Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #1

SG250 Shakedown Ride - 50 miles

This morning Youngest Son (that's his title) and I went for a shakedown ride. He is 17 and learning about street riding. He rode the SG250 and I rode my Indian Chief Vintage. I led. The intent was to test the upgraded front sprocket (16T), new chain and new mirrors. It was a brisk 45 degrees when we departed. All speeds discussed were indicated from Youngest Son's speedometer.

Our speeds varied from 25 mph (in town) to a stretch of road that was 65 mph (rural highway). The aftermarket mirrors had less vibration, but at 60 mph, the right side began flopping back. Not good. No way to tighten the ball socket. He did say the bike road smoother and he could gain some top end speed without stressing the bike. He said he got to 72 mph, but there was nothing left. He weights about 135 pounds.

We stopped for breakfast and discussed his riding technique and skills. He's applying both brakes. He likes that he can get up to 50 mph in 3rd gear. He is gaining confidence in the bike's ability to hold the road. He is leaning into the curves with confidence. After breakfast, we continued our ride and filled the SG250. The gas gauge was flashing which is a sign that we were getting low on fuel. We put in 2.977 gallons (it's a 4 gallon tank) and figured out that's almost 55 mpg for a new engine. We are still breaking it in. Total mileage is 163 miles.

We got home and swapped out to another brand of mirrors. They also seem less buzzy and more to come on that issue. We didn't road test them. The new chain and front sprocket do not need adjustment at this time. They did pretty well for a 50 mile ride. Overall, still impressed with this bike.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:32 AM   #2

sounds like a good day! best way for father-son bonding
"youngest son" lol

Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 AM   #3

Enjoyed your story!

Old 02-21-2023, 08:13 PM   #4

Thats so nice father and son riding together,enjoy every minute.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:45 AM   #5

I’d love to see a bike pic! How tall is your son? How’s the fit?