Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I forgot about the full sized wheels on the Recon. But you can find knobbies including DOT approved knobbies in the 19"/17" sizes.
I do like the out of the box stiffness of the inverted forks (Bashan models and the Templars). Templar M is an outstanding value, but it doesn't come with a luggage rack. If this is no problem, this bike comes with the 5 speed ZS172FMM. It is a really nice engine.

MegaDan has a thread describing a front fork upgrade for the Hawk that makes them perform well with mild bumps, then engages a smaller port with harder bumps that controls dive better and improves damping and rebound.

Powersportsmax has lots of parts for the Templars in stock, and they can order most other parts from Zuumav supplier. I haven't needed much, but they got me a front wheel and a starter both under warranty, no questions asked (they just wanted photos showing issues).

Templar X is well equipped upon arrival and it is all DOT approved, street legal...and it gets the 19hp engine, 6 speed, grippy light/tough bear claw footpegs, folding short shifter, nice luggage rack with mounts for side racks coming soon, fully adjustable suspension (separate compression and rebound settings on both ends, plus preload rear spring adjustment), adjustable brake and clutch levers, full sized wheels with decent tires mounted, rim locks, and an amazingly stiff and tough enduro scaled frame that still comes in at under 270lbs ($10k - 15k KTM Husq, etc come in at about 260lbs). That is an accomplishment! On the seat... I have never been uncomfortable on the seat, but my rides are 2 hours max. There is more foam under there than it appears. I am about 190lbs, and I fit well on the bike. At 5'10", it feels like a cadillac once I am rolling. I won't ever push it beyond it's limits, even though I am pretty aggressive. I just wish my should would allow me to jump higher. It is the landings that threaten my shoulder!

These are all crate bikes, and you have to put them together. You will have to rejet, presumably, but the rest is adjusting and positioning controls to suit your preferences.
The X just seems like a great value for what you get and that's why it bubbled up to the top of my list. Encouraging to hear you've had good luck getting parts and the MCO may come as Motorcycle or can be updated to Motorcycle. I'd like to catch a black friday special on which ever bike and get it plated before the rules change on me in Washington State.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:46 AM   #17

One thing I am fuzzy on with either bike is if they have U.S. Forest Service spark approved arrestors. Some riding will be on farmland so spark arrestors are a must. What's the scoop on that?

Old 11-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAdventures View Post
Huck, I saw this somewhere too that 07 RMZ plastic would fit but I never saw that someone actually did it and made it happen. Do you know of someone that actually tried it? Or have you seen in documented with pictures? From looking at pictures it looks like RMZ plastic would fit but looks can be deceiving. It would be awesome if this is the case.
No, I don't know of anyone that has done this, but I've been contemplating ordering a set of yellow for mine, if I do, I will post results....I have an AJP Dirt bike, and its rear fenders and side plate come from a 85 KTM SX, and I have bought and used the KTM parts on it.........

the Fuel Tank is definitely different than the Suzuki, but the frame is a KTM knock off, so might be able to use an aftermarket KTM tank
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 11-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #19

I ordered a set of 07-09 RMZ 250 graphics from Kalair-gfx. I got their thinnest option so I could make sure they would match the Templar X plastic. And it does. About to order a custom set of the thick ones for my Templar X. That still doesn’t mean the Suzuki plastics will fit the Templar X. If I had to bet on it. I would say that they would. The bolt holes are in the same place. Looks like the Templar X gas tank was molded to fit the Suzuki plastic. But again. I haven’t actually tried to fit any OEM Suzuki plastic to the Templar X yet. I hope this helps. I will certainly update this thread if I learn more.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:57 AM   #20

Very promising point on the graphics lining up. Thanks for chiming in with that bit of info.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAdventures View Post
One thing I am fuzzy on with either bike is if they have U.S. Forest Service spark approved arrestors. Some riding will be on farmland so spark arrestors are a must. What's the scoop on that?
Aftermarket spark arrestors are available. They slip into the tip of the muffler and you can drill/rivet or set with a screw. Amazon has the Yoshimura TEC-SB-B for $30 that looks like it will fit, but they show no dimensions. Templar's exhaust pipe has a fairly narrow tip diameter. You may have to replace the cannister to install a spark arrestor, depending on what you end up getting.

But you know, these bikes do have a catalytic converter in the headpipe region. I think that would provide pretty effective spark arrestor function.

