Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #1

Lifan Kp Mini 1000 mile review

I posted here months ago with a few pictures of my Kp.. I'm in Minnesota so I haven't been able to really ride until recently. I know there's very little information on these bikes so I'll say what I can and I will be making a video within the next few days. I purchased this bike with the intent to explore, hooligan around practice wheelies. I deleted my fender myself and put a cage on the bike.. everything else is stock. I babied the break in up untill around 300 miles where I slightly started getting on it a bit more untill the 600 mile break in.. the last 450 miles I have been ripping with absolutely no issues. I've destroyed stock groms in 45 degree weather(should easier in warm due to carb vs FI) climbed steep hills and had a blast on the bike so far but I have a few gripes and I'll list them here. Starting with the minor things the speedometer seems to be off as someone has mentioned before.. my only way to dictate this is when traveling through speed traps.. my speed is always around 5 miles under the supposed speed I'm going.. I'm going to use gps speed to confirm this soon. The dash is also very hard to see during the day and the rpm gauge updates very slow and only ever 500rpms so it's very hard to dictate where your rpm range is.. this is important to me when doing wheelies and setting idle. It is a carb so you will have to adjust idle after you start.. not a big deal for me but for some this can be an issue. Over all I think the bike looks great, build quality seems good but a few things about the build really bother me. You cannot delete the fender unless you completely customize it yourself.. this is a bad choice on Lifans part because who in the U.S. actually uses the ugly stock fenders that come with bikes? Literally no one and they put the key to the seat in the fender and make the fender almost necessary part of the bike so I had to cut everything away but keep the part that attaches under the tail light. Turn signals feel solid like from an expensive bike.. much better than my cf moto 650nk controls.. The integrated lights look great and are easily seen... the bike just looks good and even knowing I bought it to practice light stunts I'm scared to drop it because it looks so good..regardless I've dropped it twice now at low speeds with a crash cage I got from china. first time was in grass and virtually no damage but 2nd time maybe 10 mph drop laid it down fairly slow no real crash and the foot peg bent almost 40 degrees...The foot pegs are just solid steel attached to the bottom of the block with rubber pads on the end. They're almost inch thick steel and you can easily manipulate them with a hammer.. I was able to knock mine quite easily back into original position. This is a huge bummer as I'm not confident with this bikes ability to take a light spill.. people thrash groms all day in lots and pick right back up and back at it. 2ndly the pegs being solid and they are quite low. Taking corners fast will result in peg drag and if not careful you will take a digger. I have to lean hard into corners with bike more upright.. I cant even utilize all of tire because peg position. No aftermarket options so far besides some crash cage options and bagger stuff you can find on chinese stores.. cheap but the shipping will make it over double what you're paying for it if it's remotely heavy. The stock can is welded on to the header so unless you can do some metal work you're stuck with waiting for them to release the akrapovic pipe which probably wont even be worth purchasing because it will probably be 1/4 the price of the bike because it will have to come with its own header as well. Also the bike bogs out easily when doing wheeles.. loses power as if its getting fuel starved. This only happens sometimes when rapidly bringing wheel up. Not sure if this happens with other carb minis but it's happened to me a few times. Also the fuel gage on mine was not reading correctly, half way the meter says its empty..I purchased my KP from Kurt over at Woods n Addict cycles in Wisconsin and he's been great and very helpful, very awsome guy. Lifan sent the new fuel sensor very fast so that was nice.. I think it took a week if that. Also I have somewhat violent shake at 45mph and up. It will drive very smooth for 2 seconds and then a short shake..drive smooth 2 seconds and then short shake..very constant and not sure what that is. Besides everything so far the bike has been a lot of fun, I think if someones just going to put around town, hang with grom squads and not hardcore stunt it you would be golden. In my opinion I would have rather spend an extra 500 and waited for a used grom but that's because what I want to do with the bike. I might just keep her and use her as an in town cruiser and grom meet putter or for my girlfriend to follow me around on. Not sure what I can even resell for even at 1000 miles. Hmu with any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kpmini.jpg (97.1 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg kp mini 2.jpg (86.6 KB, 475 views)

Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

I had to do some soul searching to pick either the Lifan or the Benelli. Did you see a Benelli in Kurt's Showroom? Any opinion? I guess mine is about two-three weeks away and I'm getting antsy.

I parted with the extra money on the hopes that the build quality was a little better, and that the fuel injection keeps the bike running strong without adjustments/jets etc. The bigger downside to the Benelli is zero after market support right now.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman55 View Post
I had to do some soul searching to pick either the Lifan or the Benelli. Did you see a Benelli in Kurt's Showroom? Any opinion? I guess mine is about two-three weeks away and I'm getting antsy.

I parted with the extra money on the hopes that the build quality was a little better, and that the fuel injection keeps the bike running strong without adjustments/jets etc. The bigger downside to the Benelli is zero after market support right now.
Those Bennellis look really nice.. If you're just going to scoot around you're fine.. Honestly it might be worth it especially if you're in elevation. I didn't even know about the Bellini till recently. I may have gotten one if I knew about it but I'm more than happy with the Lifan minus the few things listed that may change. I just have to accept that I can only ever do basic wheelies on it and nothing else. I'll probably sell my crash bars and buy the performance kit they're coming out with and just rip on groms all day lol.