Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #1

Does any one ride the lifan 200cc street bikes?

The first motorcycle I ever looked at buying was a 200cc street bike (lifan or roketa, cant remember). Back then it was $1200 shipped brand new on ebay all day. Now it is hard to find them and if you do, they have gone wayyy up. I have seen that, if modded properly, they can get up to 90 mph. That means a 35 tooth rear sprocket, jets, and air filter ($50) and you'd be set fr a little while. Are these bikes any good? I will be riding to work and back on 55mph roads. I never drive on freeways so thats not a worry, I just wanted to kow the CR opinion :wink:
Thanks, Mike

Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

People do, it seems most people here are more geared to the dirt/dual sport options however... They are decent bikes, I think they are decent bikes from what I've heard... The only problem off the top of my head that I've seen with them is the rear up breaking up (may be due to loose sprocket bolts?). I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #3

I can't imagine hitting 90 (nor would I try). Likely the best you can hope for is 65-70 mph.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #4

Re: Does any one ride the lifan 200cc street bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhatcher
The first motorcycle I ever looked at buying was a 200cc street bike (lifan or roketa, cant remember). I have seen that, if modded properly, they can get up to 90 mph. That means a 35 tooth rear sprocket, jets, and air filter ($50) and you'd be set fr a little while. Are these bikes any good? I will be riding to work and back on 55mph roads. I never drive on freeways so thats not a worry, I just wanted to kow the CR opinion :wink:
Thanks, Mike
Mike,
I looked at them hard also, when I first got back on a bike. I decided to go with a dual-sport for more versatility.
Getting to 90...I don't know. Gearing will be the thing. My dual sport pulled all the way to red-line, so it could carry a higher gear.

My 660cc single will only get up to 100, stock. Geared high in 5th. Runs out of oomph in 5th. Plus I ain't light weight... :wink:
Most guys add 3 teeth and can get 110-120 then...
Bill R

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

I might would buy one if I could find one, but I cant find anything. I like the ninja 250's, but I can only afford a used one and you never know what the first buyer has done with it, and insurance cost more. I like the single cylinder too because they are soooo much eaiser to work on, service, etc. And I can put up with a little vibration. On a ninja you have to adjust the carbs and 4x the number of valves that are on a 200.
The only place I can find one:
http://www.nationalonlinescooters.co...OD&ProdID=1864

Yay or nay?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

I would steer you toward the zongshen or the later version of the lifan sportbike. The zong will still have parts available.

The early ones seemed to have weak rear hubs.

The dual sports models are much easier to find parts for and simpler overall.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #7

Check out these threads on the Kinroad I had:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...h&mode=results

I was seriously unimpressed with it and the guy I sold it to has had a lot of problems, mostly electrical. This bike was a 230cc Hondoid/Lifanoid with dual exhaust and it would do about 70 after I regeared it. I would strongly not recommend one.

The Zongshen GS I have now seems head and shoulders about the quality of that particular Hondoid.

JMHO.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #8

2 very good replies from Kato and Doc.
You did see that model of Lifan in really beat-up shape for sale, after only a year or 2.
I do like the Zongshen 250, if you can find one...
Check your area for an MZ Skorpion, also. 660cc single Yamaha engine. Usually around $2000 for one with decent mileage.
Decent example:
MZ Skorpion for sale
Bill R

Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #9

ALL 200 above is building quality are so so :oops: In past some chinese guy fitted that type of engine on dirt bike. After beated it hard (Hi Rev but not enough air take the heat out) on "dirty"place , the engine often... :oops:
The newer so called "250" OHC based on Honda MD33E (223cc) quality is far better

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #10

I parted out one of the lifans. It was horrible with just a few miles on it.

The Zong is far better. If you really want a sport/street bike I would buy a low mileage 250 ninja.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #11

Here's the (relatively) current application of that engine in Japan. I like it. http://world.honda.com/news/2002/2020409.html

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #12

What a nice looking bike! I love it!

Note that is is also a 5 speed.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #13

I'll bet that it's made here: http://world.honda.com/group/WuyangH...torsGuangzhou/

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

The knock-off is based on air cool MD33E that 1st found on 90s SL230. http://blog.inmycab.com/?p=761
CR250 powered by knock-off Jialing: http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_591662_1.htm

Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #15

Why do you think I like the Galaxy SUV250 so much, it has that engine the 223 and is one of the better engines.

Note: you cannot get these in the USA so do not ask about were you can get them, they sell in china for $1,500.00

Then also pointed out what the Japanese are doing with that frame and engine…

That is a custom version......

..... of the FTR223 a bike that is in production and sold in Japan.