Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Brake light issue, front works, rear don't

Noticed that my brake light does not come on with the rear brake lever but does with the front lever. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

I just looked at my RX3 and see that there is what appears to be a pressure switch at the brake master cylinder. The electrical connection is sealed with shrink wrap so I did not try to take it apart. Look at your master cylinder and see if everything is connected. If that's the case I'd suspect a faulty switch.

Peter Y.

Last edited by pyoungbl; 12-12-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

The rear brake switch harness looks pretty long, so maybe the connection is high up under the seat?
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/The-br...-p/z49-101.htm

Follow it up from the switch and make sure the connector is secure. If so, then disconnect and inspect that the metal connections are fully seated in their holes. If they are, then test the switch with a meter.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

I'd go to the garage to look at mine to give better advice, but it's late, cold and I'm in my pajamas. One on each foot.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! So here's what i found. The brake light does work but the amount of pressure i have to use on the rear brake lever to get the light to come on is way too much. I'd be locking up the back brake pressing that hard. Anyhoo, gonna go from there and see about adjusting

Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

It's a pressure operated switch, nothing to adjust.

The only thing I can think of is if there is an air bubble "under" the switch, it may need to compress before fluid squershes (technical term) the mover thingie that opens the gate so the pixies can dance to the brake light.

How long have you had the bike, and do you know if this is new, or just hadn't noticed before?

Not saying the switch itself isn't "other than normal" (defective), but they are simple devices and seldom fail.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Noticed that my brake light does not come on with the rear brake lever but does with the front lever. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks!
Have you found the problem yet?