Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 03:41 PM   #1

Supercharger (electric?)

So I’ve been researching turbos and I just found out a nasty little thing, some or all require oil or water cooling because of the really high rpms inside! I was all about bolting something onto my exhaust that forces more air into the combustion area. But active cooling? On an air cooled bike that would mean adding a water cooler or drilling two holes into the wet area of the engine

So wouldn’t supercharging be the way to go if I don’t want to drill on the wet engine area? Also I don’t see why not just use a 12v electric air compressor to force air in there? Those portable things can hit 100+ PSI is that not enough to make a massive difference? I’m fuzzy on how you’d go about converting psi to bars but I read that even 1 bar is enough for a turbo.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:02 PM   #2

Worth doing a google search on this topic. The idea has been kicked around for years on many different forums. Generally speaking the electric motor is going to require more power to drive than any performance increase the engine may see.
It's not just about pressure, it's about the volume that can be delivered, then you also need to account for additional fueling to take advantage of the increased air.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 PM   #3

One reason we like turbos as they are to a degree "free power" as they only restrict exhaust flow a bit to work. Where superchargers, electric or not, rob actual power from the engine to work.
Not all turbos are water cooled and it's not strictly necessary. One of my daily drivers has a non water cooled turbo and I have been driving it without mercy for over ten years and it was well-used before I got it.

There are actual books about turbocharging stuff written by folks with a lot more qualifications than fairly random folks on the net. The most helpful one I've found for such DIY projects is by Corky Bell. "Maximum Boost" I think it is, it's around here somewhere. Well worth reading before jumping into the deep end. You can't just bolt a turbo and and go. Or everybody would have one on everything. Not saying you can't just saying you might want a better handle on what's involved before the hands-on learning starts.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:58 PM   #4

strap on an 18v leaf blower and see if you get any benefit before spending the big bucks...

Old 04-04-2024, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
One of my daily drivers has a non water cooled turbo and I have been driving it without mercy for over ten years and it was well-used before I got it..
That sounds awesome do you have any guides or videos on yours? Sounds practical not just “because I can “ as some of the other stuff I’ve seen.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:47 PM   #6

Cleetus McFarland has videos of him testing rechargeable single and dual 48v Torqamps on a car. They were VERY noticeable. It has been a few years since I saw it but I do remember it was a small 4 cylinder car with possibly a 2.2L engine. The biggest set back is they are $2500 each. At any rate, his videos are very entertaining and well worth a watch, all 6-8 years of them.
2023 Lifan X-Pect 200 #141 - HAAARD BREAK IN
Currently running .003 EXH/.0015 INT

Last edited by Steve850; 04-07-2024 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I'm on mobile. I posted the message while trying to move the screen.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve850 View Post
Cleetus McFarland has videos of him testing rechargeable single and dual 48v Torqamps on a car. They were VERY noticeable. It has been a few years since I saw it but I do remember it was a small 4 cylinder car with possibly a 2.2L engine. The biggest set back is they are $2500 each. At any rate, his videos are very entertaining and well worth a watch, all 6-8 years of them.
There it is…. My idea manifested already. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe7dust View Post
There it is…. My idea manifested already. Thanks.
You're welcome.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:01 PM   #9

Here is a much cheaper option from Garage 54, they have hundreds of videos of them testing random ideas on Ladas.