Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Having gone through tuning the stock carb, Mikuni, and this PZ30B, the Mikuni is by far much easier to get running properly. but it is far more expensive, and if you can get your hands on these jets in a few sizes it will definitely go a long way to making the stock carb a much more viable option, because that will eliminate the one real drawback to it, no pilot jet options.
That’s what I’m thinking
Drilling the pilot is also ok if you don’t screw it up.
I think 90% or more cheap Chinese bike owners wouldn’t ever see or make a big difference with changing to a Mikuni carb - they only want a smooth running bike, and a handful might like to learn n tune their carb better and a few might move on to an upgraded carb with some improvements and all the while spending not so much in the progress from stock to the end results.
That’s my thoughts etc and I think it’s a good way to help/serve/earn from it.

Haters will hate others will find the idea good and others wouldn’t bother with Chinese bikes - all sorts of ideas out there

Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Having gone through tuning the stock carb, Mikuni, and this PZ30B, the Mikuni is by far much easier to get running properly. but it is far more expensive, and if you can get your hands on these jets in a few sizes it will definitely go a long way to making the stock carb a much more viable option, because that will eliminate the one real drawback to it, no pilot jet options.
Do you know the username of the chap in TX “project next”?
I’d like to ask him what the stock pilot jet was in his carb
In my kit I add in that style #40 as well as keihin #40 etc
Reason being the set should then cover the 3 known?! pilot jets at a slightly increased size from stock
I thought each #40 but if hawk type is #40 I’d need to at least add in #42
Common keihin #40 and that short style like in the storm #40
Cheers in advance

Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Do you know the username of the chap in TX “project next”?
I’d like to ask him what the stock pilot jet was in his carb
In my kit I add in that style #40 as well as keihin #40 etc
Reason being the set should then cover the 3 known?! pilot jets at a slightly increased size from stock
I thought each #40 but if hawk type is #40 I’d need to at least add in #42
Common keihin #40 and that short style like in the storm #40
Cheers in advance
Cravin01
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

I would love this as I still have the stock carb with the mikuni jet you can change but not the pilot. It runs fine once warm but I have to turn the idle up to get it to start from time to time. Would the pilot jet help this?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I would love this as I still have the stock carb with the mikuni jet you can change but not the pilot. It runs fine once warm but I have to turn the idle up to get it to start from time to time. Would the pilot jet help this?
Jumping from 25 to 27 at the pilot made a huge difference in my starts and idle.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Jumping from 25 to 27 at the pilot made a huge difference in my starts and idle.
I hope so. Waiting patiently to see if this is the one.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I hope so. Waiting patiently to see if this is the one.
Me too! at 117.5/27 with 1.5 turns on the mix the bike still backfires some if you release the throttle over 4,000 rpm, not near as bad as the 115/25 or 117.5/25 and it seems to start quicker. With the 17/43 or 41 gearing it still won't roll much over 60-62 mph though. In a month or so I'm thinking I will order the 44 or 45 cog and just live with the old 64-65 max. Not enough HP like the Hawks to ever get that 70 max.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #8

Drilling out the pilot jet is easy. # drill sets with pin vise are available on eBay for 4$. For my Hawk a 45 pilot made a huge difference in idle and off idle performance .016- .017 will get you very close to a 45 pilot jet. The number set I bought were actually metric and one bit was 45

Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #9

The pumper carb route is honestly my new favorite, but a well tuned VM26 clone is pretty darn good.

I don't think there is much skill involved in setting up the pumper either. It's literally adjusting one throttle cable and an adjuster screw to get the timing of the spray pattern correct. I am actually considering making a video for my Youtube channel just on the pumper and how to set it up. I am just waiting on new batteries for my Go Pro since I let my last ones go flat (oops). Once I have that video made I will be making a thread with all of my previous "adjustment" information from my bikes thread and making it a one stop shop that I can link in my Information page.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #10

Don’t get me wrong
Your bike your money etc
Just looking to offer a good thing for most people and make a buck - not hiding the facts etc.

My system should relate to almost all bikes or ATV with a 200-250cc air cooled engine with the piston going up and down so vertical, not only a few know model names as you need or should focus on engine type n carb type etc.most consumers will find this will relate to them. Ignore the brands and focus on parts used in china bikes as that opens up more options or repair ability

But it sure would help all if the systems shown are more valuable or viable so good choices can be made regardless if:
Tune stock carb with a few simple bits like washers bolts jet etc
My first tune kit and extra optional pilot jets
Minkuni clone & genuine jets
Add on to my kit the PZ30B pumper and more pilot and in between main jets from first tune kit.
Then you have other carb options and this list can go on and on.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #11

I’ve sold 90 or so “first tune kits”
I call that some success

If I can improve the set and system as well as have near every China bike and ATV owner see it this number could become endless maybe

Or where to show the system once I’ve got it locked in?
I’m not American I’m not that familiar with that market be a long shot.

But the principal I’m sure is great for most.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
I’ve sold 90 or so “first tune kits”
I call that some success

If I can improve the set and system as well as have near every China bike and ATV owner see it this number could become endless maybe

Or where to show the system once I’ve got it locked in?
I’m not American I’m not that familiar with that market be a long shot.

But the principal I’m sure is great for most.
I will say this, since I got into this scene about 2 years ago the number of owners/riders/etc has increased quite a bit. Even back then there was maybe 2 or 3 guys on youtube doing any sort of videos related to these bikes, and only one that was doing it consistently (Motocheez). Now you have 20 or 30 guys posting vids on the regular.

I think as time has gone on, information has been collected and preserved in place, and there are more examples out there of these bikes being reliable and viable options the number of owners will steadily increase. I know I wouldn't have even considered the Hawk until I watched a few Motocheez videos and then ran into this forum and did some reading.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I will say this, since I got into this scene about 2 years ago the number of owners/riders/etc has increased quite a bit. Even back then there was maybe 2 or 3 guys on youtube doing any sort of videos related to these bikes, and only one that was doing it consistently (Motocheez). Now you have 20 or 30 guys posting vids on the regular.

I think as time has gone on, information has been collected and preserved in place, and there are more examples out there of these bikes being reliable and viable options the number of owners will steadily increase. I know I wouldn't have even considered the Hawk until I watched a few Motocheez videos and then ran into this forum and did some reading.
You're absolutely correct.. Motocheese paved a road on YouTube for a lot of cb enthusiasts. I know he's pretty hot on the TaoTao right now but I'm willing to bet if he gets his hands on the new fuel injected Hawk it'll make for some great vids.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #14

Dang! I just bought a kit from you off ebay, do you have a link of where I can find the pilot jets for the Hawk stock carb NzBrakelathes?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawl View Post
Dang! I just bought a kit from you off ebay, do you have a link of where I can find the pilot jets for the Hawk stock carb NzBrakelathes?
Send a message on Ebay - I will solve it just for you