Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Classic Japanese racing bicycle recovery

I noticed a poor forlorn 1980s Mariushi RX7 Japanese racing bike stuff in the dusty corner of a friends hanger at the airport. It has been there for a very long time, I would guess since the 80s lol!

I never had this particular brand bicycle, but it is very similar to a Bridgestone racing bike that I loved very much when I was a kid in college and high school, and I rode that bicycle all over for years. I miss it very much.

My friend at the airport saw me looking at the poor thing covered in dirt spiderwebs etc. and he just offered it to me. How could I pass a deal like that. I should have taken some before pictures, but I spent about 8 hours fixing it up. Much of the work was cleaning and cosmetic, I also repacked all the bearings, and got everything adjusted and polished up. It rides beautifully! It is such a strong reminder of that Bridgestone bicycle that I love so much when I was younger. It brings back a lot of memories to ride this thing.

Mariushi became Jamais bicycles. They are still in business and continue to make good products.

You can't beat the ride of Tange chrome-moly tubing. When I was younger, 12 speeds was plenty, now not so much LOL. My old legs more accustomed to triple crankset and much closer gear spacing. Even so, it was fun.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Good score, Doc. It's in great shape.

Looks like a nice group of components, SunTour ARX. I've always been a fan of the SunTour stuff, especially the top mount shifter. Prefer it over Shimano. Looks to be a 23" frame, most likely made for Maruishi by Miyata. Miyata made frames for just about all the Japanese names in the eighties and nineties.

I'm guessing Dia-compe brakes with the seat pin, stem, and bars being SR. Crank looks to be a Sugino, probably 52-40. That gear you're in is making my knees hurt, though.

Enjoy it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

If I am not mistaken, I think I see several cats in this photograph.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If I am not mistaken, I think I see several cats in this photograph.

So that's why my eyes were watering.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #5

Good eye on the felines. I need all the help I can get with these more complex projects.

Thanks for the input Cheesy. You really know these old bikes. I was hoping you'd chime in.

You may have noticed the rear wheel is not correct. I have a new (used) correct Araya alloy with a quick release on the way. I also have a pair of correct brake hoods coming. It's fun to fix this stuff and fun to ride them.

With new tires, tubes (you should have seen the copious snot like looking stuff that came out of the old ones), brake hoods, handlebar tape, and other bits I'm out all of $100. That's Chinarider style right there! Admittedly I had some surplus stuff laying around I used like the seat.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

I wasn't sure about the rear wheel when I saw it and didn't pay attention to the front. Wheels are kind of like a consumable, they can get changed out for something better. Or something worse in a pinch. You can't go wrong with the Araya rims. My 1981 Miyata 710 came with 27 x1 1/4 Araya A20 rims on Sanshin hubs. I swapped those out for set 700c Super Champion Gentleman rims on SunTour hubs. The Arayas got laced to a pair of Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs in 1990 and mounted on my Miyata 600gt, where they've been ever since. Got me through Paris-Brest-Paris and many nasty weather rides.

I did notice that the bike originally had brake safety levers, or turkey wings, on it. Good thing that they are gone. If the new brake hoods don't have a knock out for that extension bolt, you can shorten the bolt with a hacksaw. Or visit a bike co-op (good place for a Chinarider) for the shorter bolt or a different lever, cheap. You can check out a local bike shop, but find one that's been in business forever and talk to the old guy. Sad to say, but a lot of bike shops aren't much better than a low buck auto parts store anymore. This place is handy sometimes, too. https://www.loosescrews.com/

As good 27" tires are getting harder to come by, you might consider swapping the wheels out with a pair of 700c wheels in the future. That said, I scored a pair of 27" Continental Gatorskins awhile back that are bullet proof. Being Contis, they weren't cheap, but I haven't had to replace them yet.

What saddle did you put on it?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Bike looks pretty much new ,great score .

Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Good eye on the felines. I need all the help I can get with these more complex projects...
I'm sure you receive excellent help from los gatos, but it's hard to beat the assistance Brother Allen gets from Buford.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I wasn't sure about the rear wheel when I saw it and didn't pay attention to the front. Wheels are kind of like a consumable, they can get changed out for something better. Or something worse in a pinch. You can't go wrong with the Araya rims. My 1981 Miyata 710 came with 27 x1 1/4 Araya A20 rims on Sanshin hubs. I swapped those out for set 700c Super Champion Gentleman rims on SunTour hubs. The Arayas got laced to a pair of Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs in 1990 and mounted on my Miyata 600gt, where they've been ever since. Got me through Paris-Brest-Paris and many nasty weather rides.

I did notice that the bike originally had brake safety levers, or turkey wings, on it. Good thing that they are gone. If the new brake hoods don't have a knock out for that extension bolt, you can shorten the bolt with a hacksaw. Or visit a bike co-op (good place for a Chinarider) for the shorter bolt or a different lever, cheap. You can check out a local bike shop, but find one that's been in business forever and talk to the old guy. Sad to say, but a lot of bike shops aren't much better than a low buck auto parts store anymore. This place is handy sometimes, too. https://www.loosescrews.com/

As good 27" tires are getting harder to come by, you might consider swapping the wheels out with a pair of 700c wheels in the future. That said, I scored a pair of 27" Continental Gatorskins awhile back that are bullet proof. Being Contis, they weren't cheap, but I haven't had to replace them yet.

What saddle did you put on it?
I took off the safety brake levers as soon as I got the bicycle home. It also had some assorted junk on it, like a broken generator headlight that I removed as well. I plan to take a Dremmel to those little extensions were the levers mounted when the breaker it's good here. Then everything will be covered and it will look nice and clean.

Amazing and you were able to ride in France. That must've been a wonderful adventure.

My "modern" Road bike is a carbon fiber Trek 2120. All tricked out with the best stuff on it. Very light strong efficient beautifully engineered bike. Because of that, I will probably not upgrade the new bike very much, although I did put the original saddle from the Trek on the new bike.

Sometime ago I upgraded the saddle on the Trek with some sort of Italian titanium rail thing.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm sure you receive excellent help from los gatos, but it's hard to beat the assistance Brother Allen gets from Buford.

That's a fact, I have to admit. Plus Buford is so strong he just uses muscle, Martin the cat typically needs to use the air tools hooked up to the compressor.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Here you go, Doc. The only digital pic I have of PBP. August 1991, in front of the Paris city hall. There is so much Miami Vice in this pic that it's just wrong.

Still have the bike, the shoes, and the jersey. Lost the glasses somewhere between Villanes au Juhels(sp) and St. Quentin. Saw 'em fall out of my pocket and was too tired to care.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #12

Great pic Cheesy! The 80s are tough to look back on from a fashion point of view lol

Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #13

Beautiful bike, Doc. I'm sure you'll enjoy be the caretaker for awhile.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
That's a fact, I have to admit. Plus Buford is so strong he just uses muscle, Martin the cat typically needs to use the air tools hooked up to the compressor.
Buford uses a harbor freight impact. Currently he is preparing to remodel his new camper.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #15

I bought an inexpensive magnetic roller trainer to use over the winter.

Back when I was a kid mag trainers were expensive and I always wanted one but could not afford it. Nowadays they are like $50 on eBay and the function and quality of this unit is remarkable.

Its nice to train exactly the same muscles with exactly the same ergonomics so that when (if?) summer comes back I'll be ready. Brutal workout!