Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
after you exceed 60mph then wind resistance climbs almost exponentially. I've hit 70 with a tail wind while tucking running a 17/43 sprocket combo on the TT250. it will cruise 63-65 sitting up with that combo.

is there not another route you can take that skips the 70mph zone? and is that a 70mph speed limit? or flow of traffic, because if its a speed limit you will still be getting run over.
Flow of traffic is not to bad, people are somewhat okay with 70 (bikes) and it's barley a mile, it's the other one I am worried about. I will measure it today on my way to college.

"All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art." -Roman Payne

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." -Mark Twain

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."
-(Letter to Étienne Noël Damilaville, May 16, 1767)

Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #17

Stock, I could get it to the low 50s. With a 17T front and a carburetor hack, I can hit the low 60s.

I don't consider it a highway bike for that and other reasons, like the knobbys and brakes. It's a great dual sport and secondary road bike, but sustained cruising on US highways seems rather adventurous to me. Here in TX, the top speed limit is 85, most rural highways are 70.

I'm very pleased with what it does and its limitations, but I didn't buy it for commuting or cruising. If I needed to do serious road time, I'd look at something else.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Stock, I could get it to the low 50s. With a 17T front and a carburetor hack, I can hit the low 60s.

I don't consider it a highway bike for that and other reasons, like the knobbys and brakes. It's a great dual sport and secondary road bike, but sustained cruising on US highways seems rather adventurous to me. Here in TX, the top speed limit is 85, most rural highways are 70.

I'm very pleased with what it does and its limitations, but I didn't buy it for commuting or cruising. If I needed to do serious road time, I'd look at something else.
Ware in Texas is the speed limit 85? (I am also in Texas, the highest limit I have seen is 75mph....)

"All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art." -Roman Payne

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." -Mark Twain

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."

Last edited by JohnDoe2887; 08-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2887 View Post
Ware in Texas is the speed limit 85? (I am also in Texas, the highest limit I have seen is 75mph....)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_130

Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
also, seems to me like it's 80mph out west of kerrville or junction on interstate 10.

yea, that 85's on a toll road, so you have to pay to play.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #21

70 is asking a lot from any of the China bikes. That would be top speed with the right conditions. Replacing the knobbies with street tires will help with a couple mph and a more stability at higher speed.

The best solution is to find a different route.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
70 is asking a lot from any of the China bikes. That would be top speed with the right conditions. Replacing the knobbies with street tires will help with a couple mph and a more stability at higher speed.

The best solution is to find a different route.
I must be asking a hell of a lot from my little Bashan 197cc then... I ride that China Bike on I-25 going 70 - 75 mph for an hour or 2 straight (7,000+ RPMs)... no real problems other than fuel economy dropping below 60 mpg at those speeds... and the days with 30+ mph winds I can only go about 63 mph without a wind break from a car/truck in front of me...

Granted... I only weigh 120lbs... and the Bashan has 17t front 39t rear sprockets... and the 197cc engine has 9:1 compression... but I really don't see why the HAWK with the 229cc engines can't do 70 mph for a measly 1 mile stretch... I've gone over 100 miles on I-25 going 70+ the whole time...

Maybe it's time to talk the Mrs. into buying me a HAWK/TT250... that way I can see first hand how much slower 32 extra cc's is

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Maybe it's time to talk the Mrs. into buying me a HAWK/TT250... that way I can see first hand how much slower 32 extra cc's is
Not much, as I understand. I can maintain a little north of 60 on my Lifan 200, and I weigh nearly two Azhules. I think the wind resistance is the issue at this displacement level. I presume we'd need to be well above 250cc to go much faster.

I have a 229 in the shop and I might install it for giggles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Wonder if the valves are the same size on the 200 and 230, if the cam cut is the same, if there are any differences other than a bigger bore? Both my Lifan 200 and Zongketa 200 will do a little north of 60 with the Zong being a couple MPH faster than the Lifan. I too am about 2 Azhules in weight.

Anyone running an aerodynamic windshield? I made one for my Vespa 200 many years ago and it made a big difference in top speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Not much, as I understand. I can maintain a little north of 60 on my Lifan 200, and I weigh nearly two Azhules. I think the wind resistance is the issue at this displacement level. I presume we'd need to be well above 250cc to go much faster.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Wonder if the valves are the same size on the 200 and 230, if the cam cut is the same, if there are any differences other than a bigger bore? Both my Lifan 200 and Zongketa 200 will do a little north of 60 with the Zong being a couple MPH faster than the Lifan. I too am about 2 Azhules in weight.

Anyone running an aerodynamic windshield? I made one for my Vespa 200 many years ago and it made a big difference in top speed.
Do you have any pictures of that by any chance? I am not 100% sure on how to make a motorcycle windshield aerodynamic with out laying down.... On mine one of the first things I plan on doing is replacing that horrible head design.... I know I can make something better....

Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

I had an AJS 250 that would just touch 80 mph, with me down on the tank.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #27

Almost any smooth angled surface is going to be more
aerodynamic than your chest....

Tires try a set of Kenda 761...
80% road / 20% firm/hard dirt..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Almost any smooth angled surface is going to be more
aerodynamic than your chest....

Tires try a set of Kenda 761...
80% road / 20% firm/hard dirt..

But what about the additional drag crated by the windshield? Thanks for the tire suggestion I am thinking though about getting straight street tires for now.... Then fun tires for my down time....=)

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2887 View Post
But what about the additional drag crated by the windshield? Thanks for the tire suggestion I am thinking though about getting straight street tires for now.... Then fun tires for my down time....=)
the drag is always there it is either coming from your body with a
unaerodynamic jacket or a smooth angled surface of a screen I
think the screen would win that race for less drag...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
the drag is always there it is either coming from your body with a
unaerodynamic jacket or a smooth angled surface of a screen I
think the screen would win that race for less drag...

Would there be twice the drag from the windshield and jacket?
Disregard that.... Could some plexiglass punched metal they sell at Home Depot,(it comes in rolls and is about 1/8in thick) and some pipe clamps be a good place to start?