Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

I agree, I think the original design I used would work to a point and it is much stronger than it might look as the pieces all push against each other and resist movement. That is a nifty piece of work on your setup, and captures a raw minimalism of form and function for sure. I would myself though be tempted to turn it into a trapezoid, at least on the exhaust side, but my nature is kinda to "overbuild". Good work!

Last edited by China Rider 27; 07-28-2022 at 11:08 PM.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM   #2

Back Road Development testing Saddlebag Rack PE28

After all the development there comes a time when the Back Road makes its own evaluation of all your hard work preparations!

Last week myself and a few of the team members went out for a few days’ backroad riding. The location was the same as post # 26 and began with the same 7-mile climb to the 6000-foot ridge top. Just like last year with the PZ30B, this year with the PE28, at 5000 feet the carburetor started to hiccup. The rock garden the last 1/4 mile was still there but did not appear as intimidating as it was a year ago and the new fork valves and rear shock took it on no problem. At the top, the PE 28 was on life support. I dug out the tools and a small thin tipped hex head screwdriver bit and turned the air screw out one turn just as I planned in post # 34…….ah, sweet sound, the carburetor cleared right up with a smooth idle and for the rest of the 60 mile ride and the whole trip it performed smoothly from idle up to ¾ throttle at elevation from 2000 to 6000 feet. There was sometimes a hesitation around ¾ throttle when you twisted immediately to WOT. No matter, there was no place or need for that much throttle.

The saddlebag rack was severely tested as it was loaded down with 39 lbs total between the two side bags and a duffle bag on top of 17 lbs. The bike also had a 175 lb rider, 10 lbs riding gear, 5-10 lbs other gear. The first 30 miles were deep in, rough, backroad…… potholes, ditches, ruts, loose rocks of all size, and up and down, navigating slopes, steep approaches and descents. The suspension got a work out and the rack too. On the 45-degree sloped left sidewall of a two-track filled with deep ruts I was trying to avoid I lost my speed somehow (not my fault) and dropped the HAWK over on the right side. Lone drop of the trip.

Picture of body damage

Bent side rail (I need to fix that bolt hole for the shield)

Rubbing on rack

Camel Back (Backpack water carrier) laying on the seat

The HAWK, Princess she goes by, loaded down at the 45-mile mark heading back to camp.

Thoughts: Good day when equipment works! The saddlebag rack held up well and did the job but one drop is one drop and who knows next time. No sign the 90-degree main side supports have deformed. No peeps or squeaks while riding. More work needed to sort out the rubbing. The Team will call it a win! Ha, Hah.

I highly recommend a camel back (water pouch backpack). I had never used one before and thought 2 liter of water would be too much weight on the back but not so in a camel back (pack) and I drank most of the 2 liter over the 10 hour ride in 90 degree weather. Many models on Amazon. I also had two quarts in the saddle bags and water purification. Enough water is critical.

They should have called the HAWK the BEAST! That CG torque is some impressive! Pick your gear and dial up the mid-range from 4 to 5 thousand rpm and go! Great climber!

The bike is realizing the dream to become a capable Back Road Bike! CG strong, ride hard!

Last edited by China Rider 27; 07-28-2022 at 01:11 PM.