Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: How long did you wait before running your new motorcycle engine hard?
Didn't wait. "Rode it like I stole it" from day 1. 7 31.82%
<50 miles 1 4.55%
50-100 miles 4 18.18%
100-500 miles 8 36.36%
>500 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Different Engine Break-in Method

It sort of makes sense to me.
I have read a lot of discussion back and forth about this on a few different boards.
I have to say my break in style with the Lifan has been much closer to this guy's recommendations for the "On the Street" method than the "gentle" method that I always use on new cars.
I figured the bike was so cheap and replacement motors are cheap whereas a car is a substantial chunk of change.

So far no problems.

I would like to hear everybody elses thoughts after looking at his break-in ideas.

(Hey look! I managed to get my poll to match my message topic this time :roll: )

Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #2

Most of what he says makes sense. The main thing I've been doing (since I'm still in break-in period) is varying throttle lots with three or four fast higher gear pulls (usually fourth gear). It's actually been easy for us because throttle use during dirt riding is basically what you want to do (i.e. not as easy on the street). The toughest part has been getting my wife to crank that wrist! "Honest, AngelPie...it's good for the bike!"

As a side note, I bought a brand new Mazda a year ago and they said to drive it as normal (fairly spirited for my part) and the only thing to avoid was a long trip at a constant speed for the first 2000 kms or so. This kind of backs up what been said above.

Cheers,
R.

P.S. If I really called my wife, AngelPie, I'd be shot...

Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #3

It seems like a lot of the breaking in on these China bikes is 'slicking in the gears'. Every time I drop the oil, which is often, I find a lot of metal. I would guess that not too hard riding, coupled with frequent oil changes at first is a good idea.

Everyone I have talked to says "ride it and the gears will smooth out". That seems to be true but I think most important is to keep dropping that quart of oil. I keep thinking of all those metal chips.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #4

Funny, I have about 2600Km on mine and 4 oil changes later - no flakes or debris whatsoever. I just switched to synthetic on my last oil change.

Is this a common occurence? How many miles on your ride?

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #5

I agree with the hard break-in method. Changed fluids when I got my scoot. Changed engine oil at 30 miles and again at 100. Rode it hard just varied speed alot. Engine doing great no oil consumption and running better everyday. Will switch to synthetic oil around 1000 miles. 150 scooter not 200 motorcycle engine...(yet)!

Old 08-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #6

I set out to do the proper break in, plus had a slight throttle problem so was going to take it nice and easy.

Unfortunately my son got lost when we were separated (a quad bike stalled in front of me on a thin path). I panicked and raced about like a mad man(for about 40mins), gears changing all over the place, locked my brakes, stalled a few times and opened the bike up fully. When finally found him, slowed down the bike and my heart and tried to ride like the manual said….lol

So it’s going to be interesting what I’ll find when I do my oil change, and how the bike fairs up over the coming months.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Funny, I have about 2600Km on mine and 4 oil changes later - no flakes or debris whatsoever. I just switched to synthetic on my last oil change.

Is this a common occurence? How many miles on your ride?
My Jetmoto (163 FML-2 engine) was in the same condition. I have changed the oil twice (It has approx 560 km's/350 mi) and no debris found like most others. (Just rode over 100 mi today, so will change oil soon...keep you posted on oil change #3)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Changed my oil for the second time yesterday.
Much better than the first time.
The first time the filter screen had metal flakes and all sorts of fuzz.
(Looked kinda like belly button lint... )

This time there was NO flakes or lint or anything but used oil in the pan and screen.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #9

What kind of oil to use?

All this talk of oil change. Ive been out of the dirt bike loop for about 15 years. Just got my China bike this past spring. My gy200 manual came with an instruction manual that had no specification for oil type.. What kind of oil should I use? On my four stroke 197cc? I am probably due for a change now that I am over 200km's? Is this something I can pick up at Wal-Mart? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks....

Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #10

I use Rotella 15W40. About $9 a gallon at Walmart.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Rotella is a great choice. That's what every bike and atv from my shop leaves with. You can use just about any good grade, however, that you prefer in the 15-40 weight class.
I will add that I hope no one is using the oil that is shipped with the bike as a "break-in" oil as I have found some folks have done. Some have a different consistancy than that used in the US and as some may perform for short spans OK, many of the machines that I drain have a light oil, almost like a mineral oil in them to keep moisture at bay during shipping and storage. I just prefer to replace it with a quality lubricant right off the bat to eliminate that chance of a premature breakdown because of oil.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #12

oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEazy
I use Rotella 15W40. About $9 a gallon at Walmart.
RPM and IM EAZY,

Thanks for the feedback!!