Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 09:18 AM   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
As mentioned in another thread, I’m in Maine visiting with our oldest daughter and her family. After we got set up in our hotel, we drove over to our kid’s house for pizza. Where our SIL told me that the oldest granddaughter asked her parents if I might leave her the Ural in my will.

I’m thinking, “Damn the arthritis, I better start looking over my shoulder.”
I'm constantly checking for ninja hit squads in my neighborhood. The fact that I have not seen any just means they are very good at hiding.....
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 11-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #587

She's going to be here over Christmas. I think I'll have her trying to kick start it. If she is successful, we'll move to the back yard and see if she can work the clutch and run slow circles and figure 8s.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #588

Quote:
She's going to be here over Christmas. I think I'll have her trying to kick start it. If she is successful, we'll move to the back yard and see if she can work the clutch and run slow circles and figure 8s.
put it in 2WD before you do.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #589

While in Maine, I hit one my favorite antique stores, Big Chicken Barn.
https://www.bigchickenbarn.com/

I usually score something interesting. Because of the 1948 DeSoto, I picked up a May 1948 issue of Automotive Digest, a repair shop mag. While paging through it, I found an ad for Jawa motorcycles.

1948 was the year the Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia. The Soviets nationalized Jawa and merged it with CZ.*

Thought it was kind of a cool ad to find.

*I had to look it up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #590

Rig is loaded and ready to leave at zero dark thirty tomorrow for the Chicago Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade. https://chicagolandtft.org/

A couple buddies that live closer to the city are leaving at zero dark zero. Not this kid out in prairie. Too many amorous deer getting it on that early in the A of M.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 12-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #591

It's Ural weather.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-11-2023, 10:41 PM   #592

I kind of thought this was why it took me so long to get shit done. I proved it today.

The plan was to get the Christmas decorations off of the Ural. While getting that done, I noticed that another bobbin on the front rotor ran off. Kind of a pain in the ass to get that replaced with the caliper in place. So, pull the caliper and get the new bobbin in. Then I noticed I had a wobble in the hub. Pull the wheel and check the bearings. They're good but in need of adjustment. Pull the bearings and clean the hub bore. Reassemble and adjust the hub bearings. Put the wheel and the caliper back on. All good. Clean the gook off my hands then grab my roller blade bag to toss it in the sidecar. Notice that the hack windshield is still in place but folded down. Grab the two wrenches needed to remove the windshield and get that done. Then notice the floor of the sidecar is getting kind of messy, so pull the floor mat out and vacuum out a shitload of summer. Put the mat back in place, throw my skate bag in the hack, and batten down the tonneau cover.

So, that's why it took me two and a half hours to take the Christmas lights off of Arpok.

It was such a nice day that I rode the rig to the roller rink, only to find out the rink is closed for maintenance.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-19-2023, 07:30 PM   #593

Well, that was fun.

I needed to replace one part. It's called a distance spacer.

There wasn't much left. I wasn't even aware the part existed until a couple months ago. It's supposed to be replaced around 10,000 miles. Almost 40K on the rig now.

Anyway, the sidecar drive hub needs to be replaced every once in a while, so that was on the list to do, too. That's when all the fun started. I tried a gear puller but it wouldn't fit behind the hub. That's when I had to buy a bearing separator kit.

Two hours killed getting the kit. All the kit managed to do was push the sidecar axle yoke and rear bearing out which necessitated completely removing the sidecar axle to get the drive hub and front bearing out. I managed that with a 5lb slide hammer.

I finally got to use my hydraulic press to get the old hub out of the bearing and press the new hub in. Used a 2" socket, extension, and BFH to get the bearing and hub back in the frame.

With the sidecar axle out, I checked and greased the u-joints then wrestled it into place. I cut a piece of 1" tubing, twice, to use as a pilot to pull the rear axle bearing into the frame with the axle nut. I quit there yesterday.

This morning, I finished installing the sidecar axle, along with safety wiring the bolts and started removing the fender, lights, and wiring. All the bolts were rusted. I broke most of those but expected that.

I ran to Ace to get the new hardware and had lunch. Got the new fender bolted on, harness and lights in place, and undercoated the fender. While I mounted everything, I lost the wrench I just had in my hand several times, watched as anything I dropped disappeared into an alternate universe, and swore loudly when I realized I was still holding a washer between my teeth after having tightened the bolt that it was supposed be on.

Installed the backing plate, hooked up the brake rod, fit the wheel, and adjusted the brake. I didn't know the wheel was meant to fit that nicely.

Get the rig back on the ground and do TCLOCKS. Sunuva...right turn signal is not working. It's an amber 1156 LED bulb. I have no replacements but I do have an incandescent 1156 bulb, so that's in there until the new LEDs get here.

I want to fill in the log book with everything I did. I turn the ignition switch on...and the damn GPS speedo isn't coming on. Grrrr! Wiring for that is behind the headlight. Remove the fairing, pull the headlight, start checking wiring. I found the power plug to the speedo had come loose. I got it all back together and said screw it. It's 4pm, I'm done. Fill in the logbook and pick up all the tools tomorrow. Then go for a ride.

I never even mentioned what a turd the Kenda was to get off the rim.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #594

Got out for about 80 miles on this unseasonably warm Presidents' Day. Promptly found a muddy puddle to christen the new fender, so that is out of the way.

Also took the first step to finding the CX a new home today.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #595

I did the camo paint on the new sidecar fender today.

New fender.

First color. It looks white but is actually a very light green.

Second and third colors. Only because I forgot to take a pic before starting the third color.
The second color was dark brown. Third was Olive Drab.

I stopped here for today. Tomorrow will be a coat or two of clear satin.

The light green and dark brown are Vallejo acrylic airbrush paint. The OD is good old Testors acrylic. Applied with a Badger Anthem airbrush.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #596

I think I missed it, but why did the fender need to be replaced? just rust?

Old 05-07-2023, 06:33 PM   #597

Parking brake needs adjusting.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #598

Quote:

Parking brake needs adjusting.
Holy Shit-Balls!! Everyone ok?!?!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-07-2023, 08:33 PM   #599

Good job cheesy !

Old 05-07-2023, 10:27 PM   #600

Nothing hurt but my pride.

It was pretty warm today, finally. Arpok had been parked in the sun for a while, in neutral, with the parking brake set, and on a slight grade. I threw some stuff in the trunk, went up to the front door to see what was keeping Mrs.Cheesy. Heard a noise, turned, and saw Arpok sitting in the ditch. I wonder if the drums expanded just a bit when the sun heated them up.

Arpok picked my wettest ditch to roll into and was stuck good. I needed the Jeep to drag it out. I went through the drum brakes this afternoon and readjusted the parking brake. The driveway to the barn is steeper and I couldn't make it budge with the brakes set once I got the PB adjusted. Also found the brake linkage on the sidecar needs some work.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800