Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

Minkuni Carb Help!

Hey guys. I'm installing a minkuni carb and I need some help. I am having some trouble keeping the atv idling at half choke. It idles when I close my choke but when I put it in the middle it does not iddle at all. What should I do? I tried playing with the idle screw but no luck. What should I do to make it idle at half throttle.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

Try adjusting the air / fuel screw. If necessary, you can gently turn the screw in all the way and then back it out 1.5 turns as a starting point. With the engine warmed up and idling with the choke off, adjust the screw until you can rapidly open the throttle with little or no bog.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Thanks, Weldandgrind. I'll try that.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #4

Not wanting to sound ignorant here.. but does it matter if it does not idle with choke open?

Sometimes mine won't run unless I open it, other times it seems to want it more to the closed end to run properly. I assumed this was due to air temp and air quality, engine temp etc.

When it runs with choke closed and you move the throttle does it bog out or rev like it should?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #5

When I run I close the choke it does not go fast and it bogs. It goes probably half the speed of half throttle. It literally does not idle at half throttle. If I brake and let go of the throttle, I will have to start it up again.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #6

Hmmm.... the atv also misfires but I do not really care abt that. Anyways, it's still not idling, should I change the jet to 4 or should I leave it at 3.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Hmmm.... the atv also misfires but I do not really care abt that. Anyways, it's still not idling, should I change the jet to 4 or should I leave it at 3.
What do you mean by change the jet to 4?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

I mean changing the jetting to 4.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote:
I mean changing the jetting to 4.
That still doesn't compute. Dumb it down for me.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #10

Re: Minkuni Carb Help!

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm installing a minkuni carb and I need some help. I am having some trouble keeping the atv idling at half choke. It idles when I close my choke but when I put it in the middle it does not iddle at all. What should I do? I tried playing with the idle screw but no luck. What should I do to make it idle at half throttle.
I'm cornfused, You want the bike to run good at half choke?
You run it with the choke on? And idle at half throttle confused me more?

Are You saying You want it to run with the choke off? If it won't run with out the choke on it is running lean open up the mixture screw. But I am not sure that's the right answer because I am not sure of the question.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #11

Sorry, for the confusion. The bike does not idle when the choke is on. It will idle when the choke is off but when it is on it does not idle.If I turn the mixture screw should I turn right or left for it to become more rich. Sorry, I'm just not good at expaning.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #12

Let's start with some philosophy. If it idles without the choke, what is the problem? Four stroke engines (and two strokes for that matter) have no need for the choke once warmed up. Your quad likely doesn't need the choke at this time of year. Once the weather begins to cool, your quad will require the choke, in which case you might find that it works properly.

On to the mixture screw: it only controls the air / fuel mixture while you're idling. As soon as you open the throttle, the jet that is below the throttle slider controls the mixture. Don't worry about which way leans out the mixture, but rather focus on how it runs.

Again, adjust the screw so that the engine doesn't bog when you open the throttle quickly. Does that make sense?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #13

You mean that it only idles with the choke ON, right?(i.e. choke plate closed).

This seems to be a problem that is common to virtually all of these carbs/Chinese ATVs.

Take the carb apart and cleasn it out (yes, even if it's brand new).

While apart, check the float action. Sounds like that is your main problem- float shutting the gas off too soon.

Recalibrate the carb before putting it back on.

Check tightness of carb to manifold bolts, and manifold to engine bolts (they are almost always loose, and cause the mixture to be lean, no matter what you do to the carb).

Youir problem is definitely one of these tghings...and more likely, a combination of two or more.

See this thread for more details:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8204

Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #14

Sorry, yea, it only idles with the choke on. All the screws are tight. I will try to clean it out. Also how do you "recalibrate" your carb. Sorry, for all my stupidity.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #15

Not stupidity at all, Just not well put in the original message....Simple gets results.