Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #1

what to do?

i'm looking to sell my Riva 125 scooter and get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...spagenameZWDVW

anyone have any ifo on these? top speed, durability etc?

also i see something about a 300cc version coming out? any info on this?

thanks in advance for any info.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #2

I bought the same bike from the same vendor. Considering the price, I have been very pleased with it. I use it mostly for riding back roads and trails, with a little highway riding thrown in. I don't really beat on it, so I can't tell you exactly how durable it is. It runs and drives great. The only failure I have had is the speedometer went bad. In addition, the chain was cheap and had to be replaced, and the same goes for the tubes. The electrical system is weak, and the headlight is too dim for night driving, at least at higher speeds. Top speed on mine is somewhere between 65 and 70. You will be able to find a good deal of information on this site regarding this bike and others like it by using the search button. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Make sure you are mechanically inclined if you are mail-ordering a bike (there is no warranty available as T-Motorsports is an importer, not an authorized American Lifan dealer who offer 6 month warranties).

As far as 300's--they seem not to be available here in the US as of yet, with 250's having a limited presence (and the presence limited to completely non-streeted dirt bikes). It will take awhile for the bigger enduros to make any inroads--the 200's are plenty available and cheap right now, so there is no hurry to bring anything bigger in, yet.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyjoe
I bought the same bike from the same vendor. Considering the price, I have been very pleased with it. I use it mostly for riding back roads and trails, with a little highway riding thrown in. I don't really beat on it, so I can't tell you exactly how durable it is. It runs and drives great. The only failure I have had is the speedometer went bad. In addition, the chain was cheap and had to be replaced, and the same goes for the tubes. The electrical system is weak, and the headlight is too dim for night driving, at least at higher speeds. Top speed on mine is somewhere between 65 and 70. You will be able to find a good deal of information on this site regarding this bike and others like it by using the search button. Good luck!
thanks for the insite. the headlight....do you think it could be replaced with a better bulb or something? on my riva 180 i did a h4 silverstar conversion and it worked out great. when you say tubes what are you referring to? fork tubes? i plan to drive this bike as much as the weather will allow me. my sister also just moved down a dirt road and lives about 30 miles away so it would get driven out there once a week atleast.

Quote:
Make sure you are mechanically inclined if you are mail-ordering a bike (there is no warranty available as T-Motorsports is an importer, not an authorized American Lifan dealer who offer 6 month warranties).

As far as 300's--they seem not to be available here in the US as of yet, with 250's having a limited presence (and the presence limited to completely non-streeted dirt bikes). It will take awhile for the bigger enduros to make any inroads--the 200's are plenty available and cheap right now, so there is no hurry to bring anything bigger in, yet. Crying or Very sad

yes i machanically inclined. i've been a Chrysler tech for almost 6 years now. i also have had scooters ever since i could drive.

if the motor on one of these turned out to be a pile, is it possible to put like a dr250 motor into it?

also who is a lifan dealer that i can buy from so i have the warranty?

thanks again for the replies.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
To find a nearby dealer, send an email to:

Dealerlocation@americanlifan.com (include your city/state/and Zip code.)

Or you can call toll free: 877-341-2933

I am a dealer, located in MS and there is Bruce at E.J. Cycles, located in Ohio, on here, too. If you call the toll free number or use the email link, they will give you a contact number of a dealer in your area.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #6

i called them earlier today and they gave me a number to a dealer about 2 hours away. i called the dealer and they said that they didn't have anyone there to give me a price. they also said that they had none on the lot. looks like it's just ebay for me.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 AM   #7

The cheap tubes I was referring to are the inner tubes in the tires. They are very thin and not suitable for much off road riding. They may be okay for the street, but who wants to chance a blow-out at 55 mph? Not me, so I ordered a set of heavy-duty tubes. As for the light bulb, some have upgraded their bulbs to slightly brighter ones, and I hope I am wrong but from what I understand the electrical system on these bikes doesn't have enough output to power a significantly brighter bulb and/or you may risk damage to the electrical system if you upgrade to something that draws more current. Someone with more knowledge of the electrical systems of these bikes would be a more reliable source of information than me, however.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #8

cool, when i get mine i guess first parts i'll order are tubes and sprokets.

oh yeah about sprokets...... what would be a good front and rear to go with? i've read some about this on here but some aren't specific on what bike they have. i seen some people talking about 38t and 40t and one guy switching the chain to a 502 i think, and he had two set of front sprokets for on and off road use and had to grind some of the case away. i've been reading so much on here it's just all kinda one big peice of info now.

oh yeah if i upgrade bulbs i'll run it off a relay so only the battery will be taking the grunt.

thanks again for the replies and keep em's coming, i want to be off riding asap.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
The good thing is that if you do purchase the GY-5 Lifan model, you will get a 46T rear and a 17T front combination that will get you up to 70mph if you ever need to go that fast. It seems to have a good ratio to work with as far as low end and high end and does a good job.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #10

I have been very pleased with the 46/17 combo on mine. It is ideal for the mixed riding I do. Wouldn't change a thing!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #11

The great thing about the Lifan is that Tom from RPM and Bruce from EJCycles who contribute alot here are authorized American Lifan dealers. While that won't help you for a mail-order bike if something that should be covered under warranty breaks, but as far as after-market or replacement parts, they will have you covered!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #12

I'll echo, always deal with a dealer when you can. You MIGHT find a bike for a few hundred less on the net, but what about parts even if you do your own work? The warranty and dealer service and local parts availability are well worth any price difference IMHO.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #13

well i'm very glad to know that the bike comes with good gears.

if anyone can point me in a direction of a dealer that will do even close to $1300 shipped i'll buy from them. yeah i'd much rather have a warranty on parts. i'm gonna take excelent care of the engine and trans but just incase a enghine failure happens down the road in 6 months or a year i'd feel allot better knowing i'm covered.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #14

i called a lifan dealer today. the guy that answered told me that they wouldn't have any more lifan's till after the first of the year. he said that they are releasing a new model cause the old one had problems. i asked what type of problems and he told me tranny problems. pops out of gears, won't go into gears, etc, etc.

any of this true? he didn't seem to eager to sell me one and kept trying to pawn some other bike off on me.

btw the lifan is 1 down 4 up right?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #15

I think the bike is okay, although I remember something about the brakes, and the headlights having problems. The tranny should be 1 down, 4 up with all GY-5's. How far are you from RPM? He will put the bike together for you, and you could even ride it back home!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150