Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

Method to bypass having to hold the brakes to start

The feature that makes you hold the hand brake or foot brake to start bugs me. I got used to it for electric starting by using the foot brake, but if you try to kick start it is a cluster-F. For me anyway.

Trying to hold the hand brake and open the throttle just a tad (which I need to do to kick start) is difficult. I accidentally opened the throttle too much and the engine revved a bit high when the bike started.

So, I bought a momentary switch (same type as a starter switch or kill switch) to mount on the clutch side of the handlebar that I will wire in parallel with the hand brake switch. When I go to start I will press that button simulating the brake being applied, be able to modulate the throttle easily, and kick away.

I tried to track down a relay that is activated by either of the brakes, but couldn't find one (this is on an Orion RXB150). I was going to jump out the contacts if I had found it allowing the starter to crank without the relay being made by the brake(s).

This switch method accomplishes the same thing.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #2

Does your manual not have a wiring diagram in it ? You should be able to just easily delete the offending switch instead of adding another switch to your bike .

Old 03-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Disconnect the sensor and hardwire the two together. Usually side stand or clutch have the sensors... and usually everyone disables them, although the clutch one has saved me a paint job before now.
1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 03-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Does your manual not have a wiring diagram in it ? You should be able to just easily delete the offending switch instead of adding another switch to your bike .
Orion doesn't provide a manual...so no wiring diagram. When I had the headlight, tank, and seat off I traced all the wires to connectors and didn't find a relay anywhere except the starter relay. If I delete the switch(s) I won't have brake lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossbag View Post
Disconnect the sensor and hardwire the two together. Usually side stand or clutch have the sensors... and usually everyone disables them, although the clutch one has saved me a paint job before now.
There is no sensor to disconnect. The starter circuit is activated by either pressing the hand brake or foot brake. The only wires coming off these locations are the wires that activate the brake light. That is why I was thinking that these wires were also landed in parallel on the coil of a relay, which would have normally open contacts thru which the starter circuit is powered.

A clutch or side stand switch do not power anything, they just close a circuit via a normally open contact that is made when the clutch is pulled in or the stand is put up. So wire-nutting the two wires simulates the switch being made.

Both comments do make me think that maybe I can find what I am looking for by tracing the coil wires from the starter relay back to where one of them might be interrupted by the brakes being activated. I went from the other direction before (from the brake handle and pedal toward the starter relay).

Orion RXB 150XL