Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #31

The part that Hellkitty posted helped me figure out that the lower end of my cylinder says 124cm³

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Re...item51f1056c5b

The part I had listed before was for a 52.4mm which is apparently mislabeled 110cc engines. This one here seems to look exactly like the same setup I have.

Would it be okay to use the current head but just do a rebuild on the cylinder and piston?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMantia View Post
The part that Hellkitty posted helped me figure out that the lower end of my cylinder says 124cm³

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Re...item51f1056c5b

The part I had listed before was for a 52.4mm which is apparently mislabeled 110cc engines. This one here seems to look exactly like the same setup I have.

Would it be okay to use the current head but just do a rebuild on the cylinder and piston?
should be. Are the valves, rockers, cam ok?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #33

Photo reupload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
should be. Are the valves, rockers, cam ok?
This is what the valves and everything looked like when i disassembled the head. I'm not sure if its damaged too bad, I've also contacted TaoTao about their warranty implied in the owners manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180518_215813[1].jpg (39.5 KB, 921 views)
File Type: jpg 20180518_211214[1].jpg (47.5 KB, 905 views)

Old 05-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #34

I know I sound like a commercial for Kronik, but I figure they have been in business for years and build racing pitbikes out of Chinese bikes, so know these engines (other than Taotao) well. I forgot to mention he can accept photo texts, and did mention to have you photo text him to figure out if the Vader internals can work in the Taotao.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #35

Quote:
This is what the valves and everything looked like when i disassembled the head. I'm not sure if its damaged too bad, I've also contacted TaoTao about their warranty implied in the owners manual.
Looks like you should replace the head assembly. Valves look beat up. :(

Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #36

That sucks man, I'm glad I replaced my carb right off the bat. You'll be very happy with the 26mm BUT to get the most out of it, you'll need to upgrade the stock intake pipe, my hellcat even tho the carb was a PZ25 the intake pipe was still only a 19mm ID, which will kinda choke it off. You'll get a performance boost just from swapping the carbs... I haven't used a butterfly choke like that for awhile, and now I'm glad I don't lol. So when you put it back together, did you happen to recheck the valve clearance?? Theres a good chance their knocked out of wack now, but if those valves seat tight when closed, that should fire up, I've ran a piston and head in a 25HP Cub cadet that the valve came loose and jammed in to the piston hard, left an imprint lol. got new valves and springs etc, still running today a few hundred hours on it. But if the valve clearance is out of wack, then your compression might be down to shit, and either won't run or run like garbage... also if your still using the same carb, then you have no choke now, so I'm sure it will be a rough start with that alone, but would start. I could be wrong tho, if so I'm sure someone will chime in. My Hellcat has 1300 miles on it, only thing I had go wrong was carb related as well, but mine was the throttle needle C clip got sucked in, small enough to probably shoot out the muffler like a BB, swapped it out for another carb that was a little better quality and she's been running good since, that was around 900 miles, and the carb that went was not the stock one, so I'd still say the bike is worth every cheap penny I spent on it. Good luck tho, which ever route you go down to fix it, sounds like there is a lot of informed and helpful people hear to help. Good to have that on your side thats for sure.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 AM   #37

I changed the carb on my Hellcat right away too. I went with the chukuni VM22 mounted to the stock intake and stock airbox. The carb barley clears the starter but it fit. I dremeled a taper in the intake to match the carb, so the air/fuel kind of funnels in to it. I might be robbing it of some power by using the stock intake but it runs perfect. I haven't done a top speed test on it but I can get it to 50 in no time with the stock gearing. I like using the airbox because it give an extra layer of protection from sucking water into the intake while splashing through a creek or puddle.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #38

Quote:
At this point it looks like you will be replacing the cylinder and piston. Besides the damage I seen in the pictures. I see one reason why it didn't start. Plug tip took a beating. If you clean it out real good and it still has good compression and no scaring of the cylinder, try putting a new plug. It might run as is. You can always go with a big bore kit.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #39

Before you go down the path of replacing with another 125... maybe look at the ZS190?

If not, check the facebook pages... ZS190 Swap Shop, ZS190 Swap Page, Clone Army, Icebear Fuerza Owners Page, etc.

Probably someone on there will sell you a 125 for super cheap if they did the zs190 swap. I think a while back someone gave the old engine away.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
At this point it looks like you will be replacing the cylinder and piston. Besides the damage I seen in the pictures. I see one reason why it didn't start. Plug tip took a beating. If you clean it out real good and it still has good compression and no scaring of the cylinder, try putting a new plug. It might run as is. You can always go with a big bore kit.

I agree with JerryHawk
I have seen worse run just fine. If the exhaust valve seat is not beat up it should run good with the old parts. I have had glow plugs go through a cylinder and out the exhaust and the engines were fine. I would remove the exhaust valve and give it a look though.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #41

New engine arrived

I ordered a new engine from Partskit and this is how it was packaged, $284 shipped to Northern California. Comes with everything besides the sprocket cover, and manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180604_120529[1].jpg (94.5 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_120548[1].jpg (99.3 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_120621[1].jpg (83.8 KB, 695 views)

Old 06-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #42

Quote:
I ordered a new engine from Partskit and this is how it was packaged, $284 shipped to Northern California. Comes with everything besides the sprocket cover, and manifold.
Sweet. Post pictures of your install please.
Why did you decide to replace the whole engine?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Sweet. Post pictures of your install please.
Why did you decide to replace the whole engine?
It was really easy, I didn't even need a jack to install it. Just loosened the rear set on both sides so i could get to the lower engine mount. Got down real low and lifted the engine into place with one hand, and set a bolt in the top mount to hold it in place with the other. then the engine was able to pivot itself into the lower mount so I could bolt that too.

all the wire connections have plugs that fit up to the existing wire harness, which was nice since my geese chewed on the cables a little bit and made them ugly.

I torqued the engine mount bolts to 45ft/lbs

Reasoning for a new engine? I guess I could have saved a few bills by buying just the parts but this way I know I've got a fresh start again and no issues should arise.

I first took my hellcat to a muddy dirt-bike track when It arrived, in hindsight it was probably a terrible idea for it and most likely contributed to the rust spots on the engine.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #44

Quote:
How long did it take to get the engine, and how was the experience buying from them?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
How long did it take to get the engine, and how was the experience buying from them?
I placed my order on 5/24 and there was a holiday soon after

Engine was shipped with Fedex Home Delivery

Package was picked up by carrier service in Irving Texas on 5/30 and was delivered by 6/4

I didn't speak with them at all, and it was very straight forward. I always feel kinda worried ordering from sites that don't have much reviews, but it went very smoothly. The package shown in the picture was also inside of another box, with a CAUTION HEAVY sticker on it.

Tags
125cc, hellcat, taotao