Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I don't think this motor is much different than the CSC version, other than the tuning can be on the rich side because it doesn't meet CARB regs. The 31 hp on Pitsters spec sheet is probably innacurate; my hunch is the 27.5 hp figure is right.

The seat pan appears to be identical to the KTM. Seat Concepts has done me a good job on past seats, but I decided to use the information on this guys website to roll my own: http://diymotorcycleseat.com/

The new seat is about 2" lower and has sit bone relief and a "Purple" sample pad for a tailbone relief. My shaping skills suck, so I haven't posted anything about it. It looks a little lumpy, but it seems to work. I'll take a few pics of the LXR fully loaded for our 10 days of goat trails trip. We leave next week, so it's been a hectic week!!

There is a TM Designworks skidplate on it's way from MA that I sincerely hope gets here before we leave. The part # is KTMC-250-BK and fitment is still up in the air.
Really interested in seeing how the bike works out for you on a long trip like that. I've ridden 4 day trips in Baja before and although the bike has always been flawless, my body is kinda "done" at that point....lots of single track as well. Good on you for tackling that ride

Old 08-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #197

*I think the front brake pads are the same as a '85-'87 Honda Rebel 250. The EBC part number is FA86HH for sintered pads.* Have a set on the way, so we can see for sure.

1443+ miles in 10 days is going to hurt for sure.. I will post a link to my Delorme Track for those interested when the day gets close.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #198

Quote:

1443+ miles in 10 days is going to hurt for sure.. I will post a link to my Delorme Track for those interested when the day gets close.
You will be ok....
On the DB1k & now the DB1.4K
DB1k 1000km in 2 days
DB1.4K 1400km in 3 days...
both are around 80% offroad , 4wd tracks & back roads

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #199

TMD Skidplate installed! Tour ready...

The TM Designworks Skidplate showed up today and we jumped into action to get it put on. This was the last item before the bikes get loaded and we head North into the wilderness of Idaho!

The plastic skid plate went on well mostly using the bike's stock skid mounting locations. We drilled a single hole in the front mount and two on the rear mount. The factory mounts are much stronger than the 'frame clips' that come with the skidplate. So it didn't "bolt up", but it's not far from a bolt up.

Excellent water pump protection!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #200

Here are a couple shots of the way I moved the exhaust over to clear this massive tire:

It is rubbing the mud guard:

Dash layout for the trip; added a heavy duty USB port to charge phone and run the little auxiliary light (1250 lumens!)

My trusty Giant Loop bag wouldn't mount on the bars, so I moved it to the number plate. I know it looks dorky, but for a trip like this I need the quick access to phone, camera, saltchews, etc...

Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #201

Link to my tracker

For those who want to follow along on our adventure here is the link to our map. It shows the planned routes and once we get underway it will plot our tracks. We launch officially Friday September 1st.

https://share.garmin.com/CoreyH

(Double click on the bundle of red flags to get the map to where you can see details)

The key at the top explains thus:
1400+ mile trip from Utah Border to near Canada. Main route switches yellow to purple each day. Blue are alternates, Red are Challenge Sections. We must complete 2 CSs during our trip.

In the 10+ years that this challenge has existed only 47 riders have been awarded finisher status. It is estimated to have a less than 10% completion rate. It will be quite a challenge for any bike and rider to make it without any mechanical, navigational, or physical issues. To do it on a china bike will surely be a first. I just hope my old body is up to the task.

Any good karma we can get from the great folks on this board will be much appreciated!!

Old 08-30-2017, 12:28 AM   #202

Wow, didn't know that was a competitive event. It looks awesome, you're going to have a great time. Best of luck, hope bike and body hold up for you with no major issues

Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #203

Is CoreyH the same guy as Cory Hart the Canadian singer and musician?

Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #204

"I wear my sunglasses at night"

Old 08-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #205

I get that alot. That, or Corey Haim of Goonies fame. One coworker called me that for so long that new people actually thought it was my real name.

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 08-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #206

You should have lied and kept my brush with greatness dream alive. Lol

Old 08-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
You should have lied and kept my brush with greatness dream alive. Lol
Maybe I did. Have to keep my cover up.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 AM   #208

Quote:
I get that alot. That, or Corey Haim of Goonies fame. One coworker called me that for so long that new people actually thought it was my real name.
That's what they will call you on the trail for being the only China bike, the goonie.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #209

Day1 is finished.

Had a strange thing happen with the clutch. We had been riding hard and the motor was running about 220 on my temp screen. The nastiest Hill of the day and I was just about over the worst of it when I suddenly list the clutch. Grabbed front brake and slid backwards quite a way ending in a minor crash.

The motor case sides were so hot you could cook an egg on them. I tried adjusting the cable, but no luck.

We opened up the clutch and inspected it- the plates and fibers looked good. All the parts were so hot we had to wear our gloves to handle them.
We decided that the outer pressure plate wasn't clamping down all the way. We pulled the shim that the clutch bearing rides on and I had to adjust the cable back to its original position, but it worked and we got over that hill and through the many more climbs today.

Could excessive oil temp have caused the clutch push rods to lengthen to the point where the clutch started slipping, which caused the high temperature?

We will try to figure out a fix in the morning.

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 09-01-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: clarify

Old 09-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #210

Quote:
Day1 is finished.

Had a strange thing happen with the clutch. We had been riding hard and the motor was running about 220 on my temp screen. The nastiest Hill of the day and I was just about over the worst of it when I suddenly list the clutch. Grabbed front brake and slid backwards quite a way ending in a minor crash.

The motor case sides were so hot you could cook an egg on them. I tried adjusting the cable, but no luck.

We opened up the clutch and inspected it- the plates and fibers looked good. All the parts were so hot we had to wear our gloves to handle them.
We decided that the outer pressure plate wasn't clamping down all the way. We pulled the shim that the clutch bearing rides on and I had to adjust the cable back to its original position, but it worked and we got over that hill and through the many more climbs today.

Could excessive oil temp have caused the clutch push rods to lengthen to the point where the clutch started slipping, which caused the high temperature?

We will try to figure out a fix in the morning.
Anything new on this? I'm guessing you are continuing on with your fix from the day before. Hoping this works out for you and can carry you the rest of the way.

Tags
efi, fuel injection, lxr250, pitster