Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

1969 Kaiser-Jeep M715 w/winch Expedition Truck

Looks like we are going to jump into this one. I recently purchased a 1969 Jeep M715 from a good friend's brother. The truck is currently stored in my friend's very large garage and he has most graciously offered to let me store it and work on it there. Which is an awesome thing to do. Once again, I'm in over my head with too many projects. I've decided to just do the minimum on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler to keep it going. This includes: new rear brakes, a new left fender, a little bodywork, some frame work and new paint for the frame. I may add a 1" body lift too and a Jeep Cherokee steering pump conversion is already in the works.

The Jeep M715 will be used as a tow vehicle/off-road/expedition type truck. I've been wanting a MV Expedition truck for a longtime. This one came along at the right time and for the right price. My first thought was to do a diesel conversion but I have a limited budget on this one. If I hit the lottery tomorrow the diesel is on. However, the diesel is heavy, complicated and the conversion is an expensive one. Nothing is cheap on a diesel truck. I've owned a Dodge Cummins Diesel in the past and it was a money grabber.

My second thought has been a small block Chevrolet conversion. It will work with the stock T98 transmission and drivetrain. That gets me rolling quicker and I can replace the other components as funds become available in the future. Getting it rolling on the stock axles will be the first priority. I may even start by firing up the stock 230 Tornado 6-cylinder. Clearing a workspace is the first order of business. For a longtime, I have wanted to try a propane conversion. I have contacted a company that specializes in this and I'm waiting for a reply to a few question. I have also found a S250 radio communication shelter to use as a camper and Summit Racing is sending new catalogs. The shelter is going to cost me about $1500 but I plan to sell my enclosed motorcycle trailer to buy that. I have no use for it anymore, as all the two-wheeled bikes are gone.

I will update this post with pictures of the truck and of what I am shooting for later. Thanks for your enthusiasm! I love this site!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #2

I'm looking forward to this. 8)

I mentioned it in your other thread, but a propane conversion pulls 20% of the HP out. You'd need a serious compression increase to get it back, and that will negate any fuel savings.

Gasoline is available everywhere. A nice post-'86 SBC one piece rear main seal block and prepped Vortec heads would be very sweet. You could set the compression anywhere you want, dictating the fuel grade you use.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #3

The benefits of propane far outweigh the problems associated with it. Here a list of the benefits taken from the suppliers website:

Propane is a by-product of the refining process of natural gas and crude oil. About 3% of a barrel of oil becomes propane. Propane boils at -44 degrees Fahrenheit; when it is vaporized, it becomes a gas again. Because it vaporizes at such a low temperature, it mixes easily with air. Therefore, it doesn't require a high temperature (over 400 degrees Fahrenheit for gasoline) for it to atomize. This improves cold starts, emissions, and drive-ability. Propane is a stable fuel; it doesn't go bad if you don't use it!

Since propane has such a low carbon content, motor oil never gets dirty which increases engine life. The oil does still need to be changed, though not as often. Spark plug life is dramatically extended. Also, you cannot "flood" a propane engine. When a gasoline engine "floods," raw fuel enters the cylinders, washing past the rings and into the oil, also wetting the plugs. Propane carburation automatically compensates for altitude changes, saving carb re-jetting and computer re-learn.

Since propane is under pressure, there are no fuel pumps, no float bowl, or needle and seat. Another plus is the high octane rating of propane between 100 and 110. This means that if you are turbocharging or supercharging, it is the ideal fuel. The propane system is sealed to the elements so that even complete submersion will not allow water into the fuel system.

Propane is available throughout the world. It is all the same fuel and the fittings are standardized. Your local propane dealer will usually cut you a break when buying motor fuel.

Propane:

*Will not go bad
*Burns clean
*Requires no maintenance
*Is easy to install
*Is very safe
*In many cases, it is much cheaper than gasoline
*Rates at 100-110 octane
*Automatically compensates for altitude
*Prolongs engine life
*Is affordable
*No loss of power with any of our kits (these are automotive kits)
*No wiring except the on/off solenoid.

All of our kits are complete with all the parts necessary to do the conversion. They do NOT include the tank.
All of our kits are designed to be installed to NFPA 58 standards.
Propane is not harmful to soil or water
This is the most reliable fuel system on the market, I only use the best parts available to the alt fuel market, and spend extra $$ in the manufacturing process to upgrade the internal parts from rubber to silicone, tripling the service life.

My thought is to add (2) 40 gallon tanks inboard of the frame on each side of the driveshaft. The stock M715 fuel tank will be removed and a new larger fuel tank will be installed behind the rear axle.

Weldandgrind,
You are correct. This truck will not get fantastic fuel economy. I expect something near to what a work truck would get. The savings will be in other areas. This thing will carry a load everywhere it goes. It is not a commuter truck. It's a work truck. The propane will not be the primary fuel source. The truck will be dual fuel capable. The propane will be used off-road and to extend the range.

A buddy and I recently purchased a Prowler tandem axle camping trailer. Our plan is to set the trailer on a campsite in the mountains. We want to have a jumping off point for motorcycle trips. The truck will get me and toys down there.

The S250 shelter will be a permanant fixture in the M715. It will never be separated from the truck, forseveral reasons. One reason is for occupant protection. The truck will be turned back into a ragtop. Hopefully, the shelter will keep the truck from rolling completely over in an accident. In severe weather, the shelter will offer protection from the elements. something my ragtop Jeep Wrangler could never do. My job is rather important. when I must be at work, I have to get there. the truck will allow me to stay on site, if severe weather makes traveling too difficult or unsafe. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I fully expect that this truck will be perfect for what I have in mind. Again, I planned to use an M35A2 for the same purpose. This truck is better in almost every way.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #4

I can appreciate the draw of a dual fuel vehicle, and we had a market that was flooded with them in Alberta in the 80's. The problem was primitive engine management; there wasn't a method for advancing the timing to work with the (relatively) low efficiency of propane, so it was a dog. As well, propane has a tendency to make valve guides squeak, since it lacks the lubricating qualities of gasoline.

With modern engine management, it would be possible to have separate gasoline and propane profiles, each with a specific ignition timing. It would be spendy, but it could be done.

Most Albertans have a sour taste for propane, because the gov't gave incentives for propane conversions, and then the cost of propane went way up. :(

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

I had to google up the shelter. That looks like a good starting point for a camper. Not alot of headroom, but good for sleeping.

Do they really cost $1500?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #6

Yep, sometimes you can find them cheaper than that. It depends on the condition too.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

It is sometimes worth paying more to start with a better unit. I should look into propane power from my lawnmower.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

The guy that built the M715 that katoranger linked to this thread, is suggesting that I go straight for the 5.9L Cummins engine conversion. He recommends looking for a used truck to strip. I'm not convinced! This isn't going to be an everyday truck. Not sure that I want to spend that much money on it. He built a 406cid Chevy and said that it sucked fuel. No joke! I'm just planning a mild small block. He also had a 6.2 GM Diesel engine, a 4BT and then finally the 5.9 diesel. The small block would be much more cost effective. The propane conversion is inexpensive and will only be used off-road and to extend the trucks range on the highway.

Again, this will be used like an RV not an everyday work truck. I will not drive it to work unless we have an emergency situation, where I may have to stay all weekend. Once or twice a month it may haul some toys to our mountain camp. I may use it to haul some scrap locally. Within 15 to 20 miles. If I buy a car, it may be used to haul it home. It might be used to haul firewood. This is my planned usage for the truck.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9

Sounds to me like a stout 350 would serve fine. The cost savings over the diesel you can use for gas. I think that you will still see 10mpg or better empty.

The diesel would pay off if you really wanted to drive it.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

That's what he said!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

Looks like the Kaiser deal fell through. I did pick up a rusted up 1972 Triumph TR6 in a trade though. Not sure what I'll do with it yet.

The reason for this is that my daughter backed her Jeep Liberty into my friend's new Toyota Tacoma and did $2000 worth of damage to the left rear quarter panel. The wife also had a $700 debt that she never bothered to tell me about. I used my Kaiser money to pay these off. It's just too much to recover from. My Jeep needs framework that must be done or it will not be drivable.

Easy come, easy go!

Sam
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/53627.html

This looks to be a good article for you and your project, Sam.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #13

As I posted earlier, it looks like the M715 is not going to happen. Too many things were going against it and as I said the money for the M715 Jeep went to pay for my daughter's recent Jeep accident.

I did some horse trading though and got a 1972 Triumph TR6 in a trade. It's not a bad little car. It's unmolested and has 68K original miles on it. She has some rust but it's nothing major that can't be fixed. The frame is sound and everything is available for it. I'll probably sell the Lotus Seven frame and just rebuild the Triumph now.

SamM

[/img]
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

The TR6 is one of my favorite British classics. Lovely car and nice to drive.

Will you be paining it BRG? 8)

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #15

I have always wanted a convertible.