Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2023, 11:31 AM   #1

Vader from Kronik or Hellcat from Q9

Hey all,

I'm new to all this and just curious - thoughts on a Vader form Kronik or a Hellcat from Q9? Right now, they're both the same price.

Is one of a better quality than the other?

Kronik - seems to have good reviews, like the looks more.
Q9 - don't mind the looks, I'm in Wisconsin, so if I have issues they're close by?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Old 09-21-2023, 11:55 AM   #2

Personally i would go with the KP Mini 150. Much higher quality bike with More HP. + 2 year part warranty. really worth the extra money.

https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...e-street-legal

They also have An EFI version.

https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...jected-5-speed
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Personally i would go with the KP Mini 150. Much higher quality bike with More HP. + 2 year part warranty. really worth the extra money.

Damnit, now I'm even more conflicted. That's a nice looking scooter! It appears to be grom-sized as well, which is what I'm looking for. I have a big bike, this one is for screwing around and taking camping :-)

Old 09-21-2023, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madredr1 View Post
Damnit, now I'm even more conflicted. That's a nice looking scooter! It appears to be grom-sized as well, which is what I'm looking for. I have a big bike, this one is for screwing around and taking camping :-)
Lifan makes a top quality bike. Check out Herbies Garage on YouTube. He has a few video's on it, Herbie is a member on the forum and has a few threads on it as well.

Also Venom Motorsports is probably one of the best Dealers to buy from. They stand behind what they sell.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-21-2023, 10:25 PM   #5

I have a Vader and it's a ripper. I love it and I've done a lot to it. I would get the EFI KP mini if I were buying now.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post

Is the only difference the EFI and updated graphics on the plastics?

Old 09-24-2023, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madredr1 View Post
Is the only difference the EFI and updated graphics on the plastics?
I think the EFI version also has an updated speedometer too but not positive if the newer carb version might be updated too.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-25-2023, 09:35 AM   #8

I bought a Vader during pandemic in 2020 from Pete at Kronik- no complaints. Great pricing, easy transaction and it was to my door in Michigan in 3 days (I believe he had it drop shipped directly from the importer in Canada).

BUT... I'd only go that route now if you plan to do similar to what I did, which was upgrade/replace/change everything. It's a great platform for a custom build, Grom stuff fits almost exactly, if not precisely, and it has a very compatible wiring harness for any add ons or different engines.

Mine is now a ZS212 with 4v Daytona head, Kepspeed exhaust, big 'ol oil cooler, OE Grom parts where I can, such as axles, bolts and fasteners, PWK28 flatslide carb, Noi flat embroidered seat... too much to post.

BUT (again), if I planned on buying something reliable and Grom sized, that wasn't a Grom, I'd get the EFI KP Mini 150. Especially if the intent was to leave it mostly stock except for some farkles and aesthetic add-ons.

Not that there is a single thing wrong with a Gen 2 Vader... but stock for stock, the KP Mini is superior.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:34 PM   #9

Thanks to the KP Mini being street legal in California, Kronik also stocks those. Actually, Kronik had them on their site for quite a while, but could not sell them locally. The original question was about which to choose between a Vader and a Hellcat--Pete at Kronik had told me several years back why he chooses to only stock the Vader and not Taotao products. Since he is a California authorized dealer with a brick and mortar store, he could actually sell Hellcats since they are also California legal, but chooses not to.

But, yes, look into spending a bit more and strongly consider the KP Mini. Pete will tell you all about them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-16-2023, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thanks to the KP Mini being street legal in California, Kronik also stocks those. Actually, Kronik had them on their site for quite a while, but could not sell them locally. The original question was about which to choose between a Vader and a Hellcat--Pete at Kronik had told me several years back why he chooses to only stock the Vader and not Taotao products. Since he is a California authorized dealer with a brick and mortar store, he could actually sell Hellcats since they are also California legal, but chooses not to.

But, yes, look into spending a bit more and strongly consider the KP Mini. Pete will tell you all about them.
What was Pete's reasoning on no TaoTao's? Curious... My Vader gen 2 from him has been flawless, despite now no longer being anything close to original..lol.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:28 PM   #11

I understand to adjust the valves on the KP Mini, it's much more work than it should be. The problem is getting the valve cover off.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
What was Pete's reasoning on no TaoTao's? Curious... My Vader gen 2 from him has been flawless, despite now no longer being anything close to original..lol.
I spoke with him about this in 2018. I don't recall all the details, but he was not impressed with Taotao's overall quality. He also liked the fact that Boom/Baodiao here in the US would listen to him on improving the Vaders, which I am guessing Taotao would not. Plus, Boom carried parts. I recall the stock Vaders being somewhat hit or miss in 2015 or '16 here on Chinariders, but seemed to get better and better over time. Pete takes credit for that, and him being so literally close to Boom's headquarters and traveling there a few times a week makes me tend to believe he really did have something to do with the Vaders getting better.

Edit: I should add that there are not many Chinese bikes, or at least weren't, that were California legal, so not carrying the Tao was surprising to me since the mini category has been 'hot' for quite a while, but he really did not care for them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard