Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 12:25 AM   #1

Question Lifan xpect vs kpm200

Hey guys I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a bike soon but I can't seem to make up my mind. I started off at the kp mini 150, then I realized I want an efi so I moved on to the x-pect, which at my dealer is the same price. But now I've been looking into the kpm200 for a bit more since it has a liquid cooled engine and the efi. My question is, should the kpm200 engine theoretically last alot longer than the air cooled xpect, mileage wise? I'll be making 75-100 mile daily commute for work, on mostly country roads, and the main reason I'm getting the bike is to save money on gas and overall costs. I'm wondering if spending the extra 700 or so dollars on the kpm200 up front would be justifiable to save money in the long run, if the engine is supposed to last a lot longer, or just to get the x pect since the engine lifespan would be similar even though it's air cooled. I weigh about 170 and would like to be able to cruise at 60-65. I'm not new to riding and have a 250cc rebel but I need to fix it up and want to buy something new plug and play and fix the rebel up once I get around to it.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 AM   #2

Such is my dilemma. Those are the 2 top bikes I'm torn between right now. If I were gonna commute, I'd go with the KPM200. A bit more HP..but even MORE important, slightly more torque. With water cooled and a 6-speed tranny, you can't go wrong. I want the X-pect as more of a "play" bike with the ability to commute once in a while. Change the front sprocket on which ever on you get so as not to strain the engine on the highway, ya dig?

olds_cool63
=======
Johnny Pag Pagsta (replaced 50cc engine with 110cc, modded-out)
2007 Tank Vision Topline Khaos (cosmetic mods, cherry-bombs)
2005 Kymco Vitality 50 2T (70cc big bore kit, other race mods...tops out at 67mph)
2008 Hyosung GT250 (cosmetic mods)
2001 Suzuki Bandit GFS1200S (cosmetic and slight mods...150mph+)

Old 06-14-2022, 01:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yah I'm leaning towards the kpm200, but now im thinking also more parts that can go wrong, radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, more maintenance etc... which makes me lean back to the xpect since its a simpler machine... doing more research on liquid vs air cooled engines, there's alot to learn...

Old 06-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

You will definitely have to change the front sprocket and get the wheels (at least front wheel) balanced to cruise at 60-65 on the xpect.

Stock, it does 55 mph at about 7300 RPMs.

Considering a new engine is apparently about $200 or something that I have read on this form many times for these bikes, I would say you’re not saving money by getting the liquid cooled. Even assuming you are correct saying a liquid cooled engine would last longer.

Personally, I don’t see any reason a liquid cooled engine would last any longer. They are just different techniques. Both engineered to keep the engine at the proper temperature.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #5

Something else to consider is overall operating costs. It's not just gas. You will probably be changing the oil every 1K miles at $15 per quart for motorcycle oil. Although you can go cheaper with Shell for example.

The main consumables on motorcycles are tires and chains/sprockets. Car tires for an economy car last ridiculously longer than motorcycle tires. 5K miles vs 60K miles for example. Plus $60+ every 5K for chain and sprockets. A 100-mile daily commute means new tires and chain parts every 50 work days, i.e. ten weeks! That might be about $240. $1200 per year, or $100/month. Versus $400 for tires on an economy car, every five years. Plus you have to deal with parts availability issues for these bikes.

Also you can drive a car in basically any weather short of tornadoes, and carry more people and stuff. Not so much with motorcycles.

IMO the main vehicle anyone should own should be a car. Except for short commutes, motorcycles should be looked at as purely recreational. The longer the commute, the less it makes sense. You would be putting 25K miles on a bike in one year, if you rode it to work every day. None of these bikes have that kind of longevity record, that I ever heard of. So a Chinabike might just last you a year at best, and you have to start all over again the next year. Cost of new bike (or major overhaul) + $1200 in consumables every year. Consumables for a car might be about $200 annually, including oil changes, all other fluids and 1/5 of tire purchases every five years.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Last edited by TominMO; 06-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Tags
kpm200, lifan, x-pect, xpect