Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #31

Sweet ride! 8) I love the KLX's and hope to someday add one to my stable as well, your going to love that bike! The plastic can be rejuvenated, I think there are polishes for it (as Weld was saying, FastDoc did the tank on his XR but I can't remember the product he used). Enjoy the ride

Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #32

WONDERFUL BIKE!!!!!

You're gonna fall in love with this one :P .

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ation-Kit.aspx

This is what you want to brighten up the plastic. Depending on how much work you want to put into it this will take the palstic to near perfect.

You may also look into replacement plastic, it's not that much. Finally there are desert tanks for your model. Someone may have bought one and is selling a new stocker cheap. Who knows? :wink:

Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTimmy
Thanks Doc, MICrider, Spud, and everyone! I am very excited to have this motorcycle! I really appreciate you guys giving me your opinions and experiences about the KLX!...

The bike is like new. Some dust on the engine and places, just needs a good bath. It was stored in a garage, but was in the sun a lot during the day because he rode it to work, so the green is faded a bit from the sun. The white shined to perfection. This photo is from before I cleaned anything.Anyone have good experience with bringing sun faded plastics back to pre-sun glory? The bike looks great, I just want to shine the green plastics. I have always liked the Kawasaki green. I have already found a few good pages and forums devoted to this bike. I can't wait to get it titled and registered!
Congratulations! You got a great deal on a great bike, Tim!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #34

Thanks everyone! Man, I already love it and I haven't even got to know it that well yet

Doc-thanks...that plastic restore kit sounds like what I will get. I would like to get rid of the big honking front fender though and put a supermoto fender on there.

I actually was able to get the bike for $1800, not $1850, and the KBB has it at $2,810!

Doc- If you have any pointers or suggestions on the bike let me know. The guy is going to go through his garage and find the manual for me, but I understand there is a lot of suspension adjustment options for rider weight and ride and such...

Anyway, I am a happy camper!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #35

a) I'd replace the fender with a Polysport, Acerbis, or Maier. Only about $25 or so and it will save you a lot of work. Also consider a Kawasaki fender for an '09 or later. That's the year bike I have and the plastics are much 'cooler' than the prior model and the fender is pretty cheap from Bike Bandit.

b) This may really surprise you. If you're going to be riding it a lot, especially on the street I'd leave it STOCK.

Mine is modded with an airbox mod and K&N filter, a very high performance muffler and a full jet kit. Whereas it make a lot of power, it is loud. I always wear earplugs and even so it is loud. Don't get me wrong it sounds great, just a lot of sound.

Spend your money on gas and maintenence.

As far as suspension goes I never touched mine so it is as set by the factory. Mine has really good fully adjustable suspension and it works fine right out of the box for me.

I say ride it!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
a) I'd replace the fender with a Polysport, Acerbis, or Maier. Only about $25 or so and it will save you a lot of work. Also consider a Kawasaki fender for an '09 or later. That's the year bike I have and the plastics are much 'cooler' than the prior model and the fender is pretty cheap from Bike Bandit.

b) This may really surprise you. If you're going to be riding it a lot, especially on the street I'd leave it STOCK.

Mine is modded with an airbox mod and K&N filter, a very high performance muffler and a full jet kit. Whereas it make a lot of power, it is loud. I always wear earplugs and even so it is loud. Don't get me wrong it sounds great, just a lot of sound.

Spend your money on gas and maintenence.

As far as suspension goes I never touched mine so it is as set by the factory. Mine has really good fully adjustable suspension and it works fine right out of the box for me.

I say ride it!
Yeah, I like the Acerbis supermoto fenders, I installed one on my old Lifan. I do like the stock fenders more from your year bike.

I am going to leave the performance mods alone for now and ride the bike and get used to a new bike. Plus, it is pretty mean stock as it is! Plenty of power in my book.

The reason I asked about the suspension is because it seems like the rear shock is adjusted, or the adjusters threaded down or preloaded....may-be to his weight-and I weigh more than him.

I just really want to get to know this bike. I don't have such great riding as you guys do out west. Well, if I drove or took it on a trailer it to the NC mountains, there is some great riding there. Here,on the coast it is pretty darn flat!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
WONDERFUL BIKE!!!!!

You're gonna fall in love with this one :P .

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ation-Kit.aspx

This is what you want to brighten up the plastic. Depending on how much work you want to put into it this will take the palstic to near perfect.

You may also look into replacement plastic, it's not that much. Finally there are desert tanks for your model. Someone may have bought one and is selling a new stocker cheap. Who knows? :wink:
Well, I replaced the front fender with a Polisport Free Flow fender. It's a nice fender that requires no drilling. I also found a way to brighten up the plastics for about two dollars. I came across a youtube video and thought I would try it. It works great...So, just take a razor blade and hold it vertically with a slight angle towards you, and scrape the old faded layer off! It is easy and really works. I'll post a photo when I am finished.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #38

Can you point to the Youtube link as well?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer