Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #16

What about insurance? I've had issues in the past with a KTM because the insurance company couldn't find it in their database. Actually had to switch to another company. Any issues there?
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Old 11-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #17

I have my insurance through Geico on my Hawk 250, had no problems registering it here in Utah.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I have my insurance through Geico on my Hawk 250, had no problems registering it here in Utah.
Same here. Got Geico insurance online with no issues.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
Confirmed, can't say this enough, as some dealers appear to be misleading customers. The Hawk is NOT approved by the DOT for on road use. It was designed for off road use, and it has off road tires. In some states, in some regions, in some counties, the local state bureaucracy will approve it for onroad use. Other states will not. The key thing to ask your local DMV is whether they allow you to convert dirtbikes for onroad use, by adding lights, mirrors, etc. If they do, then you can get the bike on road. If they do not, then you can't.

Those tires are dot85 approved. also I have 1002 miles on my hawk and the tires still look new.. if I rode my motocross bike on the road "yz250" the tires would be dead in a short few hundred miles.. they are a different compound,

The tires on the hawk are 90/10 dot approved tires. mine passed the NY inspection with no issues.

That said I'll lilely replace them with a 80/20 or more road use tire when they do die.

In NYS it seems all they care about is the designation on the MCO, Mine was designated as Motorcycle, and they didnt ask a single question.. other's with a designation of Dirt Bike have not had much luck.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

Has anyone done a thread or video with set up procedures with torque specs? Or is this info in the manual. Like triple tree clamp bolts, axel nuts, shock bolt / nut, etc. etc. I see vids on youtube of guys just wrenching them down and I cringe at the thought. I've restored and brought back to life many old jap bikes and there is a proper torque spec on this stuff. Just curious, and please don't take this as me dogging anyone, just my .02. When I get my bike in the crate I want to do it right the first time, I will be in no hurry. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Has anyone done a thread or video with set up procedures with torque specs? Or is this info in the manual. Like triple tree clamp bolts, axel nuts, shock bolt / nut, etc. etc. I see vids on youtube of guys just wrenching them down and I cringe at the thought. I've restored and brought back to life many old jap bikes and there is a proper torque spec on this stuff. Just curious, and please don't take this as me dogging anyone, just my .02. When I get my bike in the crate I want to do it right the first time, I will be in no hurry. Thanks again.
I have asked the same and never got an answer here. I never was able to find that info anywhere. I think that kind of info would make a great sticky.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #22

Doh! Problem with China bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I have asked the same and never got an answer here. I never was able to find that info anywhere. I think that kind of info would make a great sticky.
That is a major problems with most China, non-major manufactured bikes. Hard to get common specs for assembly and everyday service items.
Maybe when they assemble the bikes in China they just use the "shade tree mechanic" specs, "tighten until it feels "right" or breaks"!

Old 11-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
That is a major problems with most China, non-major manufactured bikes. Hard to get common specs for assembly and everyday service items.
Maybe when they assemble the bikes in China they just use the "shade tree mechanic" specs, "tighten until it feels "right" or breaks"!
I never thought about that but you may be right. That would explain a lot. Ive been going by bolt type and size. Making a list of the torque for the bolts I work on for next time (and the next time after that).

Old 11-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #24

Well there ya go Merlin, you COULD be the first to post up such specs. I guess I'll do the same when the time comes. Just google the torque for the size bolt. Unlessen you're gonna post up that there list of yers.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #25

Quote:
A Senior moment just happened to me. Or a momentary mental abberation over my beloved Cubs winning the World Series. I found those specs somewhere, wrote them down, and now can't find them.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Well there ya go Merlin, you COULD be the first to post up such specs. I guess I'll do the same when the time comes. Just google the torque for the size bolt. Unlessen you're gonna post up that there list of yers.
Could be a lot of help for folks if people would post this kind of info in one place where we all could find it.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
A Senior moment just happened to me. Or a momentary mental abberation over my beloved Cubs winning the World Series. I found those specs somewhere, wrote them down, and now can't find them.
Congrats on the Cubs I was rooting for em too.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Congrats on the Cubs I was rooting for em too.
Hey Merlin, guess what. I found the scrap of paper that I wrote the torque figures on. Unfortunetley it is in Newton Meters. Whoa, I just found the translator. So here goes. These are for the Hawk.

Front X 46-47 ft/lbs
Swing Arm 64.9 ft/lbs
Monoshock 32.5 top and bottom
Front and Top Engine Mounts, and multi bolt engine mounts 25.8 ft/lbs
Bottom and rear engine mounts 44.25 ft/lbs
Front brake Caliper 22.1 ft/lbs

Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Hey Merlin, guess what. I found the scrap of paper that I wrote the torque figures on. Unfortunetley it is in Newton Meters. Whoa, I just found the translator. So here goes. These are for the Hawk.

Front X 46-47 ft/lbs
Swing Arm 64.9 ft/lbs
Monoshock 32.5 top and bottom
Front and Top Engine Mounts, and multi bolt engine mounts 25.8 ft/lbs
Bottom and rear engine mounts 44.25 ft/lbs
Front brake Caliper 22.1 ft/lbs
Thanks soooo much this is some great info. Time to copy and paste.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #30

Anyone seen these that APSCUSA has. http://www.apscusa.com/New-2015-Stal...uro_p_627.html
It kinda looks like a Brozz, has the luggage rack I like, no pics of the instrument cluster and I don't know if its a counterbalanced engine, pushrod, or OHV.