Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

mystery fuel leak

Hi guys, a little background. I'm at about 900 miles on the RX3 and loving it! I did the first oil change around 200 miles and then the valve adjustment at 500 miles. Cleaned and lubed the chain at 500 miles. About ready for another oil change.

Yesterday was the first time I have had the bike on a real highway with sustained speeds above 70 mph. I noticed a strong smell of fuel when I stopped and saw a few drips of fuel under the bike (confirmed by smelling). The fuel was pooling on the skid plate (upgraded version) and then dripping on the ground. There is no fuel drip when the bike is parked in my garage (that I can see) and I never noticed this issue when using the bike around town at speeds of 50 mph and under.

I was about 100 miles from home when I first noticed the issue and I pulled the gas tank in an auto parts store parking lot. I thought one of the connections to the tank came loose but the hoses seemed fine and the bottom of the tank was dry. I added some better hose clamps to the vent lines just to be safe.

So my question is where to begin troubleshooting? I think I will pull the gas tank again in the comfort of my own garage so I can inspect it more closely. Is it possible to have reconnected any of the fuel hoses incorrectly after my valve adjustment? I am unsure if this is due to something I did during maintenance or has always been there but only noticeable when traveling at high speed for long distances. Are there any common places for a fuel leak on these bikes?

Tags
cyclone, fluid, fuel, leak, rx3