Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion

Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #31

Hi Doug.........you refer to older bikes as being inferior and refer to them as the old 150 and 200gy's....but the SSR's are both described as a 200GY and 250GY. Help me understand what GY aspect these bikes all have in common? What does it mean? It seems to be a very generic term and its tough to follow.....thx...wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Chinese Dual Sports are Not all = Equal.

I see allot of guys saying over $1500 or over $2000 I will not buy a bike. Let me help with this decision. I am not trying to be a sales person either, I have owned ridden and built them all..... in 10 years of owning a Chinese Only Dealership.

10 years ago I started with a 200GY from Lifan, and a 200GY from Shineray. Both made in the Chongqing central region of China. I have been to China Countless Times in the last 10 years, and Imported my own line. I know the factories in all areas of Chongqing, Zhejiang, and Guangzhou.

The original 150-200cc GY bikes I could find everywhere were not bad bikes, but in comparison to the Qlink, and SSR bikes..... they were absolute junk. I put almost 15,000 miles on a pair of the old 200GYs that I took to Baja several times per year. We did on road, and off road riding, and rode them hard. Not bad for a $1500 bike!

What was bad about the old GY bikes?
These bikes could be made at one of 150 different motorcycle assembly plants.
The panels would not go onto the bikes well.
Hard time lining up parts to assemble the bike.
Over all Fit & Finish was SHI#@$%^$% !!!
Cheap parts for the most part.
Hard shocks
Steel rims and handle bars
Very old Pushrod CG Honda Type Motor from late 70s
Crap Exhaust
Crap cables
Crap Slider/Cable only Carburetors

Qlink & SSR Bikes are only made by Pioneer / Qingqi. The main company is Qingqi. They have been in bed with Suzuki for over 30 years, and French Pueugeot for over 10. The company is massive, and Government Owned.... meaning unlimited R&D. This is as close as you come to seeing a mirror image of a Tokyo Plant in China. Good Stuff!!!

Fit & Finish on the entire bike is just like a $6000 Japanese Bike.
Parts quality is like Japan.
The engine is like the Suzuki DR200SE... so much more smooth and modern than GY bikes, and the old CG motors.
These engines actually have a oil filter... CGs do not.
The Qlink and SSR motors have 2x the oil capacity of the old CG motors.
The carburetors are modern vacuum operated, and come from Japan.

If you took the old and new out for a day of riding.... you would see the HUGE difference.
If you had to assemble, PDI, Tune and prepare a old and new bike out of the box for a customer, you would see a HUGE difference!!!

I assure you, there is no comparison from the old GY bikes, to the modern Qlink and SSR bikes. Do not be afraid to spend $3000 on a new one. It's still 1/2 the cost of the counterpart from Japan.... and almost the same bike.

I hope this helps......

Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #32

I believe 'GY' is the designation the Chinese employ for any dual sport motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #33

Not all GYs are created equally. I think that the manufacturers could come up with some more descriptive designations. For instance, the 'old' GYs could continue to be called a 'GY' provided a bike is a dirt or dual sport bike with an 'old' Honda cloned engine.

The Suzuki-like ones are already called XF, so that should be the name. If Zongshen ever brings back the Yamaha clone engine, those could be called something else.

I am not sure if the new range of liquid-cooled engines recently released by Shineray and most recently by Zongshen (i.e. their new RX3 shown on Mychinamoto) but if so, those could be referred to as something else.

Every time someone new joins up, and they obtained a low-cost bike from CL or trade, they usually have a GY. This way, we can have a visual, when they join and have no idea what it is. We can say, "oh, yeah, that is a Hondnoid" When Qlinks start showing up here as $ 500 deals, and the owner has no idea what it is, at least he/she could say "it's a XF" and we would have a good idea what it is they are referring to.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #34

Resurrecting an old thread here folks. I knew if I searched around enough after my absence, I'd find something on the SSR bikes.

I'm sure what Doug is referring to is the much older Hondanoids from the early days of the CB's being imported when he's referring to the "old GY's". The Q's and SSR's are lightyears ahead...though I have both.

I will vouch for Doug here as he's my dealer here in Sac. I've bought 4 bikes (2 Hensim 150's, an X-moto Hondanoid and my Q-link XP) and a quad (for my father-in-law) from him over the years and he's always been a straight shooter, pulls no punches and a hard worker who stands behind what he's sold me. He's also been able to provide every part I've needed every time I walk in the door, without having to order. His new shop in huge and just his parts and accessory section is downright impressive. He also spends almost a month every couple years travelling China making contacts and touring factories, so he's not just a mail-order guy whos signed a sheet of paper to deal CB's out of his garage, but knows the business and more importantly, which are the good factoies to buy from and which are not.
I feel very fortunate to have a good, local dealer and support. It really takes a lot of the worry out of owning a CB.
Could I buy online for cheaper? Most likely....but he's earned my business. If anyone ever gets a chance to visit his shop if you're coming through Nor Cal, you'll be happy that you did.

....and to answer your question....no, I don't work for him! :-)
I'd love to get my hands on one of the SSR 250's he's got.....but I think a ranch quad is next on the docket with our land that needs work..... Tractor pulls one cart, need a quad to pull the second cart.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #35

It's nice to hear from you again, 2LZ. Thanks for posting the report of good customer service.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #36

Hey 2LZ! Thanks for letting us know that Doug is a straight shooter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer