Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:11 AM   #1

Bike fail video

So, I had some gravel issue in our drive way, before a test ride.

No worries, I had my gear on, so all I got is just a scratch. I'm fine, my bike is fine, we are both ok.

Jumped back on the seat and had a few miles of test riding.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

We all do it eventually. You would be amazed at how many wipeouts happen at low speeds like that, especially on loose surfaces.

Take it from me, I would rather lay my bike over 100 times like that vs. one time at 60mph. Even with proper gear and CE armor...it stings a bit.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #3

i have 3 probs when they are combined ....
to higher bike + short legs + uneven ground = sitting on my ass..
Really I fall off my dam bikes more when at a stand still than moving..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

Time for riding lessons.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Looks like you were enjoying the ride while it lasted all of .03 seconds. LOL

I would be interested in reading about your security camera set up.

/

Old 08-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #6

Glad you are OK!

I laid my bike down in a similar fashion when I was taking a motorcycle safety test in High School in Golden, Colorado, in 1977.

We were doing the portion of the test where we were to ride up and down a straight line, with a person walking along the 'side of the road' next to us. At a certain point, the person was to jump out in front of us and we were to take evasive action.

I was on an asphalt surface, but it had some loose gravel on it. The guy jumped out in front of me, I swerved, and then applied the front brake. The front wheel began to slide; just like yours did. I made a mistake and grabbed MORE front brake, and then the gravel ended and the asphalt began. The now-sideways front tire grabbed and held, and I did an endo over the handlebars. The bike rode me for about 10 feet or so.

I ended up in the ER with a right hip popped out of its socket and road rash that ate right through my jeans from my right knee to my hip. The nurses scrubbed the gravel out with a wire brush and phisohex. Hurt like the dickens.

To this day, my hip kind of pops out whenever it feels like it. I have to sort of pop it back in when it does that. Doesn't hurt, but it does come out of where it's supposed to be. No scars, though, so I guess the wire brush did the trick.

Brings back memories!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post

I was on an asphalt surface, but it had some loose gravel on it.
That scenario causes more layovers than anything else. Even highly skilled and experienced riders are hard pressed to keep a bike upright if they hit sand/gravel on pavement. It's only about 1 step up from ice.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
Glad you are OK!

I laid my bike down in a similar fashion when I was taking a motorcycle safety test in High School in Golden, Colorado, in 1977.

We were doing the portion of the test where we were to ride up and down a straight line, with a person walking along the 'side of the road' next to us. At a certain point, the person was to jump out in front of us and we were to take evasive action.

I was on an asphalt surface, but it had some loose gravel on it. The guy jumped out in front of me, I swerved, and then applied the front brake. The front wheel began to slide; just like yours did. I made a mistake and grabbed MORE front brake, and then the gravel ended and the asphalt began. The now-sideways front tire grabbed and held, and I did an endo over the handlebars. The bike rode me for about 10 feet or so.

I ended up in the ER with a right hip popped out of its socket and road rash that ate right through my jeans from my right knee to my hip. The nurses scrubbed the gravel out with a wire brush and phisohex. Hurt like the dickens.

To this day, my hip kind of pops out whenever it feels like it. I have to sort of pop it back in when it does that. Doesn't hurt, but it does come out of where it's supposed to be. No scars, though, so I guess the wire brush did the trick.

Brings back memories!
Sounds serious. :(

Like 2 years ago my brother had a bike accident. He was riding fast in an old road, cars are rare there. But then he got a deer in his face. That stupid animal had a suicide jump, then my brother fell. After the hospital he cannot work for 3 months, he broke his leg, he almost broke his arm too + bruises. He is lucky to be alive.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:55 PM   #9

I did the same thing on my KX when slowed down for a 5 year old boy riding an ATV in the sand. His dad and I both got a really good laugh.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #10

this happened to me earlier, Scooter is a heavyweight for a 50, and small tires, don't take well to the sand that has formed at the end of my driveway. twisted the hell out of my foot, the other night I came back from walmart and some waste of oxygen teenagers had hidden an effing brick at the end of it, and covered it with dirt, came back home and hit it coming into the driveway, scooter landed on top of me, exhaust burned a hole through my jeans over my boot, cracked the plastic which is nearly impossible to find, I had a hell of a time getting it off of me, it weighs over 200 pounds

Old 10-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet40 View Post

So, I had some gravel issue in our drive way, before a test ride.

No worries, I had my gear on, so all I got is just a scratch. I'm fine, my bike is fine, we are both ok.

Jumped back on the seat and had a few miles of test riding.
k
I did the same thing on my dads 1981 honda cm400 automatic. I rushed back home and put it back in the barn so he wouldnt see the tweeked highway bars

Old 12-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Looks like you were enjoying the ride while it lasted all of .03 seconds. LOL

I would be interested in reading about your security camera set up.

/
It's a "LaView" security system with a 1 TB harddrive. Pretty easy to install, I se everything with it, all the shady people came to our house got cought on camera. The quality is not that great though, seeing car's license plates is pretty much impossible, but it works for years now and it was cheap, so I'm not complaining. I paid $350 for it, recording in mp4 video files, what is works with some video editors, while it doesn't with others.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

I ride my spouse's moped too. Not made for ice / snow-covered roads, that's for sure. It's nice on dry roads though.

I ride extremely slow during winter, and I was almost stopped there when it happened. So I'm alright.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #14

Happened to me this spring. I was turning around in my sister's driveway and there's some cinders on the concrete. The bike was barely moving, but the front tire just washed out and I went straight down. Nothing was hurt other than my pride and a mirror mount.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400