit.. once it warms up, or I get the carb adjusted properly, it no longer does it because engine rpms drop below what the clutch engagement spring is rated for.

How are your engine rpms when it is doing this?

Old 09-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

Welcome! I'm betting your name is Jason.

I have that very quad. The reverse mechanism in the axle is actually from the boating world; it is the same system that switches an outboard prop to reverse. I don't think the problem stems from the reverse box, but rather from the CVT. Search for GY6 CVT on YouTube and you'll have hours of resources that will not only show you how it works, but also how to add cheap performance upgrades.

Which Province are you in?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! I'm betting your name is Jason.

I have that very quad. The reverse mechanism in the axle is actually from the boating world; it is the same system that switches an outboard prop to reverse. I don't think the problem stems from the reverse box, but rather from the CVT. Search for GY6 CVT on YouTube and you'll have hours of resources that will not only show you how it works, but also how to add cheap performance upgrades.

Which Province are you in?
Indeed; if the GIO 150 is idling at normal speeds, then the issue could be a sticking clutch assembly. The clutch pads could be binding, rusted or stuck springs could do this, or there could be some contaminant on the inside friction surface of the clutch bell.

I don't have a tach on my "Dragon 150" atv, gy6 engine, but I'm guessing on my own atv the clutch engagement, stock, is about 1000rpm. On mine I'd like to move that up to 1500rpm, leave stock clutch pad springs in there... go to 10g rollers in the variator.

But now we're talking about cvt tuning for performance, not fixing a problem with early engagement, which is what the OP is having happen.

Tags
150, gearbox, gio, monster