Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #1

Doh! Time to get back on one!!! (Toyota Truck hit me at 14yo)

Greetings Everyone!!!

Thia is way too long but I've tried to make it readable. Oh yeah fhe following two paragraphs are the gist of why I'm here.. haha

Since I want something to ride on both street and trail, I started looking at DRZ400s and was about to buy a highly modded one from a mechanic that worked in a Suzuki shop. He had a ton of bikes and said he just didn't have time to ride em. I wish I'd bought it.

I recently asked if it might be available and he pointed me to a guy who had a 2004 for 3500, it too was modified because a previous owner ran it dry of oil. I happened upon one of the Hawk DLX for 2000 new lol. Later I discovered the Lifan KLX and I've been reading and reading and watching the videos of them. I'm really considering the Lifan for the extra power, warranty(?), and the six-speed because I'm 6'1" 250(Ilost about 80 so far but I've stalled.. haha). Right now I'm reading posts trying to decide what to buy something cheap but brand spanking new or something used that might be a killer deal, a migraine, or just a killer.

These two are background and not necessary really. They were going to be the first two paragraphs of the story.

I used to ride dirt bikes up until I was about 19. At 14 I told a friend at his house I could go home get my swimming trunks on, grab my Crossman 760 and be back in 10 to 15 minutes. All dirt road one lane, mud holes and everything that comes with that and since I'm in the mountains, lots of twisty turns. I made it home and was on my way back when about a quarter mile from home a toyota truck hit me or vice versa. He was drunk and I was not only moving at a good clip,I looked around to see if another friend was home. I looked back locked it up sliding sideways, and hit on my left side breaking my arm and leg. Eventually after healing I got back on it and rode it until I was 19 or so.

I wanna get back on after all that time. I haven't kept up with anything since they got rid of 2-strokes. I enjoyed both though leaning more toward the larger 4-strokes. I've rode a ton of different bikes though, my favorite being a XR600 a friend let me and an RM250 2-stroke that was setup nicely. Finally got to ride on of the new motocross 4-strokes and it was nice. I forgot the size but I think it was 450 or 400 and really liked it. I love the way the old XR's sounded with the baffle out or a SuperTrapp on.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:59 PM   #2

Ouch.. but... So what interests you out there now? Cheap crate bikes go to 250cc. You can buy ore expensive bigger 2 stroke and 4 strokes (GPX, for example).

What do you want??

Old 04-10-2023, 11:08 PM   #3

I was thinking new lifan or used DRZ

The lifan 250 has a few upgrades I believe over the 2k range models. Definitely have to be a 250 to haul me around.. I've rode the late 80's early 90's XR250 and was thinking one of these 250s having the advantage of the better technology and such so should run just as well.

Thinking about ordering from venom since everyone seems to like them and their customer service after the sale..Which is very important. Honestly, I've gotta call and see if they can deliver it up my driveway which is paved and smaller trucks can get up here dualies like wreckers, rollbacks, furniture stores and such.but a big r & l I don't think so. I used to unload those all the time at a mine supply warehouse and they're a good size truck. Small considering, but.

I wanna put tags on it and use it to run around locally instead of my car. And hit the hills of course.

3k is all I wanna spend considering the x-pro's are "just fine"

If an emp is set off the efi would die unless shielded. while the carb models aren't hahaa.

Oh yeah I've heard of balanced and blueprinted for auto motors, but counter-balance seems like something different.

thanks for asking it helps to know what you want.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:41 AM   #4

I own both a 2016 Hawk 250 and the Lifan KPX 250. The KPX is a much better bike all around. At 6'1" this bike will fit you perfect. The KPX will run 70+ mph right out the create without having to do any mods. The Hawk will require some mods to even come close to those speeds. The KPX is also a better quality bike than the Hawk and does come with a 2 year/12000 mile parts warranty with a great after sales support from Lifan and a dealer like Venom Motorsports.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback and replies. I just saw the Templar x, and it's 1k cheaper. If I can't get the kpx, I may look at it. I've checked out all your videos, thanks for those BTW

I've got to do some searching on here to see if I can get it tagged in Virginia, it shouldn't be a problem but they're nit picky..

Another thing that turned need onti the lifan is the 2 year, 12k warranty offered by Venom.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by griizgrokz View Post
Thanks for the feedback and replies. I just saw the Templar x, and it's 1k cheaper. If I can't get the kpx, I may look at it. I've checked out all your videos, thanks for those BTW

I've got to do some searching on here to see if I can get it tagged in Virginia, it shouldn't be a problem but they're nit picky..

Another thing that turned need onti the lifan is the 2 year, 12k warranty offered by Venom.
The Templar X is a good bike. Just verify that you can get it tagged and registered with the DMV before buying. Most people had good luck but some didn't. That's only because it's classified as dirt bike. I took that same chance on my 2016 Hawk but knew before buying i might not be able to get it tagged. Luckily Louisiana don't care as long as it has everything you need for street use.

The KPX should be no problem unless you live in California which you do not. It is EPA approved for Street use.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #7

Tags and Insurance.

That's sorta what I gathered but I figured since there were lights and such, and I could get an inspection sticker on it then Id be golden. I was leaning toward the kpx and you've sold it with the tagging deal. So unless some miraculous deal comes along on a very well kept Japanese bike KPX it is . I've got the other half to approve it lol but not without an earful of "I thought it was going to be 2k"i I hope to order one within the month.

I haven't had time to go through the forums to search for "tips and tricks" that you only learn from experience. It seems like I've watched every video available on dirt bikes from china, and I've watched your Hawk/KPX comparison a few times and will probably watch it again.

If you happen to come back through here, how long have you owned both? My memory is going pretty quick so I could have heard you say it or read it but still forgot.. haha.

Thanks again.
griz

Old 04-13-2023, 09:32 AM   #8

I bought the KPX in June of 2022 and been having the Hawk since October of 2016.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by griizgrokz View Post
That's sorta what I gathered but I figured since there were lights and such, and I could get an inspection sticker on it then Id be golden. I was leaning toward the kpx and you've sold it with the tagging deal. So unless some miraculous deal comes along on a very well kept Japanese bike KPX it is . I've got the other half to approve it lol but not without an earful of "I thought it was going to be 2k"i I hope to order one within the month.

I haven't had time to go through the forums to search for "tips and tricks" that you only learn from experience. It seems like I've watched every video available on dirt bikes from china, and I've watched your Hawk/KPX comparison a few times and will probably watch it again.

If you happen to come back through here, how long have you owned both? My memory is going pretty quick so I could have heard you say it or read it but still forgot.. haha.

Thanks again.
griz
I have a Templar X and I'm in Kentucky, and have it titled and tagged, just had to request a MCO from the supplier that read "Motorcycle" instead of "Off Road" on the MCO....then they tagged it no problem
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Tags
tldr