Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

"Harley" Sprints.....

Weldangrind suggested I also start a discussion about the "Harley" Sprints..... My screen/nickname is a reference to the 1966 250 Sprint I wanted so desperately to have when I was 16..... I finally got my first one when I turned 46.....LOL.....

These little 250cc, horizontal, pushrod engined bikes were Harley's response to the onslaught of inexpensive Japanese bikes that were appearing on American roadways from about 1960 on, and were actually re-badged Aer macchi (Aeronautica Macchi) products, an Italian company in which Harley owned 1/2 interest...(Lockheed-Martin owned the other 1/2)...

Within a year, I had 17 of them in various stages of dis-repair, (including a couple of the later 350cc versions), and probably enough good parts to actually build about 6 or 7 nice examples...

My first build was the '66 "C" model I had lusted after so long ago...... At the time, I didn't have the funding for a "proper" restoration, so it was built with a hodge-podge mixture of Honda parts thrown in.....A CB 360 front end and wheels were used, and it was converted from a 6V generator system to a 12V AC system using a Harley z-90 magneto and Honda rectifier and regulator......I rode it to work for a year, and even managed to win the "Vintage Antique" class in a local bike show with it......

Then, my wife expressed a desire to ride it, so I gave it to her and started to build one of the 350 engines for the next one (for me).....However, between the "kick on the left" starter and the left-side brake pedal/right side shifter, it proved difficult for her, (who learned on an international shift pattern Honda), to become acustomed to the change.....So I designed and fabricated a bolt-on sub-frame that allowed the conventional pedal placement and pattern.

Pix and discription in the next installment........

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

+1 on the popcorn!

Funny how a company owned by HD AND Lockheed Martin could still fail...

I like those bikes too. I see them come up on CL every now and then for not too much money.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3437842243.html

Semi basket case but not bad...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

If I could get that price down a bit, I'd probably jump on it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

See what I have to put up with in the Vancouver, BC area? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...420564933.html

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Hard to compare the two without seeing them both but it looks like a big price differential to me! 8O

The one I found may be a great deal... Depends on how available parts are...

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

Just scoped eBay. Parts are out there but not really cheap.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #9

While I'm getting the pix together, I thought I'd mention that a 1974 250cc engine would be a two-stroke...(And technically an Aermacchi/Harley but NOT a Sprint).....
The '74 Sprints had a 350cc 4-stroke/pushrod engine but a much changed and heavier frame.....

Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Which years would be more desirable? I'm only interested in a four stroke version.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #11

That would depend on which engine "look" you want.... The "baby knucklehead"

Or the "ashtray" head top....(the rounded-fully-finned one on that $600 bike)

Both designs came in 250 and 350 cc versions (different years), and the "Baby Knuck" 350 top can be used with the 69 through 73 ashtray 350 bottom end....(69 had the strongest engine cases, and the 74 Knuck top is virtually a bolt on in the 350 ccc engine)....They won't easily swap on the 250's because of differing stroke lengths.....74 and later 350's have an electric start as well......Lots of options depending on years....

Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #12

...Back to the adapter.....

Below is a better pic of the right side of the "baby knuck" engine showing the shifter, and brake linkages/pedals as stock.....

You will note that there already IS a crossover shaft for the brake pedal as the actual brake-plate/shoes are on the right side......
I simply adapted that to be the shifter crossover and relocated the brake pedal and a linkage rod back to the right side as well.....
Because my wife preferred her footpeg positioning a good bit forward of the stock position (10"), I moved that at the same time....
But there is no reason that peg/pedal positioning could not be made anywhere along that length to suit other's preferences....

The sub-frame mounts to the original foot-peg/ engine crossbolt, and to two of the lower front case-half bolts...There is also an additional "hook" on the left side that seats against/under a spring locating pin and helps prevent pivoting of the assembly... The "triangular" plates that position the pedal pivots abut a new crosstube that is appropriately notched to take the original footpegs and adjustment "stars" so there is still some latitude in comfort positioning....
There are also smaller brackets on the inside of the pedal pivot bolts that provide additional support/stabilization for the assembly (not shown yet)....These "notch" carefully (one on each side) into/onto one of the outer case bolts....
Thereby each pedal is supported on both sides strengthening the whole assembly and keeping it rigidly positioned.....

Since there are so many points of support, the entire assembly was fabricated from thinwall tubing and fairly light gauge steel plates, probably adding less than three pounds to the bikes weight including pedals and linkages...

Assembly with footpegs and shifter pedal and linkage attached.... (note the small "upward" support "hook" bracket that goes to the outer case cover)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #13

Brilliant! I love how you were inspired by the brake to relocate the shifter. Can you show us the final product on the bike?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #14

Yes....I intend to show the install in steps (lots more pics) with detail shots of the actual physical connections to the frame, engine and brake and their linkages...It may take a week or two for me to get to it though....Busy time of year for me.......

Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #15

Great! No rush, I'm just very interested. 8)