If that's true, then you could remove the cannister and stamp "spark arrestor" on the tip

Old 11-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #22

The stock exhausts on the Hawk-like bikes all have a spark arrestor end baffle built in. Not sure about the Templar.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The stock exhausts on the Hawk-like bikes all have a spark arrestor end baffle built in. Not sure about the Templar.
I should have also asked if there a stamp on the outside of the muffler indicating a US Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor, some of the Off Road Vehicle parks in my area require that. One park has a big sign at the entrance that lists off the requirements to ride and penalties for breaking the rules. It would be pretty tough to say you didn't know it was required. If no stamp I would probably need to investigate an aftermarket pipe for either bike or an insert like Thumper suggested. I'd need something where I can show proof it is legit. That's said the Hawk looks very much like a factory dual-sport so it wouldn't draw the same attention as someone on a beat to crap YZ125.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #24

Here is what I wonder about the Templar. The company name is Zuumav? That sounds Russian to me. I mean, I am not an expert but that sounds Russian. So if that is true and the bikes were labeled and marketed for the Russian rider, does their sudden arrival in the states with features almost too good to be true have anything to do with the war? The parts issue is what scared me off I think. Not the engine parts, but other things. And to be honest at the end of the day, what I know about the war and that name Zuumav makes me wary. Eh well, just some food for thought. Correct me if I am mistaken about my thinking here.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #25

https://zuumav.en.alibaba.com/

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #26

https://zuumav.en.alibaba.com/compan...145f7de0tzcOJ6

Okay well that clearly shows their main market for them and that is interesting. They have some really nice looking machines but the company is only 5 years old. How can we be sure it wasn't founded by Reptilians?

Old 12-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #27

What's a reptilian? Chinese have been cloning technology since the 60s, or before. Patent thief? Is that a reptilian?

Wuyi Zuma is one. Kamax is another. I am looking into ordering a Kamax 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke. They use the same suspension and brakes used on GPX bikes. KTM clones. But like other Chinese companies, they are learning things on their own and growing. The quality of the engineering is good now. No, not exotic alloys and high end QC parts like you find on Husqvarna or the other top competitors, but those brands are for racing/competition.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
What's a reptilian? Chinese have been cloning technology since the 60s, or before. Patent thief? Is that a reptilian?

Wuyi Zuma is one. Kamax is another. I am looking into ordering a Kamax 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke. They use the same suspension and brakes used on GPX bikes. KTM clones. But like other Chinese companies, they are learning things on their own and growing. The quality of the engineering is good now. No, not exotic alloys and high end QC parts like you find on Husqvarna or the other top competitors, but those brands are for racing/competition.
it was a stupid joke from a dude who clearly watches too many alien conspiracy documentaries. heheheh

Old 12-31-2022, 09:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I love Lifan, they have some really good bikes but they don't have the KPX250 at Brozz level prices so I went through my list of wants and sorted out what I could live without. EFI dropped off my list and Templar X 250 it became. Once you get into the 3k range I would rather go Royal Enfield with their state of the art factory putting out the cleanest engines, cleaner inside than Japanese motors and of course every bike they sell having a 3 year warranty and 3 years of road side assistance if you break down both of which can transfer to the next buyer of your bike if the 3 years has not expired yet.
See sig
Also just got a Halcyon Green Classic 350 for my dad.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 05-06-2023, 01:04 AM   #30

Mission accomplished but with a different bike. I came close to pulling the trigger on a Hawk but found a 97 DR350S for about the price of a carb'd Hawk that was in good shape. It has a good slow putt-putt speed so I can tag along with my little nephew on his XR100 and has been good for my other older nephew that is learning to ride. It's also a bike that puts a smile on my face, it's easy to ride and has some pep.

Although the Templar X would be the most fun bike for me I chickened out with the newness of the bike and would have gone with the Hawk. There is value in the Hawk for me with easy access to aftermarket parts and every nut and bolt is known on that bike.

For me the point is to be out riding however regardless of bike there is a maintenance/tinker factor. I've been keeping track of maintenance on the DR versus my thoughts on a new Hawk. I think overall the DR has probably netted out to less work. On the DR I've check valves, swapped batteries, changed tires, shimmed the carb and have fluids to change. On the Hawk I would have had assembly, valves, carb and fluids. Also I was able to see and ride the DR before the purchase where as the Hawk has the damage during shipping hassle factor that may occur.

Still may end up with a Hawk though, the older nephew has a younger brother that likes the idea of riding. We'll see where that goes, glad to see the price of Hawks have dropped a bit. Maybe I can stumble onto a cheap used Hawk.