Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

New Member from Oswego County, New York

Hi:
I live in Oswego county in upstate New York.
I raced mx about 35 years ago and I road observed trials for 3 years after that.
I have had some sort of off road bike, 3 wheeler or 4 wheeler since I was 13 years old.
I have been riding 4 wheeled atvs for the past 15 years.
I am looking to get a couple of off road dirt bikes for me and my son for trail riding.
I went into my local japans dealership and got a bad case of sticker shock.
WOW! are those dirt bikes expensive now?
So I went on-line looking for an alternative and that led me to find this web site.
I found a bike that I thought would work for my trail riding needs.
The apollo orion 250 liquid cooled dirt bike.
http://www.motobuys.com/apollo-arg36-250-db.html
But after trying to order one found out that at this time they are held at the U.S. port of entry waiting for EPA approval.
I was told that at this time no one had them in th USA.
Anyway, I will have to wait to see what happens in the near future or if there is another bike that will fit the bill.
Have a great day. Rapidrobert...

Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Welcome to here! I am fairly certain the Apollo is not liquid-cooled, but rather air-cooled. There are other dealers for those bikes if you are set on one, if you look and ask around. There are a couple active threads down below under the dirt bike section for them; they are decent bikes for the money, and are made for trail riding, not all out MX type stuff.

An alternative bike, if you are thinking of street legal dual sport, could be the Hawk; the Hawk is technically EPA certified as an 'off highway motorcycle' but comes with all the lighting to get them street registered, even in New York. I am throwing it out there because there is a huge following of Hawks here, and many members do trail ride them; plus they have a headlight and taillight if you end up on the trail a bit longer than you had planned. Just throwing it out there because the Hawks are sold for around the same price, if not lower, than the Apollo bikes.

Here are a few threads if you look through them to get a feel for the Apollo. I know the thread starter on a few of the threads sound gloom and doom, but if you read through them, they get them sorted out. These bikes are not extremely complicated.

http://chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the info on the apollo.
At this time I have not found a place were you can actually buy one.
I also looked at the x-moto xb37 honda clone?
Not rely sure what that bike is or a reputable place to get one.
Thanks Rapidrobert...

Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #4

I agree the Apollo is air cooled, and it's even available on Amazon... No joke. I looked heavily at the Apollo before I decided that a street legal bike made more sense for me because I'd be able to use it more. I also agree with the other post that the Hawk is worth a look if you're thinking about an Apollo.

The Xmoto is also a very cool bike if you want more serious off road action. I looked at that bike too. but thought it was too much money. For the money I saw those selling at, I'd buy a Japanese bike. There were a few places online I saw those listed. One of which I would avoid, but other people have purchased from.