Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2023, 12:13 AM   #1

First motorcycle

Hey all, I rode dirt bikes many years ago but looking to get my first road bike. I have watched and read a lot and I think I want to go with a Lifan engine bike. But I can't decide which one. I'm browsing Venom's site and looking at SS3 150, X-Pect, KPM 200, and the KPR 200. I know the first question is which style do I want. Well I've always kind of wanted a Ninja style, so that would point to the KPR, but cost is also a concern and the SS3 and Xpect are cheaper and still very cool looking. As far as use, I would just be riding around for fun, not commuting. Venom's X22R Max caught my eye, it looks very good, but doesn't look like it has a Lifan engine, no liquid cooling, higher price. Thoughts?

Old 06-14-2023, 05:17 AM   #2

I've had the KPR 200 for a year. 9,000+ miles on it so far. Only problem I had was the engine ran funny due to a corroded battery connection. Easy fix and it has run perfect since.
Maintenance is easy. Adjust the valves once in a while, change oil, new tires from time to time and that's it.
I'm 235 pounds and the bike will run an indicated 77mph flat out. It corners like on rails and is just too much fun on a twisty road.
I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences with this, or other, bikes to help you decide.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:56 AM   #3

Hello Robot and welcome, I think you’re on the right track with the Lifan product and I own 2 on your list, the KPR and SS3. Both are great bikes and lots of fun but if I had to only pick one bike it would be the KPR. The SS3 with a couple of upgrades is a pretty zippy machine and a good commuter and a lot of fun. The KPR has 50cc more on the engine and efi which gives it a better punch. Don’t get me wrong, these bikes have their limitations and will run out of steam especially at higher speeds with lots of wind or hills. The KPR is better out of the box with no real modifications needed other than maybe an exhaust after some point. And the KPR is worth the extra $800 in my opinion. You really can’t go wrong with either bike, if finances are tight and the SS3 seems better to you then that’s a great bike too. I’m having a blast on my SS3 and it has its own accolades as well. Whatever bike you choose I hope you enjoy it to the fullest and there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 06-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #4

You can't go wrong on any of the Lifan bikes. Lifan makes a high quality product. I can't comment on the newer X22R Max. These are fairly new and made by a different manufacture than the original X22R that I had. But just the little bit i have read on them the X22R Max looks to be better quality than the older models. Venom had that bike built for them so I'm sure they equipped it with everything the old X22R didn't have like 6 speed transmission, oil cooler and LED lights.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-15-2023, 12:58 PM   #5

Bike I chose over KPM200

I was looking at the KPM 200 and actually got the chance to sit on one and handle it, and it just felt too small. I'm 5'10" with giraffe legs and a compressed torso like a character creator gone wrong though. I am looking for highway commute capable and I simply fell in love with the CSC 450cc RX4. For the price you pay and what you get I couldn't pass it up. It was delivered yesterday and I'm so glad I didn't get the 200. 450cc seems perfect for commuting, and the seat is so plush. I LOVE IT. If 450 isn't your cup of tea they have a 250cc RX3 as well.

Whatever you get though I'm sure you will love it! My 2 cents!

Old 06-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot313 View Post
Hey all, I rode dirt bikes many years ago but looking to get my first road bike. I have watched and read a lot and I think I want to go with a Lifan engine bike. But I can't decide which one. I'm browsing Venom's site and looking at SS3 150, X-Pect, KPM 200, and the KPR 200. I know the first question is which style do I want. Well I've always kind of wanted a Ninja style, so that would point to the KPR, but cost is also a concern and the SS3 and Xpect are cheaper and still very cool looking. As far as use, I would just be riding around for fun, not commuting. Venom's X22R Max caught my eye, it looks very good, but doesn't look like it has a Lifan engine, no liquid cooling, higher price. Thoughts?
I am biased towards dual-sport bikes, so would probably lean towards the X-Pect 200. It has been overshadowed by its larger dual-sport brethren, the KPX250, but with people 'striving' for that bike, you should be able to cut a deal on the X-Pect.

For style, the KPM200 looks great, and you stated you are riding for fun, not commuting, but I have heard its seat being flat for its style is actually uncomfortable as compared to its sportsbike sibling, the KPR200 or its street-fighter style KP200 sibling. Even for 'fun' rides vs. commuting, you may end up on a long ride and wouldn't want to be overly uncomfortable when it is over. But, I really like the style of it as compared to the KPR/KP 200 bikes.

The SS3 looks like a great bang for the buck bike, and you would probably want to follow Herbie's thread down in the 'Pit Bike/Scooter' section which also has his videos. However, he also owns the KPR200, so has the unique ability to give you insight into both bikes.

But, out of personal preference, I would probably lean towards the dual-sport, and for the reliability and price, the X-Pect 200 hits that spot for me out of all the Lifan bikes available through American Lifan.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 06-15-2023 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Gave wrong location of Herbie's SS3 thread

Old 06-15-2023, 02:00 PM   #7

I had the X-pect and sold it. I discovered I didn't like that the seat keeps me practically on the tank. 5'11", 31" inseam. The problem for me is the stepped seat, which didn't allow me to slide back to where I want. They designed the X-pect for shorter riders and slower speeds. I never felt comfortable on it over 50 mph.

The KPX has a flat seat, so no problem there. A bit narrow and hard for me, so I took Jerryhawk's advice and got me a Maddog seat pad (Amazon). The KPX is more powerful, stable and versatile.

For cost and non-highway street use, I'd take a long look at the SS3. If you think you will be on dirt roads, easy trails or fire roads sometimes, then the X-pect, if you think the ergonomics won't be a problem. You could also re-do the X-pect seat to make it flat.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself